Thread: Bang for bux ?

Question Bang for bux ?

Suppose I'm frugal. (true) , I look for best product for most reasonable price.

examples: was recently listening to some budget level Shure IEM's and was impressed, so I got out my much more expensive Shure IEM's (3x cost) and compared on same source.
    Preferred the cheaper ones.

vehicles: in the market for a new SUV last year, lots out there to choose from. Looked at CR testing. One stood out against others that were 2x-3x times the price. Bought the recommended one and zero issues have presented. good choice.

SO , the Q is : what is there in the audio world (new or used) that fills the bang for bux answer ?

Unfortunately, classic JBL, Marantz & MacIntosh seem to have mostly been priced out of this category.

(tho I still regard JBL 120Ti's as "under the radar" and a B4Bux answer)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Soundcraftsmen? Ashly? Emotiva? I've heard lots about their gear and the reading I've done seems to support that they make good stuff. Been waiting for an Ashly MFA-8000 to come up. A Soundcraftsmen A-5002 has a lot of rep to it as well. Someday, I'd like to confirm these things.

I think those 120Ti's are starting to creep up in price. The ads I've seen recently all quote the L112 and say the 120Ti is the next step up. Ain't so sure I agree, never heard one and in the words of Joe Walsh, "Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice.." but I really like my L150A's. I wonder just how much better that titanium tweeter is and if the mid is any smoother or more articulate than the LE5-12. Might be a dirty word here but Klipsch Cornwalls and Chorus/Forte series can still be had for close to or less than $1,000 bux. I wrote a lil review regarding the Cornies vs the L150A and while the L's get my vote of approval, the Klipsch stuff was good enough such that I'm trying to get a hold of some Chorus II's...

New stuff? I dunno, I was looking into Emotiva stuff a month or so ago. Speakers though? Meh, don't like anything new, it's all Chinesium & Thaitanium. So are amps and stuff though now too.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    vI wonder just how much better that titanium tweeter is and if the mid is any smoother or more articulate than the LE5-12.
    the 044Ti was their TOTL when produced .

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    .....SO , the Q is : what is there in the audio world (new or used) that fills the bang for bux answer ?.....
    A few things come to mind. Several models of Elac speakers would qualify. Also speakers from GR Research in Texas. They sell cnc cut flatpack diy speaker kits including the panels, drivers, and crossovers. Out of date website, but a good following, including a YouTube channel.

One of the best budget pieces has to be the Raspberry pi 4 with the Ropieeexl OS. Surprisingly good network music server that's worthy of combining with a high quality d to a converter, for about $100. Adding a battery supply in place of the smps or a LPS for the pi and a split usb cable improves performance remarkably.

Many pieces from ifi Audio have very good sound quality at reasonable prices. The idsd dac and itube buffer/preamp are good values.

Monoprice.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    the 044Ti was their TOTL when produced .
    That's what they say and what I've heard, but what does my ear think? I'd love to audition a set of something with that tweeter in them, like say some 240ti's but no dice. Not sure I'm comfortable just spending a cool $300+ on a set only to find I don't like them as much ya know? Could always resell them, but dealing with people from a seller's perspective has yet to be a positive experience for me.

There is some crossover/EQ finesse required to get the best out of a 044Ti ... and the foam might be shot (same foam issue with an unmaintained 044).

I wouldn't personally recommend just dropping a 044Ti pair into a system designed for the 044, but one certainly could (watch out for threaded holes vs clear through holes re mounting).

I will cast another vote for Emotiva as I have some of their gear and it's well made and sounds great. Revel speakers even new offer really impressive performance I really like my Performa F206's The new near fields are well worth it as well especially on sale.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I don't think they are in business anymore *, but
    ADCOM had a lot of B4B , well made mid-fi that
    seems to endure, even in 2020.

AFAIR , it wasn't expensive, and some of their gear even
    had notable designers.

* wow, just looked them up ... still around ==>>

https://www.adcom.com/aboutus.php

the IEM's I referred to in first post

here was an interesting review of them ....

