Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sad to say but this group forum is dead

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I wish Miss Orchid was still around.......LOL
    I was trying to remember his other alter-ego a couple of days ago. She was certainly the gentlest of his personas.
    Out.

Same here. Lancer was one of them.

The best times were when they were alternating responses in a thread...Lol.

I think Rob has a soft spot for her too.

Same here. Lancer was one of them.

The best times were when they were alternating responses in a thread...Lol.

I think Rob has a soft spot for her too.
    Lancer - wasn't that the G-man of whom you speak?
    Someone asked me the other day if he had died.
    I didn't think so - but I thought he left after Harman forced Greg Timbers into retirement ...
    Something about enjoying time with the grandkiddoes more than the ongoing fights here ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Correct.

He has a young family.

Former Member

far from dead

and definitely the most relevant source for all things JBL I have yet to find

but still things have slowed considerably here, readily witnessed just from a good reading session

in my opinion that is because of the ever dwindling supply of the raw materials requisite to fueling the hobby, all levels of the hobby, from the guy who just needs to know how to freshen up the cabinets to the massive clean sheet of paper custom build, all of which can be found here

and THAT is affordable JBLs sourced from yard sales to pawn sops and all points in between

the good stuff, the stuff that had a replacement cone or diaphram part number associated with it and more time than not a professional counterpart

nowadays not so much anymore, affordable that is, thanks to the easy access to a huge market for on line selling

what made it easy and fun is now making it a bit more difficult for the new to the game folks like me

hobbyists and newcomers

the same thing that made this great resource possible

the greatest double-edged sword of all times - the internet

and then, there's everything else

Michael

You have a good view and perspective as relatively new member.

In the beginning it was a funnel for gathering information on legacy jbl systems, and components.
    There were only a few dozen members.

The interest was on who had what and discoveries of how things worked. Product perspectives were written and the Library was developed and kept developing.

Interest in systems broadened and people like myself started to embrace the more complicated and lesser known systems like the 4343-4344-4345. They gained popularity along with other systems like the L250, the XPL series, the S9500 and others. During this period Jbl still supported recones for numerous drivers.

LHS member Giskard then started providing back door availability of replacement drivers currently in production. So forum members were spoilt. This continued for a time with SOA Jbl drivers in a quest to clone JBLs SOA systems. Not everyone jumped in to go this way but some people made this their de facto standard. The bubble burst when Jbl restructured and divested into car and lifestyle products and they ceased supply of a number of replacement recones, legacy drivers and soa drivers.

This isn’t a detailed account of the past decade.

Giskard then called it a day and around the same time the LHS most loved Jbl legend Greg Timbers was unceremoniously told he no longer had job at Jbl. For some long standing members particularly those who had bought the SOA Jbl drivers it was a turning point. I don’t subscribe to these members moving on as such. There’s just nothing to spark their motivation to publicly post at the moment. But that could change. I also don’t subscribe to the notion that you need new factory stock drivers to be part of the hobby or new soa drivers to be the best of the best. There is a growing movement among Jbl die hard fans to return to the legacy systems now Jbl has pretty much stopped making soa consumer drivers.

Like a car collector or restoration fanatic this hobby requires patience and perseverance. Networking and knowledge also play a big part.

Put it this way l have auditioned a bi amped 4331 with original legacy components along side a DD67000 and the 4331 was surprising good sonically driven by premium audiophile equipment. The legacy systems and drivers are still very much revered. So l don’t see interest in Jbl legacy systems fading with those truly interested in the JBL experience. They will look harder and be more resourceful but the prize is still very much out there. You just need to hang out with the right people and want to be in it.

Former Member
    Michael

You have a good view and perspective as relatively new member.

In the beginning it was a funnel for gathering information on legacy jbl systems, and components.
    There were only a few dozen members.

The interest was on who had what and discoveries of how things worked. Product perspectives were written and the Library was developed and kept developing.

Interest in systems broadened and people like myself started to embrace the more complicated and lesser known systems like the 4343-4344-4345. They gained popularity along with other systems like the L250, the XPL series, the S9500 and others. During this period Jbl still supported recones for numerous drivers.

LHS member Giskard then started providing back door availability of replacement drivers currently in production. So forum members were spoilt. This continued for a time with SOA Jbl drivers in a quest to clone JBLs SOA systems. Not everyone jumped into go this but some people made this their de facto standard. The bubble burst when Jbl restructured and divested into car and lifestyle products and they ceased supply of a number of replacement recones, legacy drivers and soa drivers.

This isn’t a detailed account of the past decade.

Giskard then called it a day and around the same time the LHS most loved Jbl legend Greg Timbers was unceremoniously told he no longer had job at Jbl. For some long standing members particularly those who had bought the SOA Jbl drivers it was a turning point. I don’t subscribe to these members moving on as such. There’s just nothing to spark their motivation to publicly post at the moment. But that could change. I also don’t subscribe to the notion that you need new factory stock drivers to be part of the hobby or new soa drivers to be the best of the best. There is a growing movement among Jbl die hard fans to return to the legacy systems now Jbl has pretty much stopped making soa consumer drivers.

Like a car collector or restoration fanatic this hobby requires patience and perseverance. Networking and knowledge also play a big part.

