Thread: The Uncertainty Principle

The Uncertainty Principle

Have you ever suspected that the component you bought after diligent research is somehow not "typical"? That its sound seems to bear little resemblance to the descriptions in the reviews you read? Sure, you listened to the unit before purchase, but the one you took out of the box at home—was that the same unit? And if you suspect your new unit's sonic quality is below par, just how do you or your dealer go about proving it?

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...inty-principle
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Looks uncertain whether or not folks here want to dive in this... uncertainty.

You seem pretty lonely here, even though its certainly an interesting perception matter to me. Could well be because uncertainty human kind doesn't like, same for financial markets btw.

Scrolled down the article quickly, not certain but it seems to revolve around tolerances?

In my view, too many things involved regarding different sound perceived: the gear setup, room acoustics, speakers used, etc. that may also explain the discrepancies in sound, assuming the unit is not a defective one. From showroom to living room can be a sizeable step.

Last, but not the least, the ears involved, like with my Senneiser HD 559 phones where Web comments were pretty good, but I wondered after testing where these folks got their ears from since the problem was so evident...

Finally, that brings to mind a more certain question:

Could the CERTAINTY principle be that with such gas mask you're signalling being ready for the Corona virus outbreak, and possibly even more? Certainly looks like it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Could the CERTAINTY principle be that with such gas mask you're signalling being ready for the Corona virus outbreak, and possibly even more? Certainly looks like it. lol
    hard to see, but I'm wearing the Panasonic FM radio headphones (with antennas on each side) that I hauled back from R&R in Tokyo, Xmas '69.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yup hard to see. Need some imagination to confirm that one.

They sure look out of the ordinary, and seen that way its a nice gizmo. Wonder what Oregon posers would say if they saw you walking among them with these things on the head? Jealous, run away or would call decontamination unit?

No wonder you hauled back these monster size phones. Panasonic Mars division stuff for sure. Your '69 Xmas gift I guess.

And the weight of these 1.5 ton, with head sqeezed big time? Guess you wouldn't hear a train passing in your backyard?

"sheltering in place" reduces the risk of anything happening to you, more so with gas mask & phones on. No martian would dare take you away, you'd scare the hell out of them... or maybe make new friends!

"IF it ain't broke, fix it , 'till it is ..." Pretty good one, my laugh of the day! Keep the fun coming.

They sure look out of the ordinary, and seen that way its a nice gizmo. Wonder what Oregon posers would say if they saw you walking among them with these things on the head? Jealous, run away or would call decontamination unit?

No wonder you hauled back these monster size phones. Panasonic Mars division stuff for sure. Your '69 Xmas gift I guess.

"sheltering in place" reduces the risk of anything happening to you, more so with gas mask & phones on. No martian would dare take you away, you'd scare the hell out of them... or maybe make new friends!
    1. Portland is so weird now, that nobody would notice.

2. Yep, Xmas gift to myself,,, but heavy and ate batteries , so sold them quickly.

3. "In place" is NOT about CV , been in the house 7 weeks after the accident.

RE "been in the house 7 weeks after the accident."

Didn't know you had an accident, sorry.

I thought "sheltering in place" meant you were held captive by asian wife who had enough of you (and herself) chasing gear left and right, therefore chained you to wood stove, after your previous journey in cooking pot from which you had not learned... Was afraid I might have to pay ransom to help you out...

Dumb me then.

Btw wife was a Registered Nurse for 30 years, have my own private Nurse!, so she fixes me up when my parts don't go too well... lol

Hopefully you'll get better soon. You make the fun around here, gear wise, pictures wise, etc...

Best regards to both of you.

RE "been in the house 7 weeks after the accident."

Didn't know you had an accident, sorry..
    on 10 Jan, TOM wrote >>

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I've cycled abt 19,000 miles with no incidents ,,,,,, until yesterday.
    Coming home, near 4 pm on Springwater MUP , crossing a commercial driveway and a big pickup runs the STOP sign and broadsides me. He was going abt 3 mph. I ended up on top of the bike in the middle of the road.
    Nice guy, admitted fault. Drove me and the bike to the ER ..Didn't get home till nearly 10pm.
    Huge black hematoma on my left shin, right thigh banged up, ribs very sore. Too painful to sleep last night, but Mum is great in an emergency , as usual. The driver stuck with me at the ER and drove me home.
    Haven't looked at bike yet. No broken bones, only a little blood ..ER not sure if ribs cracked or not. Want to do a CT scan.
    Moving is painful. Lousy way to start 2020.
    ��
    I thought "sheltering in place" meant you were held captive by asian wife who had enough of you (and herself) chasing gear left and right, therefore chained you to wood stove, after your previous journey in cooking pot from which you had not learned...
    Was afraid I might have to pay ransom to help you out...
    BOLD above is true, but a different story.

no, it's just standard Stockholm Syndrome

... because you're the only fun around here, gear wise, pictures wise, etc...
    that's the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum

IF you aren't on the OT Forum, then you may have missed even my best posts.

How to Join Off Topic Forum
    If you want to join the "Off Topic" forum, simply click on the "Report Post" button to the bottom left of this message with the following icon . Fill out the report with a request to join the forum and it will be sent to a moderator to respond

Though I may be missing some of the Sea's best shots (or fishs!), I don't really have time for more Forum(s). This one here keeps me busy and "entertained" well enough.

While I'm hobbled, thinking of getting an assistant to help organize my record collection

I see you've updated Avatar pic showing clearly the whole kit, nice. There's no way Corona virus, almost at your door in Seattle!, can get a hold on you "dressed" like that... Even me would be scared of you. Like the fact you're never short of ideas or fun...

Wish I had a bigger record collection so I could justify to wife the hiring of lady on the pic, sniff

Thinking about it some more my records are certainly not in correct alphabetical order anymore, like they used to be. Getting older, lazy or clumsy? Maybe I do need such help afterall...lol

Thread Information