Hello everyone!

Now that I've finally got my L150A's back on the road again I think the next project to get the most from them is modifying them for bi amp use. Here's what I intend to drive them with, either a pair of Marantz 250M's or 510M's. I've already got one 510M so I figure another 510M is the easiest route to go. However, there's a member here who is running 4345's using two older Crown amps (forget the model #) and I might go that route depending on what the budget allows.

I'm new to pretty much everything. But from the research I've done so far, it looks like I can go two ways with the project:
1) Bypass the internal crossovers completely and use something like an Ashly XR2001 or a pair of XR1001's.
2) Modify the existing crossovers for bi amp use.

#1 seems pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure how to set the crossovers up and would want advice there. Seems like 1 channel could cover the woofers but then I'd need two use two for the mids, 1 as a high pass and one as a low pass so that the midrange only plays 1100-3700hz and then just one high pass for the tweeters which handle everything above 3700hz. Is that the gist of it? What am I missing?

#2 seems straight forward as well but with more work needed. First, I'd need someone kind enough to outline how the crossover network needs to be modified in order to isolate the 128H from the LE5-12 and 044 tweeter. Then I'd like to know which wires you fine folks would recommend to rewire it all as well as capacitors and binding posts. I'd also like to bypass the level pots for the mids & tweeters as well and would need wiring advice there. I'm kind of leaning towards this route but I don't see any spare L150A crossover networks available and while I realize the L112 is the same from a component standpoint, there are differences between the two, the main one being that the binding posts and the XO board arent fastened together. So I'm not sure if a board from an L112 will fit the plastic nibs on the inside of my L150A's. However, there are currently a pair of L112 XO's for sale on the 'bay.

Semi related question:
The pots for the midrange and tweeter.. They have a zero position and then positive and negative positions... My question is, aren't those things just variable resistors? If that is kind of how they operate, wouldn't "+3" (max position for them) be the same as zero resistance? On that note and if correct, isn't "0" actually some form of resistance the engineers incorporated into the system so that the frequency response at those positions is close to flat as possible like shown in the sales literature? Reason I'm asking is because I use an Audio Control C101 equalizer, and I've realized that the less unneeded signal I throw at my amplifier, the more headspace it has for signal I do want. So, I'm looking to use the C101 to attenuate the levels of the tweeters & mids rather than the pots by simply adjusting the pots to +3 and then pulling back on frequencies 1100hz-20khz with the C101. Hopefully this makes sense and someone could shed insight on this, I'd love clarification. Feel free to bash me as necessary haha.

Thank you for your input!