Put it this way l have auditioned a bi amped 4331 with original legacy components along side a DD67000 and the 4331 was surprising good sonically driven by premium audiophile equipment. The legacy systems and drivers are still very much revered. So l don’t see interest in Jbl legacy systems fading with those truly interested in the JBL experience. They will look harder and be more resourceful but the prize is still very much out there. You just need to hang out with the right people and want to be in it.
    thank you for the wonderful post
    best regards
    Michael

Forgot what I was gonna say

Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    well they sell those things in Best Buy and in quantities and with high margins. So they have to make them bling and update regularly with new models. That's how they are marketed and yes, it says nothing about sound quality. I have heard $2k pair of B&W bookshelves and it was probably $200 of parts if at all, but it looks like $2k

But that's the problem. JBL also made it into Best Buy, but the monstrosity they came up is much worse, much much worse.
    I don't know what they currently offer, but I doubt it's even attractive to those of us accustomed to JBL vintage let alone those that have larger budgets than I for the new high end gear.

Years ago, I bought some JBL Best Buy Speakers. S38II bookshelf. They were really not bad at all. Loud as hell but a little fatiguing. That line had some decent HT speakers in it, as I recall the floorstanding S312 was liked more than the larger S412 by some members here that reviewed them?

I don't know if they were sold in BB, but the floorstanding L series (L7/L5/L3/L1) are well thought of while not being vintage. I have a pair of L7 and L5 here that normally see occasional use. The L5's are currently standing in for my 250Ti's that need a refoam (both LE14H-1 and 044Ti).

my reason for being absent...

2 friends with stage 4 lung cancer, another with double lung transplant. don't leave much time for audio. im just getting back into audio again.

im in my 60's and my friends are dwindling away.

I hope to continue my 1501Fe, 2206 and 2447/2332 horn 3 way project I envisioned years ago b4 life slowed everything down.

regards, Ron

missing my audio...
    JBL Pro for home use!

Ron,

Sorry to hear about your friends, they are blessed to have a friend like you. Also its good to hear from you, I’ve recently read some of your posts in some of the 2242/2245 threads.

thanks,
    Scott

thanks Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Ron,

Sorry to hear about your friends, they are blessed to have a friend like you. Also its good to hear from you, I’ve recently read some of your posts in some of the 2242/2245 threads.

thanks,
    Scott
    I have 4645C with 2242 and a 2042 no cabinet. but with a pair 0f 1501Fe makes them obsolete. my rooms are small and large 18" subs energizes the rooms around me, listening room limited due to LF having long wavelengths.

regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    The activity here is lifeless. A real pity. Facebook is alot more active. All the experts have disappeared or don't care anymore
    This place whilst maybe not all that busy, is still the #1 source for ANYTHING JBL or Lansing.
    It would take 3 or 4 lifetimes to go through all the wealth of info here. I still come and go here often and just read, and read, and read...
    Whatever question you may have, a simple search will probably reveal it has already been asked and dealt with in depth.
    There is no other like here or ever will be.
    Facebook is entertaining and fine in it's own way, but doesn't even come close.....
    Long live this community.
    Love to everybody.
    In those famous words by Bill & Ted, ".... be excellent to each other."
    ... and don't forget, the key to long life, is to keep breathing.
    Amen.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    2 friends with stage 4 lung cancer, another with double lung transplant. don't leave much time for audio. im just getting back into audio again.

im in my 60's and my friends are dwindling away.

I hope to continue my 1501Fe, 2206 and 2447/2332 horn 3 way project I envisioned years ago b4 life slowed everything down.

regards, Ron

missing my audio...
    I was dreadfully ill and diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell lung cancer, and given 2-3 months.
    The shock was devastating.
    After some (very fast) research, I discovered my hospital was starting trials in IMMUNOTHERAPY the very next week.
    I wasn't offered this as my Oncologists [apparently] were unaware of it which I found very hard to believe.
    Anyway, I went direct to the people in charge of trials, and BEGGED, and BEGGED, and they relented.
    I was the 2nd person to be included.
    That was December 2016
    By February 2017, the cancer was completely gone.
    The pic below is of my tumour. [the white bit off centre to the right.]
    I am 67yo, and I totally understand how you feel Ron. I have outlived many of my old friends and it gets pretty lonely sometimes. There's just no one to share a laugh with or just talk to anymore. So life changing....

I sympathise with you and am truly sorry for your friends.
    As much as I hate encouraging false hope, please look into Immunotherapy.

Most sincerely to the nth degree,
    George.

Name:  my tumour.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  16.2 KB
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    This place whilst maybe not all that busy, is still the #1 source for ANYTHING JBL or Lansing.
    It would take 3 or 4 lifetimes to go through all the wealth of info here. I still come and go here often and just read, and read, and read...
    Whatever question you may have, a simple search will probably reveal it has already been asked and dealt with in depth.
    There is no other like here or ever will be.
    Facebook is entertaining and fine in it's own way, but doesn't even come close.....
    Long live this community.
    Love to everybody.
    In those famous words by Bill & Ted, ".... be excellent to each other."
    ... and don't forget, the key to long life, is to keep breathing.
    Amen.
    The "Vintage JBL" Facebook group is kind of a joke. Apparently 90's big box JBL is "vintage" to some.

Thread Information