Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Reconing LE20-1 in LE14C

Hello

Unfortunately that's not my kit. I am also wondering how the tweeter is attached the the Le-14. Normally the LE-14A has a vented pole piece. This appears to be blocked by a solid label. I wonder if there is/are a single/multiple screw to anchor the tweeter in place. All the older 075/076/077 had the retaining screw for the phase plugs under the label. To change the diaphragm you had to remove the label get access to the screw. Food for thought!

Good luck glad they helped.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I was thinking the same thing. I removed the badge on the back. Nothing, just a solids back.

I'll try removing the outer spider.

Thanks,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello

Unfortunately that's not my kit. I am also wondering how the tweeter is attached the the Le-14. Normally the LE-14A has a vented pole piece. This appears to be blocked by a solid label. I wonder if there is/are a single/multiple screw to anchor the tweeter in place. All the older 075/076/077 had the retaining screw for the phase plugs under the label. To change the diaphragm you had to remove the label get access to the screw. Food for thought!

Good luck glad they helped.

Rob

Look through the following set of pics for inspiration ( it shows a complete refurb of a pair of le14c's ).

https://vk.com/photo-10358368_346007193?rev=1

Name:  le20-le14c_spider-removed_mUSUDd5M3Ds.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  203.0 KBName:  le20-le14c_spider-le20_removed_i4L_4hVBnpk.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  190.2 KB

That helps, thanks. Looks like the top spider comes off and the top part of the LE20 pulls off (somehow, I still don't see screws!)
    I'm assuming the replacement kits come with the dome off. Looks like I need to install the new cone / VC loose in the top while off, connect the leads, reinstall the top, shim the VC and glue the cone in place. Reconnect the leads on the outside of the LE20 (under the outter spider), glue the dome on, reassemble everything and I should be good to go. Anyone have any corrections or sugestions to add to that?

Earl K, did you do that restoration? It's very well done, nice job. I did do a google search for the LE14C before this post but came up empty. But, I did find several images of the cat sleeping in the LE14. I should have dug a little deeper. I just thought that might lead me to a cat site or something like that. I never would have guessed a full blown resto of the LE14C!

Thanks for the pictures.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Look through the following set of pics for inspiration ( it shows a complete refurb of a pair of le14c's ).

https://vk.com/photo-10358368_346007193?rev=1

Well there you are now

My next guess would be that the tweeter is held in place either by adhesive or simply by magnetism.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric M. View Post
    That helps, thanks. Looks like the top spider comes off and the top part of the LE20 pulls off (somehow, I still don't see screws!)
    I'm assuming the replacement kits come with the dome off. Looks like I need to install the new cone / VC loose in the top while off, connect the leads, reinstall the top, shim the VC and glue the cone in place. Reconnect the leads on the outside of the LE20 (under the outter spider), glue the dome on, reassemble everything and I should be good to go. Anyone have any corrections or sugestions to add to that?

Earl K, did you do that restoration? It's very well done, nice job. I did do a google search for the LE14C before this post but came up empty. But, I did find several images of the cat sleeping in the LE14. I should have dug a little deeper. I just thought that might lead me to a cat site or something like that. I never would have guessed a full blown resto of the LE14C!

Thanks for the pictures.

Eric

Thanks but no ( that's not my restoration, I believe its from a poster in Belarus ).

Look through all 133 pics ( pay attention to the pics showing the thread owner drilling out holes for the locating pins > on the top part of the assembly that holds the cone kit ).

RobH has previously shown you a pic that shows one type of pre-assembled recone assembly, ( as shipped from JBL for some other variant of the le20 ).

This should help you puzzle it out for yourself from this point on > if not > maybe it's time to send it to a pro like Ken at Uplands in California .

Note the difference ( between these two kit models ) in how the VC leads are dressed to the outside frame ( additionally, Robs pic shows an extra 3/4"-1" flange > which would need to be milled off to be used in the le14C ).

Name:  Cone Assembly_pwi7j9iaIaY.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  206.2 KB
    Name:  Milling_RObIE5_Prfk.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  156.8 KB

Good point. The LE85 and 375 are all magnetism after the cover screws come off.
    I'll tackle and report back.

Thanks,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Well there you are now

My next guess would be that the tweeter is held in place either by adhesive or simply by magnetism.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric M. View Post
    Anyone have any experience reconing the LE20 tweeter in the LE14C coaxial speaker? I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks,

Eric M.
    I haven't done one in the last 20 years. The replacement part from the factory was the a preassembled cone/voice coil/felt suspension on the cast aluminum mounting frame. Remove/replace was considerably simpler than rebuilding with new soft parts.

My aftermarket supplier has the parts listed, but I have not needed to rebuild one. It would require an LE20 complete core to use as an assembly jig. I have done a few LE25 tweeters with the loose, and I can tell you, it's a challenge due to the diminutive size of the parts.

In the case of the LE14C, I'd need the original assembly in total to attempt a rebuild.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thanks,
    I think I'll jump into it and see what I come up with. I'll post up with questions as I go.

Eric M.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    I haven't done one in the last 20 years. The replacement part from the factory was the a preassembled cone/voice coil/felt suspension on the cast aluminum mounting frame. Remove/replace was considerably simpler than rebuilding with new soft parts.

My aftermarket supplier has the parts listed, but I have not needed to rebuild one. It would require an LE20 complete core to use as an assembly jig. I have done a few LE25 tweeters with the loose, and I can tell you, it's a challenge due to the diminutive size of the parts.

In the case of the LE14C, I'd need the original assembly in total to attempt a rebuild.

Thread Information