Thread: Lancer 77 Swapping 10” drivers to mirror when horizontal?

Lancer 77 Swapping 10” drivers to mirror when horizontal?

I have a pair of Lancer 77 that I am going to use on their sides. I have heard that you can swap the 10” woofer with the 10” PR in one of the speakers so that they will image better in the horizontal setup. Does anyone know if it is recommended to have the active Woofers on the inside positions or the outside? Has anyone else experimented with this? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmac View Post
    I have a pair of Lancer 77 that I am going to use on their sides. I have heard that you can smith the 10” woofer with the 10” PR in one of the speakers so that ther will image better in the horizontal setup. Does anyone know if it is recommended to have the active Woofers on the inside positions or the outside? Has anyone else experimented with this? Thanks
    Would probably depend on how far apart your placements puts the boxes. Though see if you can tell the difference before you go to the trouble by just flipping one upside down where you're playing them now.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Ha, I'd do it just to calm my brain. Once done, you can experiment. I'd try woofers to the inside first.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Ha, I'd do it just to calm my brain. Once done, you can experiment. I'd try woofers to the inside first.
    Thanks, I did try it with the Woofers inside and tweeters on top. This seems to work pretty well since my listening position is fairly close. I will try the previous suggestion of flipping them over to get the woofers on the outside to see if there is any difference. I will also have to swap left and right speakers since I moved the drivers.

Thanks

Woofers on the inside tweeters on top works great. These image well with a wide sound stage, however ther is little depth. I realize that these are not top of the line, they are a family heirloom that were purchased by my uncle before I was born. The first decent speakers I ever heard. Good fun.

The upside-down suggestion was only to save you the trouble of moving the large drivers before you determined if mirroring them made any difference. It was not a suggestion that the tweeter might work better on the bottom. If you have them mirrored now, don't bother to change them again! Have fun with them and appreciate them for what they are. If the experience ushers you into the world of better JBLs, then your uncle should have all the credit.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information