Thread: JBL 4350 new clone

JBL 4350 new clone

Hi, I’d like your opinion about this my project. I would built a pair of cabinets similar to JBL 4350 but different for the components (see the picture):
    JBL 2226h X 2
    JBL 2202h (or JBL 2123h)
    JBL 2426h + custom wood horn (I can’t change these - see the picture)
    JBL 2405h
    Dimension 116 x 89 x 50 cm - internal 112 x 85 x 46 cm
    With this dimensions the internal volume is 437,920 liters, I need to deduct the volume of the box for the midrange JBL 2202h (I don’t know how much) and the volume of the two JBL 2226h. I know that in the JBL 4508 cabinets the volume is 225 liters, remain a big difference: how can I resolve this problem? What this the right number and dimension of the reflex hole?
    Thanks for your help
    Giuseppe
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hello

2226's wont have the same low end as the stock system. You plan on using subs?? I would go with 2123's much easier to find and you only need a .5 cubic ft sub enclosure.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

On FB I meeted some persons who has a couple of JBL 4508 and they said me that the bass is fantastic... unfortunately I have these unused woofers

Quote Originally Posted by audiophile.1963 View Post
    On FB I meeted some persons who has a couple of JBL 4508 and they said me that the bass is fantastic... unfortunately I have these unused woofers
    If someone on Facebook told me that ice was a different state of liquid water, I would feel the need to run my own tests to verify.

On the subject of 2226 woofers in high performance monitors, I personally am not a fan. That said, if you have them and feel you must use them, you should consider going with a scenario similar to that of the JBL 4435 monitor. That speaker also has woofers with a rising response so doubling the output at the lowest frequencies helps extend and smooth the response.

Widget

2405 + 2426 + 2123 should be a great match, but 2226 won´t do it for hifi.
    You will be always missing the last octave and will try to compensate by equalizing, using subwoofer etc...
    If it is manageable for you, try to sell the unused 2226 for good money and buy real woofers. The 2226 are midbass-woofer, not lowbass...

In case you ultimatly want to stick to these 2226 you will have to eq the bottom end.
    Or maybe apply some amount of aquaplas to rise the mms and lower the fs. I believe a couple of years ago someone around this forum has tried that. The result is supposed to be somehow similar to a JBL 1500GTI car-woofer. These woofers aren´t the usual car-woofers, infact they are very very good sounding!
    But I cannot guarantee this works, please do a search on this forum.

Always go back to the OEM to see what systems they were used in. The 4648 is part of the high power cinema series so in actual use they would have subwoofers used below them. Usable to 35Hz won't cut it if you want a solid bottom octave. Must say for what they do cover they can literally beat you to death impact wise so very good over their range.

https://jblpro.com/en/site_elements/4648a-spec-sheet

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Must say for what they do cover they can literally beat you to death impact wise so very good over their range.
    I never thought about using JBLs as weapons, but I see your point.

Widget

as long as you’re still in the pondering phase:

1) looks like a fun project!
    2) likely could be made to sound very good.
    3) it is a very large deviation from a 4350/4355...
    meaning a -lot- of testing and work, that can little depend on (or borrow from) existing systems.
    4) details are everything.

I imagined that by quoting FB I would have created a bit of discontent, but even I'm not a fan of FB only that sometimes there is some interesting opinion and information. I know that the JBL 2226h are not real subwoofer, I also own a pair of JBL 2225h, but I think they are the same thing. I also know that the most suitable woofers would be the JBL 2235h, but the foam suspensions are not nice to me. In a previous realization of mine I used a pair of JBL 2231h (see photo) to which I eventually replaced the foam with the rubber. I was tired of changing them because they often deteriorated and in Italy these spare parts cost, in the USA it is easier. I started the discussions because on this site I have always found kind and competent people, I treasure your opinions. Do you think there is no remedy for these woofers? By increasing the volume and the absorbent?
    I accept advice, thank you.
    Thanks for all
    Giuseppe

PS: I read the post of the man who had built a clone of the JBL 4350 and had tried both the JBL 2226h and the JBL 2235h, choosing the last ones, only that volume and conduits had been calculated for them.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by audiophile.1963 View Post
    Do you think there is no remedy for these woofers? By increasing the volume and the absorbent?
    If you want performance similar to the original the answer is simple. No.

I would suggest you build "test mules", basic test boxes and try out your options before committing to beautiful woodworking.

Are you familiar with the JBL Enclosure Guide document?

These may be too costly, but could you consider buying a couple of pairs of new JBL 2216ND? These woofers are a serious step up over the original 2231A or 2235H and they do not have foam surrounds.
    https://reconingspeakers.com/product...bl-m2-5041785/

Lastly, one of the things that makes the 4350 special is the 2440 driver. Substituting the 2440 with the 2426 will be a significant step backwards. The 2445 drivers are typically very economical and can be substituted for the 2440. Ideally you would replace the 2445 diaphragms with Aluminum or Beryllium.

Widget

Widget has made a good suggestion with the 2216nd woofers.

Another possible woofer could be the JBL 1501FE. They also use cloth surround as the 2216nd, but they use a ferrit magnet and should be 200$ cheaper.
    I believe the 2216nd is better in the midrange, but in the bass below 300hz they both should be great.

Thread Information