Thread: Any mono valve amp recommendations for 4367?

Any mono valve amp recommendations for 4367?

Anyone?

Beuhler?

I do like some horsepower and XLR fittings so I am a bit restricted already.

Can’t say specifically for the 4367s, but I tried quite a few amps, both SS and tube on my E2s and I liked the Parasound Halo JC-1s the best. Musical, liquid and smooth, but with the control and the horsepower available if it is ever needed.

I doubt you will find any tube amp that sounds better on your speakers, unless you like the fat and uncontrolled bass of a single ended tube amp...but if that’s the case, you probably bought the wrong speakers and may be happier with a vintage design.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Can’t say specifically for the 4367s, but I tried quite a few amps, both SS and tube on my E2s and I liked the Parasound Halo JC-1s the best. Musical, liquid and smooth, but with the control and the horsepower available if it is ever needed.

I doubt you will find any tube amp that sounds better on your speakers, unless you like the fat and uncontrolled bass of a single ended tube amp...but if that’s the case, you probably bought the wrong speakers and may be happier with a vintage design.

Widget
    You know all the right things to say Widgey!

You might know thats what I currently have (JC1's).

I am NOT a tube guy , but have read good things about Bob Carvers
    amps. some are rather powerful. not cheap.

https://www.usatubeaudio.com/product...ono-block-amp/
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
    You might know thats what I currently have (JC1's).
    Do you have them set to high bias? If not, give it a try.

See if you can borrow some other amps to try... but even spending a ton of cash, I doubt you’ll find something you like better. That said, John Curl just finished his next generation JC-1. It is supposed to be really something. Not sure when it’ll be shipping. And, then again, it is also not a tube amp.

Widget

Horsepower and tubes seem to be difficult to get. The cleanest tubes I have enjoyed are the McIntosh MC2102 when running all GE tubes. That is 100W/channel stereo or bridged to 200W.

They don’t run their tubes as hard as the MC275, so you have added reliability and improved linearity. Disadvantage is that it basically sounds like a good solid state state amp so many McIntosh fans don’t like it compared to the Mc275. Advantage is that the resale value is favorable.

Unlike many tube amps, the MC2102 actually measures very well
    http://www.acousticpsychos.com/Files...MC2102_tst.pdf

Having compared to Parasound and Accuphase, my thoughts are

Parasound HCA-2205 running stereo (not the JC1)
    - bass is incredible. Makes speakers sound as if there is an added subwoofer. I know there are lots of papers explaining how damping factor isn’t critical beyond a certain point, but the Parasound “house sound” has incredible bass.
    - everything else is also excellent but midrange is better on the other two.

Accuphase Class A amp (35W pure class A into 8)
    - low power for your needs, but included as a comparison. The JC1 only gets to 25W in pure class A so the Accuphase is a competitor there. Within this power envelope, the Accuphase gives an incredible performance. Midrange is clean and precise with a very natural balance. It sounds virtually identical to my McIntosh.
    - for reasons I do not fully appreciate or understand, for a given SPL level on the meter, my Accuphase subjectively sounds louder. I do not know if this is simply bias, but I find myself able to listen in the milliwatt range comfortably and enjoying the music. I suspect this is the lack of distortion/phase accuracy.

MC2102.
    - slightly better midrange/vocals than Accuphase.
    - surprisingly similar to the Accuphase although SPL meter suggest I am listening louder with the Mc2102 to get the same subjective experience.
    - benefit of having more watts to play louder than the Accuphase
    - always a tiny bit of fear that the tubes will wear out and a bit of guilt when using up the tube lifespan for casual background listening rather than critical listening.

Tube amps

Do you have them set to high bias? If not, give it a try.

See if you can borrow some other amps to try... but even spending a ton of cash, I doubt you’ll find something you like better. That said, John Curl just finished his next generation JC-1. It is supposed to be really something. Not sure when it’ll be shipping. And, then again, it is also not a tube amp.

Widget
    Is Mike Sanders (Quicksilver Elec.) still up and running? I know Timbers used his stuff on mids at one time. I use his line amp. with good results - worth a check. Bruce Rozenblit has some interesting stuff - but have no info re hi fi use. He says it "sounds pretty darn good." Would like to know. He is an author, engineer; smart guy. I may build his phono amp (kit).

Peeps thank you all.

Mr Widget you know what, I have not flicked the switch to high bias yet, haha, and the weather is getting cooler...will try that this weekend, thank you.

Ooh those Macs sound nice thanks Alan D, will check them out but every time I get an itch to experiment with amps, I see the JC1's sitting there and feel guilty for having wandering eyes, haha! They have been incredible and continue to be, high SPL doesn't faze the SQ etc...or the 4367's for that matter...

Parasound HCA 2205- OK that is really interesting and yes, would kill for some new version JC1's...alas this money system holds me back...

Definitely flip the bias switch, prepare to warm up the room and hear a more liquid sound from your system. I doubt any McIntosh will better the JC-1s when in high bias... I might be wrong, I certainly haven’t had the opportunity to audition every amp they make, but I have had several SS and tube Macs at various times and have never been compelled to keep them. Those pretty blue meters are seductive though.

Widget

.....Those pretty blue meters are seductive though.

Widget
    That has to be the single, most successful marketing decision in audio.

If they're in your price range, David Berning mono-block tube amplifiers (845/211) are the best amps I've heard. At a quarter of the price, his Quad Z amplifiers are also excellent. Those are available in a pure class A version (25 watts) and class A-B (200 watts).

Hi Darren,

Looks like your having fun.

Keep an eye on the classifieds over on Stereonet.

Occasionally a steel comes up. .

I heard the new Parasound Halo Integrated at an MAC meeting in Melbourne. Its very good and has a nice immersive presentation.

Thread Information