Thread: HB5000 Sub amp OK for US use?

HB5000 Sub amp OK for US use?

My Media room build is on pause while I wait for acoustic panels to be built, so I thought I’d scab together a quick system and watch a few movies. I’ve had a Japanese market HB5000 sub for a few years, but have never used it active - I’ve always pulled the amp and powered the woofer passive. I would like to use it active, but am not sure how to tell if it is OK to use here. I cannot find any owner’s manual online, so I’m stuck with very little info. The amplifier is class D, which makes me think it should be OK. Back panel is labeled 50 or 60hz, 100v. Any one want to give an opinion?Name:  8D6F5E83-99A5-4E39-ADEE-55CD32CA5E3A.jpg
Views: 2090
Size:  82.4 KB
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Unless it has a universal switching supply (AC to DC) on the other side of that IEC type connector, I'd hesitate to give it the thumbs up. Safer would be a big transformer to drop the voltage (and limit the current loss). The example below would probably be pushing it on the low end of quality/capacity (not particularly recommended, but just to show the idea)/

https://www.amazon.com/NISSYO-indust...MWNTM0PSXN28DA

Might work for awhile, but could stress the components. Of course if JBL gives you the thumbs up...

Thanks for the tip - I didn’t realize just how cheap a step down transformer would be - I ordered a 3000w one that weighs 30lbs for $125 including shipping. If I ever sell the sub, the transformer goes with it
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Thread Information