Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New To Me JBL 4350 Clones Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by lakebilly View Post
    As I continue to think about this, I'm wondering if the 2235H wouldn't be a better choice? The porting on my enclosures is very close to the 4355's which featured the 2235H's. It looks as though the 2235H might be more available actually.

Any thoughts on that?
    I agree with this. Fat chance, basically, of finding four clean 2231's. Also, I tried 2235H's in my 4333a's in place of the 2231's. Although I went back to the 2231's because I didn't think the 2235's worked well with the built-in 800Hz midrange high-pass, the bass of the 2235's was better. In your 4350 clone there is the additional midbass driver and there is no built-in mid-bass high pass to be concerned with. To me 2235H's (2225/2235 frames with new kits) would no doubt be the better option.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

These days finding a 2231H, 2335H (or a 2231A) with the original cone is unlikely due to the fact that the original cone put in the basket by the factory would have been replaced with a Jbl recone after 10 years as a BAU service requirement. That means it will be a 2235 cone kit.

I have serviced my 2231A at least twice by the Jbl importer. Same with my 2231H drivers.

Any used drivers are most likely to have jbl 2235 kits in them or after market kits. The 2235 kits have improved power handling and a progressive spider to minimise DC offset according to Jbl engineers.

If your using this for domestic purposes don’t worry about it. It would be nice to have matched baskets but what’s more important is the condition of the cone kit and all it’s moving parts. A good technician will do a full visual inspection of the cone assembly and how it sits in the basket, then repair or replace anything required. You don’t know how the drivers were treated over the life of the cone kit. For example you don’t know if mass rings were slapping the top plate. It’s worth getting than done at the outset.

In the 4350/4355 4 way systems the drivers are only operating up to 250 hertz with an 18 dB per octave low pass active crossover. The mid range response is irrelevant.

After an hour long phone conversation with a fellow LH member, I'm heading down the road of four 2235H's. His advice to me was to buy four 2225h's and recone them into 2235H's. The 2225H's are fairly available and not terribly expensive.

A quick update. I found that if I move the crossover to the opposite side, all of the wires are long enough to reach their respective drivers without extending them. One down, one to go.

Also, I swapped out the 075 bullet tweeters for 077 slot tweeters. It's my understanding that the 077 is nearly identical to the 2405.

I'll post more pictures once I get the 2235H's installed.

I would be buying 4 of these before the supply dries up.

https://reconingspeakers.com/product...35-recone-kit/

these are gen JBL including the mass ring.

I just completed the purchase of four 2225H's on the big E. I should have them late this week.

Does anybody have experience with any authorized JBL repair shops in the general vicinity of Fort Wayne, IN?

Cities within three hours that I can drive to:

South Bend - Mishawaka - Elkhart
    Indianapolis
    Kalamazoo
    Detroit
    Toledo
    Cleveland
    Chicago

Billy watch this vid. It's not that difficult a process if you take your time and keep it neat and tidy. The hardest thing to get dead right is the glue line on the dust cap .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6CCrLz-Zts

If you get the recone kits I linked to a few posts ago , they are pre assembled so it's a much less complicated process than in the vid above.

M

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Billy watch this vid. It's not that difficult a process if you take your time and keep it neat and tidy. The hardest thing to get dead right is the glue line on the dust cap .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6CCrLz-Zts

If you get the recone kits I linked to a few posts ago , they are pre assembled so it's a much less complicated process than in the vid above.

M
    Between my bathtub caulking skills and my soldering ability I could get through a recone. It actually looks pretty easy.

And, I'm all about saving some dollar$.

Now, I just need to find some authentic JBL C8R2235H cone kits.

I would be buying 4 of these before the supply dries up.

https://reconingspeakers.com/product...35-recone-kit/

these are gen JBL including the mass ring.

I'll call the speaker exchange and see what they'll do for me. Thanks!

Just a quick update. I discovered the "Speaker Workshop" right here in Fort Wayne, website - WWW.RECONE.COM. They are an authorized JBL speaker repair center. They will recone my 2225H's into 2235H's for less than what I can buy C8R2235H cone kits for. Between buying the 2225H baskets and the recone, I'll have about $275.00 in each driver. I'm hoping to recover around 50% of that by selling the LE15's and the 2215's.

Tom is the owner of the place and knows his stuff. No hesitation whatsoever when I told him what I wanted to do. As he stated off the cuff, "2225 to 2235? Oh Yeah, No Problem"

I'll keep you posted.

Well well , thats a result. I would ask to have a look at a recone job that they have done just to check it's all neat and tidy , no glue splurges etc. Probably wont be , they have been on the go for a good few years.
    Other thing is to check if you can that the recones are actually C8R2235. ie the genuine article. Again , i'm sure they will be , but you know ......

Other thing is to check if you can that the recones are actually C8R2235. ie the genuine article. Again , i'm sure they will be , but you know ......
    Yeah, this can't be emphasized strongly enough. Make absolutely certain you know exactly what kits he's installing for less than the cost of a JBL re-cone kit.

Discount cone kit no labor charge.

Red flags for me, too.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Yeah, this can't be emphasized strongly enough. Make absolutely certain you know exactly what kits he's installing for less than the cost of a JBL re-cone kit.
    I will check this out closely. It's got to be a genuine JBL cone.

Should be in a box like this

Name:  c8r2235.JPG
Views: 436
Size:  31.7 KB

Thread Information