Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New To Me JBL 4350 Clones Almost.

[QUOTE=Mr. Widget;427764]A few random thoughts on your project:

1. The LE15B woofers are 4 ohms each, so make sure your amp can handle a 2 ohm load. I am not sure either of your Macs will be happy with that load. I would seriously consider a solid-state amp for the woofers.

Since the LE15b is nominal 4 ohm it might be a plan to wire them in series giving nominal 8 ohm
    Given that Billy is gong to run active relative level adjustment is easily implemented.

In that same subject Billy with the DBX you may find that the output is a little 'hot' for the input to the Mac power amps. You will probably need to provide some attenuation or your gain structure wiill be all out of whack.
    More on this later once you get it all plugged up and running.
    I'm assuming that the DBX is switchable to 2 way operation ??

Good idea on putting the subs in series. There seems to be some debate on whether series vs. parallel has the same sound quality, but that's easy enough to try. If these things sound promising with the equipment I have on hand, I will find a solid state amp to drive the low end. I love the sound of my MC30's when they drive my Altec 19's and I hope they will work on the HF half at least for now.

Thanks for the link to JBL info. Found something in the 1970 catalog.

Now that the weekend is here, I've dove into this a bit. I've found that I've got LE15B's in one cabinet and 2215A's in the other. I've also got one extra each of both the LE15B and 2215A.

So, if I were to purchase one driver so that all four would match, which one do I buy? I'm leaning toward the 2215A so that I could connect them in parallel and have a 4 ohm load. That would give me more amplifier options.

Or I could use them as is and wait for some 2231H's to show up somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Also, currently installed in the 4350's are 075 bullet tweeters. I've got a pair of 077's that would seem to be a pretty close match to the 2405H's that were originially used in the 4350's. Should I swap those out? It looks easy.

Quote Originally Posted by lakebilly View Post
    Also, currently installed in the 4350's are 075 bullet tweeters. I've got a pair of 077's that would seem to be a pretty close match to the 2405H's that were originially used in the 4350's. Should I swap those out? It looks easy.
    Yup. 077's are prettier than 2405 what with the 'crystal' phase plug. Thats a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by lakebilly View Post
    Mechanically they are an exact match for the 075s and electrically they are an exact match for the 2405s which are the tweeters that your crossovers were actually designed for anyway. So yes, I absolutely would change those out.

Don't get hung up on the impedance. There are many threads on the topic, but rest assured, the 077 tweeter is identical to the 2405.

Widget

Thank you gentlemen. The 075's will go.

I'm seeing several 2231A's out on eBay. Would it be worth my troubles to pick them up and pawn off the LE15B's and the 2215A's that don't really belong in there? At that point, I would have all the correct components for a pair of 4350's.

I could then start working on porting and aesthetics such as the blue baffle paint.

Here's some Bobby Basic plots from Win ISD showing 2231a purple 2215 green and just for grins 2226. red
    Hope that gives you a better perspective.
    I suspect that you will get good prices for the ' vintage' LE15's

Name:  plots.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  106.2 KB

So , looks like you have a plan , 2231 will play lower and the DBX will adjust any level changes that are called for.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Here's some Bobby Basic plots from Win ISD showing 2231a purple 2215 green and just for grins 2226. red
    Hope that gives you a better perspective.
    I suspect that you will get good prices for the ' vintage' LE15's

Name:  plots.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  106.2 KB

So , looks like you have a plan , 2231 will play lower and the DBX will adjust any level changes that are called for.

Thank you so much for doing that. It looks like I have my marching orders. Better performance and hopefully and improved $$ value overall. Yes, the plan is coming together. I want to make these as authentic as possible and enjoy the whole process.

Any ideas on where I might find four decent 2231a's besides eBay? Would anybody on this forum have a stash of these?

Just about everyone here has a stash

Try Hi Fi Shark : https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=JBL+2231a

There's a pair in Canada.

BTW Win ISD is a free download . It has a large database of driver T/S parameters that then allows you to simulate various box sizes , ports etc .
    Pretty easy to use although you do need to learn the moves. Worth playing about with a very simple example.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Just about everyone here has a stash

Try Hi Fi Shark : https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=JBL+2231a

There's a pair in Canada.

BTW Win ISD is a free download . It has a large database of driver T/S parameters that then allows you to simulate various box sizes , ports etc .
    Pretty easy to use although you do need to learn the moves. Worth playing about with a very simple example.

Thanks again. I will download ISD. Looks like fun!

As I continue to think about this, I'm wondering if the 2235H wouldn't be a better choice? The porting on my enclosures is very close to the 4355's which featured the 2235H's. It looks as though the 2235H might be more available actually.

Any thoughts on that?

Win ISD 2231A v 2235H

Name:  2231A v 2235A.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  100.7 KB

How hard are you going to push them?? 2235 more x-max better power handling.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    How hard are you going to push them?? 2235 more x-max better power handling.

Rob
    I don't see pushing these real hard. I would guess that I will end up with a 2-250 WPC amp driving these. And at that, I'm not much of a rocker so they won't get much of a workout. This would mostly be in the interest of making these clones as authentic as possible.

Thread Information