Thread: Speaker Cutout Fill In

Speaker Cutout Fill In

Recently came across a set of speakers, where someone slightly enlarged one of the speaker holes. I was told that this can be filled in with wood filler or sawdust/glue mix. Has anyone tried, or seen a post that has tried to tackle a similar project? I haven been talking with a furniture refinishing friend, however very open to ideasName:  speaker cutout.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  51.4 KB

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueprint12 View Post
    Recently came across a set of speakers, where someone slightly enlarged one of the speaker holes. I was told that this can be filled in with wood filler or sawdust/glue mix. Has anyone tried, or seen a post that has tried to tackle a similar project? I haven been talking with a furniture refinishing friend, however very open to ideas
    be a little more specific as far as how much filling
    that would determine what material to use
    if it's that notch, and or what appears to be extra holes, I would use hardwood dowels for both and only have to do it once even though technically it doesn't sound/appear to be a structural augmentation

if it's the extra hole extending up to the new screw holes cut some strip stock to size and glue in the offending area clamp well let it dry over night and shape the repair with a file may take more than one piece to close the gap as it were

a SHARP brad-point bit and dowels for the holes (if they are all the way through) some shim stock a bar clamp and titebond II

otherwise you'll need to provide a little more info than a yellow circle around a ginormous area

I would try Titebond ll glue with sawdust if I were to try. I like the glue as it has some extra strength and almost a vinyl like filler. I'd be more tempted to cut it out and make whole square pieces to fill it in (Tweeter mount).
    You could also have a larger rear plate for extra re-enforcement from the inside. I personally hate to work with particle board.
    Having a carpentry background, I would just cut a new panel. Now the question is how hard is it to get that whole panel out?

Edit: Hey, Michael and I agree on the glue!

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
    I would try Titebond ll glue with sawdust if I were to try. I like the glue as it has some extra strength and almost a vinyl like filler. I'd be more tempted to cut it out and make whole square pieces to fill it in (Tweeter mount).
    You could also have a larger rear plate for extra re-enforcement from the inside. I personally hate to work with particle board.
    Having a carpentry background, I would just cut a new panel. Now the question is how hard is it to get that whole panel out?

Edit: Hey, Michael and I agree on the glue!
    mighty big prescription not knowing exactly what they want to fill although I'm pretty sure I made the right call
    I wouldn't cut anything out of the baffle
    pretty certain it's that hump someone hacked out of the opening for the mid-tweet
    besides that they're ADS L910s so all the more reason NOT to cut anything else
    it's a sealed box
    sawdust and super glue are fine for a guitar fret board not so much for a speaker baffle on these

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chavez View Post
    mighty big prescription not knowing exactly what they want to fill although I'm pretty sure I made the right call
    I wouldn't cut anything out of the baffle
    pretty certain it's that hump someone hacked out of the opening for the mid-tweet
    besides that they're ADS L910s so all the more reason NOT to cut anything else
    it's a sealed box
    sawdust and super glue are fine for a guitar fret board not so much for a speaker baffle on these
    You're right! I just guessed that he was installing the speakers back in. An easy idea would just be to make a bigger backing plate for the tweeters to cover up the butchered cabinet openings. If the tweeters aren't going back in the holes just cover them up.
    BTW he said he's open to ideas. I didn't know you were going to post while I typed. So I'm out and you're on. Have fun.

Thread Information