View Poll Results: What is your current age ???

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20-30

1 1.61%
  • 31-40

5 8.06%
  • 41-50

8 12.90%
  • 51-60

19 30.65%
  • 61-70

24 38.71%
  • 71-80

5 8.06%
  • older than dirt

0 0%
  • can't even remember

0 0%
  • what is age ??

0 0%
  • sorry, didn't hear you.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your current age ???

Question What is your current age ???

in conjunction with a suggestion I made in another thread.

what is you age ???
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

OK Boomer.

LOL

I'll be 67 this month. Do I feel like what I thought 67 would feel like back when I was 30? Hell no.
    I drank from a keg at a neighbor's 50th birthday party last night and may choose to take a motorcycle ride since today will be 60º in January! I still go to work 5-days a week. The car I drive to work is 35-years-old. Not much has changed. I just live in a better house and own more JBLs!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

At 66, I feel like 40. No meds. Full mobility and working every day. Run my BMW hard like a kid. No issues with health or much else. Audio is my hobby and it's lost on some younger folks, but the brain trust (that I rely on from time to time) on this site wouldn't be so potent without their years - for which I'm grateful. Aging doesn't have to be what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'll be 67 this month. Do I feel like what I thought 67 would feel like back when I was 30? Hell no.
    I drank from a keg at a neighbor's 50th birthday party last night and may choose to take a motorcycle ride since today will be 60º in January! I still go to work 5-days a week. The car I drive to work is 35-years-old. Not much has changed. I just live in a better house and own more JBLs!
    Hah, my car is also in it's 30's. All of them are. Single camshaft and two valves per cylinder please!

I did pretty good till 68. told a friend that it all falls apart at that age. he laughed. He's now turned 68, and came to remind me of that conversation from 3 years ago.

He said "Damn it Tom, wish you hadn't told me that ... it's really happening"

Hope you are the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Hah, my car is also in it's 30's. All of them are. Single camshaft and two valves per cylinder please!
    My Beamer is a dual cam 32 valve V8 (AFAIR) ... but, I put more miles on my bicycle anymore... but enjoy the flat 4 of the Outback too. Think I'm going to inherit that next year as the wif is not going to pass the vision test next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Hah! The 35-year-old is an inline-six, single cam, two-valves per cylinder 3.4L with 200,000 miles.
    Its 25-year-old garage mate has 30% more miles on it (260,000) but I love the 2.5L inline-six, twin-cam with variable valve timing (VANOS) and hydraulic lifter a lot better than the older six which had the longest lifespan in the BMW lineup of any engine.
    My newest 5-series BMW is only 18-years-old and just turned 80k. It has the 3.0L dual VANOS inline 6-cylinder. I hope it ages as well as the others.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hi Tom,

RE "dual cam 32 valve V8 (AFAIR)"

Isn't that a Northstar Caddy engine? If so, don't worry we won't tell the taxman that you drive a Caddy! Mine not as thirsty, only 4 cyl. 1.4L turbo Ecotec, not really enough to worry about gas prices here at 5 bucks a gallon, nor to have the taxman at my door...

RE "I did pretty good till 68. told a friend that it all falls apart at that age." Oh sh..t, better get going now in a few years I'll be there, my parts will start falling apart in the near future...

RE "inherit that next year as the wif is not going to pass the vision test next time around."
    Really sorry to hear this, sight is probably one of the last things I'd want to lose or see going. Plus not being able to drive the car = loss of ones independence, that's a big issue. Regards,

Richard

P.S. Will post soon in your Turntables Welcome thread, kept a recent newspaper article about media used for music, one of these is extremely surprising: the "return" of tape cassette! Almost fell off the couch...

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Hi Tom,

RE "dual cam 32 valve V8 (AFAIR)"

Isn't that a Northstar Caddy engine? If so, don't worry we won't tell the taxman that you drive a Caddy! Mine not as thirsty, only 4 cyl. 1.4L turbo Ecotec, not really enough to worry about gas prices here at 5 bucks a gallon, nor to have the taxman at my door....
    The BMW M60 is a naturally aspirated V8 petrol engine which was produced from 1992 to 1996. It was BMW's first V8 engine in over 25 years.
    The M60 engine has double overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder.[3] The camshaft is driven by a dual-row timing chain[4] with a self-adjusting tensioner. Valves had hydraulic lash adjustment to reduce maintenance. The ignition and fuel injection systems are controlled by the Bosch Motronic 3.3 system, and the ignition system is a coil-on-plug design with knock sensors.[5][6]

