Thread: JBL 3110A issue??

Exclamation JBL 3110A issue??

Recently i bought a pair of JBL 3110a crossovers with close enough serial numbers. Today i try them both with a pair of 2355 horns and gauss drivers , and i realise that one of the crossovers got harder mids and less detail than the other. Is the recap easy on these crossovers? Can i keep the old caps inside and just cut the terminals and add newer fresh better quality ones?? Best regards

Hi retro soulman,

I don't own the 3110A but here are some things that come to mind.

Have you switched drivers on crossovers to confirm the problematic device is really the crossover instead of the driver?

On 3110a pics seen the housing appears to be riveted, small metal screws would have been faster and if you do go ahead you might want to use short screws to close it back, easier to reopen in case needed.

Though only one crossover seems to be a problem I suggest you do both of them to get same sound and peace of mind for the other one in the future.

Depending on how crammed it is inside the crossover housing, if you keep the old Caps in place you might run out of space for the new ones. I guess maybe you won't know for sure before opening it since other owners haven't replied yet.

If there's enough space inside I would do as you say: cut the leads close to the present caps and solder the new caps using the same leads. Good luck. Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Hi retro soulman,

I don't own the 3110A but here are some things that come to mind.

Have you switched drivers on crossovers to confirm the problematic device is really the crossover instead of the driver?

On 3110a pics seen the housing appears to be riveted, small metal screws would have been faster and if you do go ahead you might want to use short screws to close it back, easier to reopen in case needed.

Though only one crossover seems to be a problem I suggest you do both of them to get same sound and peace of mind for the other one in the future.

Depending on how crammed it is inside the crossover housing, if you keep the old Caps in place you might run out of space for the new ones. I guess maybe you won't know for sure before opening it since other owners haven't replied yet.

If there's enough space inside I would do as you say: cut the leads close to the present caps and solder the new caps using the same leads. Good luck. Regards,

Richard

Yeap the issue is totally on the crossovers! I believe because of the smaller nowadays caps will be no problem if i keep the old ones inside! Also its not easy to clean all this glue thing inside ...

Hello Retro Soulman, just seen your thread. Before you go changing everything have you checked the binding posts as these can some time come loose. I would more likely check the 39ohm resistors on the Lpad.
    http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf
    After drilling the rivet heads out make sure you have a low head profile screw or it will not clear the JBL enclosure opening as pan head screws are to high.
    Make sure you measure the size of your old caps as some of the better caps are bigger then the originals. I use .01uf Audiocap's as bypass.
    On the site here about 10 years ago I posted a thread on using a hot plate for melting the glue.

Thread Information