Thread: Claude Shannon's better half

Claude Shannon's better half

I knew of the male Shannon because of the Nyquist - Shannon theorem. Harry Nyquist actually came up with some of these ideas but, while never having been proved wrong about literally anything, worked for practical applications and had little time for rigorous mathematical fleshing out of the whys and wherefores. Betty, of course, I had not heard of. Shades of the physicist Lisa Meitner. This is literally the only piece on either Shannon I had ever read.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/b...=pocket-newtab
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thanks for that. Good to hear from you. Hope you're staying safe and healthy.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Thanks for that. Good to hear from you. Hope you're staying safe and healthy.
    Likewise. Good so far. It is strange that with the lack of testing it can be two weeks before you know if you have it or not. Because of my age and pre-existing conditions, if i get it my chances of survival are slight and zip of surviving without further, debilitating lung damage. I'm not worried or fearful. If my number is up, I am a Philosophical Taoist and I would most likely accept it with calm and a sense of wonder.

Isn't it amazing that in a few short months the new normal has become if you have not heard from someone you wonder if they have died - with good reason. How are you and yours?

Hi Clark,

Good to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Likewise. Good so far. It is strange that with the lack of testing it can be two weeks before you know if you have it or not. Because of my age and pre-existing conditions, if i get it my chances of survival are slight and zip of surviving without further, debilitating lung damage. I'm not worried or fearful. If my number is up, I am a Philosophical Taoist and I would most likely accept it with calm and a sense of wonder.

Isn't it amazing that in a few short months the new normal has become if you have not heard from someone you wonder if they have died - with good reason. How are you and yours?
    I have a feeling most of us here are in that boat. I saw that article the other day on MSN. The golden era of wonderment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Everyone here is fine, thanks. I'm 67-years-old treated for diabetes and high blood-pressure and cholesterol (typical American, apparently) and still considered "essential" and still working. My company wouldn't even let us wear masks and we have no sick-leave in our employment contracts. Finally they've agreed to masks and say they will supply them . . . within three-weeks!!! I was actually hoping for a furlough so I can get some projects completed. I have something unfinished in every room, basement, and garage in this house.

A happy Easter and Passover to everyone.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hi Clark,

Good to hear from you.
    Hi Ian, sorry to be so elusive lately. I did finally get my phone in a state where I can hear on it and keep it charged up. I have to wonder, did Edgewound get his operation up and supplied in time to recone the JBLs for your trip back home?

How is the family and the local water shortage?

Hi Clark,

Yes. I got the drivers sometime later. Edgewound work is meticulous.

We are fine in the context of everything that is going on.
    No water shortage in our region that I am aware off. We are currently streaming through the latest session of Ozark.

Thread Information