To reduce weight, the engine uses aluminum for both the engine block and cylinder head, magnesium valve covers[7] and a plastic intake manifold

>>RE "inherit that next year as the wif is not going to pass the vision test next time around."
    Really sorry to hear this, sight is probably one of the last things I'd want to lose or see going. Plus not being able to drive the car = loss of ones independence, that's a big issue. Regards,Richard<<<

We have a new Subaru Outback that we both really enjoy. it's hers and I drive the old pickup. She is 70 also and has cataracts. We all know she won't pass a vision test in 9/2021 (when her license expires) ... Her friends have scared her out of eye surgery. We have been together almost 50 years and I will do whatever needed to maintain her safety & happiness.

Hi Tom,

RE "The M60 engine has double overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder."

Not that rare btw, had the same thing on my 2001 Infiniti G20T (manual), SR20DE engine:

"The Specs
    Type: Water cooled, 4 cycle in-line 4 cylinder
    Combustion Chamber: Cross flow, pentroof type
    Valve mechanism: DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, chain drive
    Displacement: 1,998 cc (2.0 L), etc." Tuning guys here like this engine...

Purchased car new, kept it 15 years, 58,000 KM only, no accidents no rust, got tired of manual shift in traffic with age, traded in.

RE Subaru Outback. Vermont, the "Green Mountain State", has these all over the place, seems that most have one. Though I wonder if "green" mountain customers there are all that green, otherwise they'd drive electric or hybrid maybe?

RE "Her friends have scared her out of eye surgery." For cataracts??? With all due respect this sounds crazy, Ophthalmologists here do cataracts surgery by the thousands every year, one eye at a time, members of the family had it done successfully, never heard of complications. My Ophthalmologist does it regularly, she says I'll need to have it done one day (years ahead) and I'll go.

Don't let her possibly lose sight, and decrease both of your quality of life this would imply, for what is usually a routine procedure. Seeing is just too important to be able to enjoy life fully, isn't it?

Not sure if friends are always acting like friends with their recommendations, suggestions or pressures. Regards,

Richard

Hah! The 35-year-old is an inline-six, single cam, two-valves per cylinder 3.4L with 200,000 miles.
    Its 25-year-old garage mate has 30% more miles on it (260,000) but I love the 2.5L inline-six, twin-cam with variable valve timing (VANOS) and hydraulic lifter a lot better than the older six which had the longest lifespan in the BMW lineup of any engine.
    My newest 5-series BMW is only 18-years-old and just turned 80k. It has the 3.0L dual VANOS inline 6-cylinder. I hope it ages as well as the others.
    I love straight six engines. The Ford 300ci is my favorite. They Chrysler 225ci leaning tower of power is my 2nd favorite, if only there was some sort of factory EFI for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    ....We all know she won't pass a vision test in 9/2021 (when her license expires) ... Her friends have scared her out of eye surgery. We have been together almost 50 years and I will do whatever needed to maintain her safety & happiness.
    Oh man I hope she reconsiders.

My mom just had her lenses replaced at 72. Having crystal clear vision again changed her life in ways we never imagined. She’s always been happy and active but now she seems 50 again.

My best wishes.
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    RE Subaru Outback. Vermont, the "Green Mountain State", has these all over the place, seems that most have one. Though I wonder if "green" mountain customers there are all that green, otherwise they'd drive electric or hybrid maybe?
    Richard
    electric or hybrid are in a different price level entirely ...I read that the Outback is a top seller in Oregon,Washington and Colorado. My son drove his from Chicago to visit us, their kids counted 60+ on the road in Portland their first weekend here.
    We are coming up on 2 yrs. and have not had a single problem , not even squeaks.

Cannot say that about any auto that I've ever owned.

My MG had a brand new problem daily.

Our Ford Ranger has a German 4.0L V-6 , which has been fine, but the rest of the truck leaves something to be desired.

HER EYES: I will not force her to do a surgery, can only present my case. she likes driving and loves the Outback ... hoping that at some point she reconsiders.

...HER EYES: I will not force her to do a surgery, can only present my case. she likes driving and loves the Outback ... hoping that at some point she reconsiders.
    Easy trigger! Who said anything about force.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Easy trigger! Who said anything about force.
    HER EYES: I will not force her to do a surgery, can only present my case......
    force ? I did. see above post.

you are pretty quick on the cutesy names. Maybe review before posting ?

Thread Information