Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
You're the same guy I referenced in a similar thread about biamping
Indeed, I think about 5 or 600 watts would do it, but I need a recommendation of which amp or amp preamp combo would give me the warm, sweet sound I like from my Marantz 510M & 3600 preamp combo. I don't really want to move away from that as I built it to channel my father. And as for replacing the 150A's, that's a possibility, although they'd go downstairs. I've got close to $3k in them, so selling them would hurt my butt just wayyy too much at this point and I do like the sound quite a bit. There are plenty of L7's for sale though. I was looking to maybe purchase a set of XPL-200A's in the distant future to replace the L150A's...
If your Marantz 510M is operating properly, when those peak lamps flicker, you are hitting peaks well over 300 watts. Any more power would likely result in virtually inaudible SPL increase, likely additional power compression, and eventual speaker damage.

I would suggest you have likely hit the zenith for these speakers, and to move beyond your current performance plateau will require looking at alternative loudspeakers. You can certainly tweak the sound of your L150s by swapping caps, tweaking the networks, etc. While this may be fun and somewhat satisfying, you won’t appreciably “improve” them.

If you have the space for another system, I’d look in that direction.

FWIW: I used to own the 3800 and 510 without meters. They eventually went into a triamped system. That speaker system was a ground up DIY system and was loads of fun, and it was really a fundamental cornerstone of my speaker design learning process. FWIW: I worked on that system in the early 1980s.

Widget