Thread: Where have these speakers been all my life?

Where have these speakers been all my life?

I had time for a project during this crazy Coronavirus era, so I picked up a pair of C51 Apollo speakers that were pretty beat up on the outside, and had almost no bass at all as the Lansaloy surrounds were hard as a rock.

Some TLC on the cabinets and new foam surrounds have made a world of difference, and they are looking and sounding wonderful. I hope everyone is hanging in there during this crazy time and I thought I'd post a pic of my new setup that is keeping me happy and occupied during the extended sheltering in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sounds like time well spent! Aesthetically those are among my favorite vintage JBLs. What system do you have in them, the S7?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Sounds like time well spent! Aesthetically those are among my favorite vintage JBLs. What system do you have in them, the S7?

Widget
    Yes the hand carved lattice grilles are one of a kind. I had to glue one of them back together but it came out well and unless you look closely, you don't see the imperfections (it has a couple of missing lattice pieces which I assume are basically irreplaceable).

I have the S6 system inside. That's how these came and I didn't do anything to the insides except the new foam surrounds (boy were those old ones tough to get out). After the refoaming they sound great, although I'd love to hear an S7 for comparison as that seems to be the most desirable combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlingmd View Post
    I had time for a project during this crazy Coronavirus era, so I picked up a pair of C51 Apollo speakers that were pretty beat up on the outside, and had almost no bass at all as the Lansaloy surrounds were hard as a rock.

Some TLC on the cabinets and new foam surrounds have made a world of difference, and they are looking and sounding wonderful. I hope everyone is hanging in there during this crazy time and I thought I'd post a pic of my new setup that is keeping me happy and occupied during the extended sheltering in place.

Those look wonderful!

Well Done!

I have the S6 system inside. That's how these came and I didn't do anything to the insides except the new foam surrounds (boy were those old ones tough to get out). After the refoaming they sound great, although I'd love to hear an S7 for comparison as that seems to be the most desirable combination.
    The LE85 in the S7 has a more extended top end and may have a slightly better mid performance than the LE175. My first JBL system was a pair of S7s, I found the top end far too rolled off for my taste. I suggest you add a tweeter to your current system. I think you'll find the added sparkle will be welcomed.

Widget

Those a look great! I always liked how those speakers looked one of my favorites! I am doing a project as well! Why not might as well make best use of the time.

Widget brings up a good point. Do they have pre-drilled holes for say either an 075/077?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Those a look great! I always liked how those speakers looked one of my favorites! I am doing a project as well! Why not might as well make best use of the time.

Widget brings up a good point. Do they have pre-drilled holes for say either an 075/077?

Rob
    Thanks everyone. It's been a super fun and gratifying project.

As for an 075 or 077 tweeter, I don't see any pre-drilled holes, but could I just put it in the empty space on the top right, shown below? And do you just wire it in parallel or do you need a separate crossover, etc.?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello

On the other side you have what looks like a blocked off port. You can use that board to mount an 075/077 drill the hole and drop it in there. There may even be a pre-drilled hole under it. You would need an additional crossover. Not sure which depending on what other drivers you use. Look up in the catalogs on the site. We should have the schematics on site. Look at the N7000 as an example used in the Paragon to use an 075 with a 375 mid driver.

https://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/T...ragon%20ts.pdf

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello

On the other side you have what looks like a blocked off port. You could take it out drill the hole and drop it in there. You would need an additional crossover. Not sure which depending on what other drivers you use. Look up in the catalogs on the site. We should have the schematics on site. Look at the N7000 as an example used in the Paragon to use an 075 with a 375 mid driver.

https://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/T...ragon%20ts.pdf

Rob
    Thanks Rob. Very helpful. You’re right there is a blocked off port on the left, which is a little bigger than the open space on the right. With pre-drilled holes given that there are 4 screws holding the piece in place that blocks the port. I’ll look into this and really appreciate the information.

If you want to be period correct the N7000 and the 075 would be the way to go. If on the other hand you want better sound and a smaller investment there are many options to explore.

The JBL ring radiators 075,076,077/2402,2403,2405 are essentially no longer serviceable and are highly prized as collector’s items. Less so as high quality audio solutions if you are picking them up via eBay roulette.

Widget

If you want to be period correct the N7000 and the 075 would be the way to go. If on the other hand you want better sound and a smaller investment there are many options to explore.

The JBL ring radiators 075,076,077/2402,2403,2405 are essentially no longer serviceable and are highly prized as collector’s items. Less so as high quality audio solutions if you are picking them up via eBay roulette.

Widget
    Thanks. At the risk of going beyond the scope of the general information thread, are there any specific other, smaller investment options that you think would generally match well with the S6 system?

Thanks. At the risk of going beyond the scope of the general information thread, are there any specific other, smaller investment options that you think would generally match well with the S6 system?
    I haven’t researched your options, but you’ll need a tweeter that has a sensitivity that equals or is higher than that of the LE15A. The LE15A has a 94dB @ one meter sensitivity so you’ll need a fairly sensitive tweeter like a Fostex or another horn loaded tweeter. A simple to implement but expensive alternative would be one of the high sensitivity dome supertweeters from Tannoy.

Once you find a tweeter you like then you’ll also need to conjure up an appropriate network.

The 075 and N7000 is certainly an easier solution, but even when they were readily available new I wasn't a real fan. Now with the problems of getting a pair of drivers and networks that are still within spec, I would definitely get creative and look elsewhere.

Widget

I haven’t researched your options, but you’ll need a tweeter that has a sensitivity that equals or is higher than that of the LE15A. The LE15A has a 94dB @ one meter sensitivity so you’ll need a fairly sensitive tweeter like a Fostex or another horn loaded tweeter. A simple to implement but expensive alternative would be one of the high sensitivity dome supertweeters from Tannoy.

Once you find a tweeter you like then you’ll also need to conjure up an appropriate network.

The 075 and N7000 is certainly an easier solution, but even when they were readily available new I wasn't a real fan. Now with the problems of getting a pair of drivers and networks that are still within spec, I would definitely get creative and look elsewhere.

Widget
    Thanks. Very helpful. Boy would those Tannoy ST100s in walnut with the gold trim look good sitting on top of the Apollos. But...

Thread Information