To call any of Shure’s earphones ‘entry level’ is a bit like describing the Aston Martin V8 Vantage as ‘bottom of the range’. But in comparison to the £360 SE530s, the SE210s are practically budget.

Still, in comparison to the relegation zone buds you get with an iPod, or even to Stuff favourites the Sennheiser CX300s, the 210s have just won the Premiership, FA Cup and taken home the Community Shield on penalties.

https://www.stuff.tv/shure/se210/review

Similarly, Radiohead’s OK Computer sounds as awesome as the first time you heard it. The SE210s pick out detail you never knew existed and really enhance the bits you already loved. It’s a veritable banquet of musical rediscovery.

It’s hard to find fault with the SE210s. Other Shure models can be quite fairly criticised for their price, but if you’re a heavy MP3 user, then for sonic luxury, and performance so brilliant that it’ll transform your listening, £60 really is incredible value.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    There is some crossover/EQ finesse required to get the best out of a 044Ti ... and the foam might be shot (same foam issue with an unmaintained 044).

I wouldn't personally recommend just dropping a 044Ti pair into a system designed for the 044, but one certainly could (watch out for threaded holes vs clear through holes re mounting).
    Thanks for the input, grumpy. I really like the 044 in my L150A's, so it's good to see some reinforcement for keeping them in there. I almost popped on a set of 044ti's some eight months ago. Have I popped mine apart to see about the foam plug? Nope, I don't hear any of the "effects" I've read about though, so until they start to sound funny I'll leave them be. I've had 'em out before though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I will cast another vote for Emotiva as I have some of their gear and it's well made and sounds great. Revel speakers even new offer really impressive performance I really like my Performa F206's The new near fields are well worth it as well especially on sale.

Rob
    Good to hear about Emotiva. Members here recommended throwing more watts at my L150A's instead of biamping, and that is the only company which makes muscly amps without having to spend mega bux to attain them.

Seawolf, nice sig, I caught the Guess Who reference instantly. Is that your bionic leg? What happened?

Is that your bionic leg? What happened?
    Guess you aren't on the OT forum ?

It's the old "TOM & his 38 pound bike vs the 7000+ pound RAM truck" thread.

I wrote on 1-10-2020

kinda banged up
    I've cycled abt 19,000 miles with no incidents ,,,,,, until yesterday.
    Coming home, near 4 pm on Springwater MUP , crossing a commercial driveway and a big pickup runs the STOP sign and broadsides me. He was going abt 5 mph. I ended up on top of the bike in the middle of the road.
    Nice guy, admitted fault. Drove me and the bike to the ER ..Didn't get home till nearly 10pm.
    Huge black hematoma on my left shin, right thigh banged up, ribs very sore. Too painful to sleep last night, but Mum is great in an emergency , as usual. The driver stuck with me at the ER and drove me home.
    Haven't looked at bike yet. No broken bones, only a little blood ..ER not sure if ribs cracked or not. Want to do a CT scan.
    Moving is painful. Lousy way to start 2020.

It appears that I am not. I try to check this forum throughout the week, don't see that thread come up in my feed.

Sorry to hear about your injuries, Tom. My fiancee got ran off the road on her bike by a car last September. Driver didn't stop so we couldn't hold her accountable. Cellphone crap strikes again. But she's had two surgeries on her arm so far and pile of medical debt to show for it. I hope Mr. Niceguy intends on footing your medical bills too and you can continue to ride as you did before.

It appears that I am not. I try to check this forum throughout the week, don't see that thread come up in my feed.

You have to ask for access. it's for those of us who can't stay on topic.

Sorry to hear about your injuries, Tom. My fiancee got ran off the road on her bike by a car last September. Driver didn't stop so we couldn't hold her accountable. Cellphone crap strikes again. But she's had two surgeries on her arm so far and pile of medical debt to show for it. I hope Mr. Niceguy intends on footing your medical bills too and you can continue to ride as you did before.

Bruised ribs, torn MCL, big hematoma on other leg.
    his insurance has been good so far, paid off bike and clothes.

x

Thread Information