Thread: JBL 2214H - How high?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JBL 2214H - How high?

Wanted to know fellow forum member's experience with JBL 2214H. There is little to no tech info on this unit.

I want to build a 2-way with ESS AMT-1s - but don't want to use the AMT-1s, any less than 1.2Khz. I'm not bound to the 2214H, and am happy to consider other options (including non-JBLs).

Can the 2214H be used that high? I believe that's the crossover point in 4425 monitors, but I don't know if that was stretch.

Thanks,
    D

2214's should work fine based on use in the 4425. I use AMT's down to 850 Hz no problems.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    2214's should work fine based on use in the 4425. I use AMT's down to 850 Hz no problems.

Rob
    Thanks for posting, Rob. I took distortion measurements of the pair I purchased earlier this year and observed significant increase in distortion below 1.0Khz. Thus, I wanted to play it safe and keep them playing above 1.2Khz.

That being said, I'm not sure whether my distortion measurement setup is accurate.

Cheers,
    D

Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    Wanted to know fellow forum member's experience with JBL 2214H. There is little to no tech info on this unit.

I want to build a 2-way with ESS AMT-1s - but don't want to use the AMT-1s, any less than 1.2Khz. I'm not bound to the 2214H, and am happy to consider other options (including non-JBLs).

Can the 2214H be used that high? I believe that's the crossover point in 4425 monitors, but I don't know if that was stretch.

Thanks,
    D

Hi,

It's definitively worth checking out Jerv's 4425 remake ( thread from 2006 )

He nicely exposes/lays out the realities of working with the 2214H ( and a 1200 hz crossover point ).

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi,

It's definitively worth checking out Jerv's 4425 remake ( thread from 2006 )

He nicely exposes/lays out the realities of working with the 2214H ( and a 1200 hz crossover point ).

Hmm - interesting to learn about the resonance peak at 1.9Khz. Might make the passive x-over solution difficult. Have to think about it more - I'm not married to the 2214H.

I owned a pair of JBL L100ti for a short period, which I believe utilized the 2214H. I remember being really impressed with the bass they could produce. I just can't recollect how they sound on the high end.

Consider a steep 18 dB crossover.
    If you follow other AMT users applications you should be fine.

As always there are compromises and there is no one perfect answer.

For example if you want to avoid rising distortion then add a true mid driver like used in the Century Gold (available as a replacement component for about $330 each).

Crossover the AMT at 3500 hertz.

But you add cost and complexity.

Note that ESS weren’t that worried about a low crossover point but their QA on the Heil’s was very good so only the best of the best made it into production.

I personally think the AMT is a cool driver but you may get a better result with the Jbl mid cone and a Scan BE tweeter. You have to work up your own passive crossover of course.

Alternatively consider a 2344 bi radial horn with Radian one inch BE driver. That would most likely trump (sorry) the ESS on measurements and subjectively. I always found the ESS as rough as a badgers asshole against other alternatives. I am talking about a Volt 3 inch soft dome midrange and Scan silk dome tweeter. But your talking serious coin for world class drivers like those.

Good luck with your project.

I cross over to the Heil at ~3,500 Hz using the 2251J. I let the 2251J naturally roll off its bottom end. This is augmented by a 2241H in ~7.5 cu ft that crosses over ~225 Hz but with a very steep rolloff.

The Heils have my own design diffraction lenses and the rear wave is partially impeded by a foam insert.

This combination kicks the sh-t out of the L300s and has a really nice "slam" that is hard to achieve.

This cut (on CD) has excellent slam (as does most of MJs stuff), that I just don't get with the L300s.

https://youtu.be/aLEhh_XpJ-0

Thread Information