Thread: Asymmetrical horns, DD55000, S/2600, S/3100

Asymmetrical horns, DD55000, S/2600, S/3100

It is said that about 500 pairs of the DD55000 were sold worldwide. Looking at these forums, eBay, etc. I would guesstimate that there are single digit numbers in the US.

Does anyone have info on the production numbers of the S/2600 and S/3100 and how many are in the US? I’m not sure if Greg Timbers still visits this site regularly, but I am also curious why the later Everests dropped the asymmetrical horns. Was this due to concerns about audio quality, or had the K2 line been so successful that large symmetric horizontal horns were required for customer preference?

Wasn’t that horn originally developed for a shaded response overhead lectern speaker?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Wasn’t that horn originally developed for a shaded response overhead lectern speaker?
    Yes defined coverage horn, Kelle/JBL have a patent on it 4660 system. The patent is from Don's site.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1984-4660.htm

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

When did the JBL 4660 come out compared to Altec's VIR and VIT horns? The Altec Vari-Intense line still lives on in the Bosch/EV EVI-28, EVI-12 and EVI-15. We still use the EVI-28 in some cinemas for surround speakers (they are good for very wide auditoriums).

For home use, not cinema this is how I have come to understand the different philosophies.

All horns: Opportunity to combine with compression drivers for superior dynamics.

Horizontal horns (Most JBLs)
    Maximize lateral dispersion. The taller the horns, the better the vertical dispersion but the narrow horn of a 4367 won’t be as good as the taller horn of the M2. “Visually appealing to the Japanese market”

HDI horns are bit better than BiRadial horns in keeping the 3-10kHz range from being enhanced off axis.

Vertical horns (Array, Studio 5)
    even though they are still technically symmetric 80 deg x 80 deg horns, the vertical alignment makes it “beamy” enough to minimize room reflection in home environments resulting in better imaging (in the sweet spot which is still large but not as large). Maybe better vertical dispersion.

Asymmetrical horns. (DD55000, S/2600, S/3100)
    Widens the sweet spot by combining wide lateral dispersion with control of SPL balance such that it is quieter the closer you are.

What are the disadvantages? I have read that the high frequencies are out of phase when off center, but that seems true for any design.

Alan

Hello Alan

A good read on the 55000 system if you have not already seen it.

Rob

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...D55000-Everest
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Alan

A good read on the 55000 system if you have not already seen it.

Rob

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...D55000-Everest
    I missed that actually. I have seen the white paper but not all of the handwritten comments. Thanks!

Thread Information