View Poll Results: What is your current age ???

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20-30

1 1.61%
  • 31-40

5 8.06%
  • 41-50

8 12.90%
  • 51-60

19 30.65%
  • 61-70

24 38.71%
  • 71-80

5 8.06%
  • older than dirt

0 0%
  • can't even remember

0 0%
  • what is age ??

0 0%
  • sorry, didn't hear you.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your current age ???

On Friday, I'll be 60.

mid-40s. I feel young here!

Going on 63 and can't tell much of a difference in the last 10 years. I just look like an old man!
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Look 40, feel 90, party like 20.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Look 40, feel 90, party like 20.

That last number no doubt is having its effects on the second.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    mid-40s. I feel young here!
    I was in my early 40's when I first joined... look what's happened to me.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I was in my early 40's when I first joined... look what's happened to me.

Widget
    older and wiser?

Had a conversation with my older son recently about the stages of life, which can be seen in decades, but for that talk I used the more traditional 7 yr interval for life-changing transitions because he is at one of them. I believe it is in one of the OT prophets where you will find, if you look, words to this effect: "Raise a child up to the age of seven in the way that he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it." In medieval Europe, and still many places today, the beginning of apprenticeship, or child labor. A psychologist once told us that at age 14 the child's value system is set, and the only thing further you can teach them along those lines is how to be a good roommate. Mark Twain, as I recall, said that when he was 18 he was sure his father was an idiot; when he was twenty-one he was amazed at how much the old man had learned in such a short time; the end, or nearly, of the student years. At 28, one is likely well set on a path and has become a householder, and at 35 one begins decisive assessments about where the career is going. At 42 it's either feeling satisfactory or you're saying, "Oh, shit! Serious course correction required." At 49 you are screaming into the night, "Dammit this better be a jubilee year!" Fifty-six has deniability; 63 lacks it. Seventy hurts, real bad, if you haven't prepared yourself for it. Seventy-seven, "Hey, look at this!. No, really, doesn't anybody want this wisdom?" Eighty-four and onward, "Thank you, Lord, amen and forever."

This post should tell you what stage I'm at--something to say.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

I've aged about 10 years in the last 6 weeks.

Hope to reverse that , about 6 weeks from now
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I am 64.5, still ride and sell guess what brand motorcycles, have a hot rodded Miata for the daily driver [year round here in SW Ohio with Blizzaks], member here since about the beginning. Hows this for a spin off thread-what do our kids listen to?

Just thought I'd add reply to my somewhat tardy vote with a general "thank you" to the old heads around here. Most Late Millennials/Gen-Z (I was born in 1995) aren't browsing phpBB forums like this anymore, but after an accidental discovery, I've been lurking for about 2 years or so. It's been a trip digging up the treasure trove of info both on the site and forums. I hunkered down during 2020 -- scrimped and saved -- and purchased a pair of Altec 604Cs last month -- recently refurbished by Great Plains Audio. Years of discussion in the backlog were the lead-up behind that decision. I don't hail from a family of audiophiles or have any peers in the hobby, so this site was eminently useful when I decided to start building a proper audio system.

Wanted to add my "20-30" reply to the mix to bring the average a little ways down. Glad to be part of the Lansing club.

Let us know what you think of the 604Cs when you get a chance, no doubt there will be a few enclosure opinions floating about if you haven't got anything nailed down yet. When I was your age, it was all balls to the wall head banging and I'm pretty sure I didn't even know what a 604 was.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Let us know what you think of the 604Cs when you get a chance, no doubt there will be a few enclosure opinions floating about if you haven't got anything nailed down yet. When I was your age, it was all balls to the wall head banging and I'm pretty sure I didn't even know what a 604 was.
    I've got a woodworker near me building 620 cabinets. They're sitting in some DIY home-depot plywood open baffles at the moment, though and I'm loving them.

Jazz has always been my thing so I expect/hope these to be my "endgame". The fellows at GPA were rather bullish about these lasting another 40-50 years with the refurb, so that's all I figure I'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by silvashoots View Post
    Most Late Millennials/Gen-Z (I was born in 1995) aren't browsing phpBB forums like this anymore, but after an accidental discovery...
    FWIW: It was an accidental discovery for me too. About 18-19 years ago.

Welcome to the "old geezer" audiofest.

By the time I was twenty-five I had sold all my JBL horn systems I scrounged together in high school and college and had a tri-amped DIY Dynaudio rig with ribbon tweeters and all manner of silliness.

Dozens and dozens of systems later, I am back to horns and big woofers... the 604E was the current model when I was your age, I am not all that familiar with the 604C, but I imagine a restored pair will sound pretty nice with a bit of extra midrange presence and a rolled off top and bottom.

That sound should favor some Jazz. I would look into crossover options... please start a thread with pics when you have a chance.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    I am 64.5, still ride and sell guess what brand motorcycles, have a hot rodded Miata for the daily driver [year round here in SW Ohio with Blizzaks], member here since about the beginning.
    I turn 68 in one week, hope to take a ride this Sunday, and have six bikes. Guess what brand those are! And I still sell that brand of car, too. My daily driver is a 2013 BMW 128i 6-speed-manual M-sport coupe. Just like my first 2002tii but with 100 extra horsepower!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information