Thread: LX55 recone or replacement

sa660

LX55 recone or replacement

A friend has a pair of LX55 that will need new cone.
    Can you please advice on the cheapest solution that will keep a good sound?

Beyma replacement
    New foam replacement
    Recone kit.

ect...

The problem with the LX55, is that the woofer basket is a bit of an unusual flange size... as in, it's a BIGGER flange for an 8" woofer, than most other 8" woofers. This means, that most other 8" woofers WILL NOT bolt in, to the factory woofer bolt holes in the cabinet, and new holes will have to be drilled. If this is done, the old ones will also have to be filled in. Not exactly the easiest alternative.

Given this, if re-foaming is plausible (ie, no other damage), then that'd definitely be the most straight-forward solution. If not, then you will have to investigate getting aftermarket recones for the woofers, as AFAIK, there is no factory support for these drivers anymore. In fact, I've been trying to find a very similar driver (the 8" woofer from the JBL 82 speaker system, just prior to the LX series; almost exactly the same basket assembly structure), and I have not been able to find ANYTHING from JBL that remotely resembles an appropriate replacement part...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

I see some of the JBL630's on ebay quite frequently. These use a very similar (I think) 8" driver - in fact they have two per speaker. If you could get a pair of these cheap enough you'd have 4 8" drivers in a big hurry. Search for "jbl 630" and "jbl 630t".

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW
    The problem with the LX55, is that the woofer basket is a bit of an unusual flange size... as in, it's a BIGGER flange for an 8" woofer, than most other 8" woofers. This means, that most other 8" woofers WILL NOT bolt in, to the factory woofer bolt holes in the cabinet, and new holes will have to be drilled. If this is done, the old ones will also have to be filled in. Not exactly the easiest alternative.

Given this, if re-foaming is plausible (ie, no other damage), then that'd definitely be the most straight-forward solution. If not, then you will have to investigate getting aftermarket recones for the woofers, as AFAIK, there is no factory support for these drivers anymore. In fact, I've been trying to find a very similar driver (the 8" woofer from the JBL 82 speaker system, just prior to the LX series; almost exactly the same basket assembly structure), and I have not been able to find ANYTHING from JBL that remotely resembles an appropriate replacement part...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thread Information