Thread: Alternatives to LE85

Alternatives to LE85

Was wondering if there are opinions as to whether there are modern compression drivers that outperform something like the LE85
    in terms of sound. I know it is subjective, but I read that there are modern polymer diaphragms that sound much smoother and more
    "monitor like" than older aluminum units.

I’m not a polymer fan, I prefer aluminum, magnesium, and beryllium... in that order. If you want to improve on the LE85, may I suggest upping the game to a 4” diaphragm?

These suggestions are based on both objective and subjective experience.

Widget

Substitutina a 375 for an le85 in a center channel for dialogue

I cannot find it now but there was a section that recommended newer large compression drivers that may cost less and outperform an 375 which sells high due to minimal availability not necessarily performance. I have a home theater center channel that I built a speaker for. It uses a slot radiator like the 077 and an le85 compression driver and horn lens and a 2206 for bass in a 2 1/2 cubic ft sealed center cabinet. Might the 375 or a newer version do better with dialogue and impact than my LE 85? or am I just throwing away my money?

Just before the world turned upside down I was testing the B&C 14CXN88 coax with an eye toward replacing my JBL stage monitors with them. That project got short circuited by the pandemic but I was impressed enough with the sound of the drivers that I bought another B&C, sold my 1970s Altec 604s and am looking to have some boxes made for the B&Cs ( as soon as I figure out how to create a CNC router cut list ) as hifi / utility speakers. I'd look at the B&C 1.5" throat drivers for the application you've described. Mighty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post
    I cannot find it now but there was a section that recommended newer large compression drivers that may cost less and outperform an 375 ...

Substitutina a 375 for an le85 in a center channel for dialogue

I cannot find it now but there was a section that recommended newer large compression drivers that may cost less and outperform an 375 which sells high due to minimal availability not necessarily performance. I have a home theater center channel that I built a speaker for. It uses a slot radiator like the 077 and an le85 compression driver with HL91 horn& lens and a 12 inch 2206 for bass in a 2 1/2 cubic ft sealed center cabinet. Might the 375 or a newer version do better with dialogue and impact than my LE 85? or am I just throwing away my money?

Maybe look into some 2431H drivers

Thread Information