Thread: JBL L112 Midrange Recone Question

JBL L112 Midrange Recone Question

I recently replaced both of the LE5-12 mid range drivers on My JBL L112s. I was able to find a used pair on Ebay for $150.
    My question is, is it worth reconing the ones i pulled out? one has holes in cone and one has a burnt voice coil.
    I found a place that sells a genuine Jbl kit for $125 and OEM kit for $42.
    The genuine kit seems over priced. Has anyone had experience with the oem kits? Or A good source for them.
    I would like to keep them as spares or possibly sell them on ebay for the right price.

On a side note while replacing the drivers I checked the cossovers. One had two bad solder joints one at L3 and one at C1. The other crossover was fine.
    Is there any merit to recapping the crossover?

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HankL112 View Post
    I recently replaced both of the LE5-12 mid range drivers on My JBL L112s. I was able to find a used pair on Ebay for $150.
    My question is, is it worth reconing the ones i pulled out? one has holes in cone and one has a burnt voice coil.
    The genuine kit seems over priced. Has anyone had experience with the oem kits? Or A good source for them.
    I would like to keep them as spares or possibly sell them on ebay for the right price.

On a side note while replacing the drivers I checked the cossovers. One had two bad solder joints one at L3 and one at C1. The other crossover was fine.
    OEM = original equipment manufacturer - me personally? I would be skeptical = part may be fine but OEM? how does seller prove that and besides, all a part has to be to "be" presented as an OEM part, legally, is to come from a manufacturer who made anything for JBL, ever, and that could be something as simple as grille pegs or wire terminals

OES = means THE original part supplier, so again I would be skeptical of that too as in why? plus I am sure there's some sort of legal arraignment between anyone making proprietary things for JBL that JBL doesn't make in house

yeah, it's a little pricey but they don't service that part number anymore so if you know that it's real, the genuine one, you better get it while the getting is good

as far as the quality of non JBL branded parts it's a mixed bag and sometimes a little difficult to determiner the source

I can recone your LE5-12 with a reproduction kit for $99.00.

I just checked with JBL and the factory kit has been discontinued, and is no longer available.

BTW...OEM=Factory Original Equipment Manufacturer.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

is it worth reconing the ones i pulled out? one has holes in cone and one has a burnt voice coil.

was the one with the burnt voice coil from the cabinet with the two bad solder joints ??

I've had cone holes/rips and repaired from the from & back with refoam glue .. never noticed sound degradation , or even evidence of repair (from 3 feet )... replace ? / recone ? guess it depends on whether you want show speakers or daily drivers.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post

I just checked with JBL and the factory kit has been discontinued, and is no longer available.

Yeah I'm Sorry I mis spoke the actual description was After market Kit.
    Are the After market/Reproduction kits pretty reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    was the one with the burnt voice coil from the cabinet with the two bad solder joints ??

I've had cone holes/rips and repaired from the from & back with refoam glue .. never noticed sound degradation , or even evidence of repair (from 3 feet )... replace ? / recone ? guess it depends on whether you want show speakers or daily drivers.
    The burnt voice coil speaker was from the good crossover. The ripped cone actually had sound after repairing crossover but was slightly distorted.

The burnt voice coil speaker was from the good crossover. The ripped cone actually had sound after repairing crossover but was slightly distorted.
    if you are planning to keep them and want insurance .. I'd go with EW's offer.

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Former Member

you are 100% correct with that definition
    but in order for a manufacturer to be able to make that claim, legally, that manufacturer only has to have made at least ONE PART for the company up for discussion
    and it doesn't have to be an assembly line cone kit supplier - it can be any part

in other words, if a windshield wiper maker supplies Jaguar with wiper blades they can legally print on any other and all of their products having nothing to do with Jaguar that they are, in fact, a Jaguar OEM supplier

that was my point - lots of marketing games played with OEM versus OES in the parts world and not just speakers, ergo my remark that I would be skeptical but not saying it couldn't be genuine

an OES part = original equipment supplier - significant distinction there

here's an example - note in the photo where Volvo's identifying marks have been removed - this is a genuine OES part at 1/3 the price one would pay at the Volvo parts counter - Stribel is in fact an OEM and an OES supplier for many makes:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my skepticism is due to the fact that I can't see this happening, ever, with any JBL cone kits, that's all I was trying to convey

I am glad you joined this conversation because you are the obvious guy this OP needs to talk to anyway

thanks Ken

Michael

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-conor-fynes

Well I decided to purchase the Genuine JBL Kits. I will post an update when i install and test them.

Here is link to web site
    https://reconingspeakers.com/product...ge-recone-kit/

Former Member
    Well I decided to purchase the Genuine JBL Kits. I will post an update when i install and test them.

Here is link to web site
    https://reconingspeakers.com/product...ge-recone-kit/
    speaker exg will not sell those directly to you - I don't think, unless it's just a front at this point to abide by the rules
    maybe they would if you were an authorized JBL person
    they are just letting you know they have them in stock

read the whole page

"–We are an authorized JBL service center. We repair with JBL parts when available. JBL does not allow direct sales of recone kits. These kits are available for repair."

"
    Call or email for repair pricing!"

I'm pretty sure Speaker Exchange sell them to "HankL112"
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Yeah I emailed them before i ordered them. They have shipped them already.
    They seem genuine. Also pre-assembled so i shouldnt have to worry about VC depth.

All complete. turned out nice and sound nice. not as harsh/bright as the ones i received from Ebay.
    Name:  LE5-12 recone 1.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  91.1 KBName:  LE5-12 recone 2.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  92.5 KB

^^^
    I think you're supposed to poke dimples in the dust caps to make them look authentic.

Was easier to do finger damage with the original aluminum dustcaps... which it seems are no longer a feature of the recone kits.

Thread Information