Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad to say but this group forum is dead

Mass access to the internet,

Is right at 20 years old.

It is not a new and different thing anymore.

I suspect that the world changing,

has more to do with what is going on.

I've noticed Twitter, has changed as well.

Due to demographics,

However,

It look like Spongebob

will retain ownership of Twitter,

For quite some time.

In spite of the current president's enthusiastic

Use of Twitter.

Should one be able to catch the meaning .

--------------------------------

The OP is quite right,

In pointing out this situation,

The point being that things are changing .

We could change with it.

But no one has to.

------------------------------------

Since the internet became readily available,

At librarys,

I've greatly expanded my music listening taste.

Also,

I just ask teenagers what they are listening to.

When they get over the shock,

Of someone their grandparents age,

Asking for music recommendations,

(The looks on their faces, are priceless)

Often they will point to something interesting .

----------------

Soundcloud can play in the background,

And has much content.

New and old.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    sorry, I don't agree with what I think you are trying to say

Quote “Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    To be honest l don’t think it’s an age issue and l don’t think it’s an issue at all.“

Polls only bring out the wingers who contribute nothing but want everything.

“sorry, I don't agree with what I think you are trying to say
    It’s easier to Google. sure, and then goofle takes you right back here.
    it is better than LHF's native search engine tho.
    Quote”The activity here is lifeless. A real pity. Facebook is alot more active. All the experts have disappeared or don't care anymore”.

One more time.

I am not aware of a significant jbl legacy following on Facebook?
    All the experts have disappeared or don’t care anymore? Really. I have expertise in some areas but l don’t recall disappearing or losing interest.
    How often had the thread owner asked a question or sort technical advice? Not often would be a nice way of putting it.
    There are a number of threads currently running by members who are knowledgeable. It’s very easy to be judgmental without any supporting fact.

On “Age” or should l say middle age my impression is you are content with your own thread (blog) but perhaps less interested in other aspects of the forms. I have no issue with that but it points to casting a wider awareness than just what first comes to mind when engaging in a reactive discussion like this one.

Are you sure your not self referential to your own concerns about age?

Logically as the forum population ages membership dynamics will change but that was not the point made by the thread owner. That is your own point that you have decided is what this thread is about. Before long everyone has a say and it’s nothing more than hot air.

It could be reasoned that with age comes knowledge and wisdom. Surely with that comes the desire to be helpful with regular posts and interest in supporting ongoing growth of the forum membership. I belong to clubs and other forums. Human behaviour being what it is the general populace can become stagnant if they become too reliant on the words of the wise few too keep them engaged. They basically want to be spoon fed while a few hard working hero’s do all the work. In other words they become lethargic. They basically stop thinking for themselves but will argue the point like grumpy old men when provoked. I liken them to old buggers. They complain and the likeminded join in.

Hey!...

poopers gonna poop.

Do you mean you have other things to do in this world besides entertaining me? WHAAAAAAAAAA?
    I hope you have a great vacation and above all be safe. It will take some time for me to figure out who's who in the forum. I'm just that slow now days.
    I already have people that I look forward to reading their posts. Again, I appreciate the info.
    Now this whole post, has some different entertainment value. It might just be turning out OK after all?

Raspberries !!!

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I am a new member so may be a different perspective.

JBL as a brand hasn't been that hot recently. Most ppl who has money are attracted by the fancier brands, Focal, B&W, etc, which has much better design and mass market oriented models. TOTL JBLs are great quality but they have lots of fancier looking competition, look at B&W models vs K2s. Hate to say that, but look matter. Those who do not, JBL don't exactly have anything to cater to them either.

JBL also isn't very popular, there is a certain stigma associated with it, old fashion, pro audio. Hardly good enough to garner enough interests. That's not to say JBL stuff are not good, in fact, they are, but quality isn't the only thing.

The only JBL ppl see are those bluetooth and that horrible light up speakers in Bestbuy, that's not helping either!

As for DIY, JBL isn't like Scan, Fostex, etc, who has a nice range of drivers available to the public. JBL drivers that are available, as far as I can tell, are supposed to be replacement and not designed to be sold to DIYers. Some don't even have specs! The remaining are used ones, and the ones available are quite beaten up already.

If JBL starts selling their drivers in parts express, madisound, then we will definitely see more activity from the DIY crowd. somehow I don't see that happening.

As for myself, I must be the odd one out. Only recently started DIY speakers and got hooked with the JBL sound. I think this forum is absolutely awesome, so much knowledge, either from googling old threads, or from super knowledgeable and helpful members.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    Most ppl who has money are attracted by the fancier brands, Focal, B&W, etc, which has much better design and mass market oriented models. TOTL JBLs are great quality but they have lots of fancier looking competition, look at B&W models vs K2s. Hate to say that, but look matter. Those who do not, JBL don't exactly have anything to cater to them either.
    Personally, I think B&Ws are an ugly mess of organic shapes and overwrought Gee-Gaws. When diamond-encrusted dust domes have anything to do with sound quality, then maybe I'll rethink my statement. If this appeals to anyone, I have to question their taste and sense of aesthetics. Every Everest has been a beautiful, functional work of art. Every B&W looks like a creature from the black lagoon.

Goofy enough to appeal to a monied younger class of venture capitalists who have never made anything in their lives, but have the money to buy stuff and don't really have a clue about good design. Or taste, apparently.

I don't think any of that has anything to do with this site's past or future
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I think it depends on who you are or where you live. JBL is still strong in the studio, record plants and broadcast industry. In the consumer market they are highly sort after in Japan and HongKong which is where the bulk sales are. I heard 3 pairs of DD67000 in peoples homes in HK. It was all about JBL. B&W are out there but having heard a marketing presentation at hifi show recently I think they are just cycling technology. Just Bling. The designs have not appreciably changed for a long time apart from some driver materials changes. If you are patient you can score drivers for some JBLs iconic systems.

The difference between the Euro diy drivers and JBL is the former are components for home bookshelf systems - HiFi sound. They will get you to 55 mph. They sound like loudspeakers. In other words compressed. The laws of physics control what you hear btw. The latter are for Texas bookshelf systems at studio monitoring levels. Real Sound. Incredible linearity. They will get you to 215mph. Nothing even comes close imho.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Personally, I think B&Ws are an ugly mess of organic shapes and overwrought Gee-Gaws. When diamond-encrusted dust domes have anything to do with sound quality, then maybe I'll rethink my statement. If this appeals to anyone, I have to question their taste and sense of aesthetics. Every Everest has been a beautiful, functional work of art. Every B&W looks like a creature from the black lagoon.

Goofy enough to appeal to a monied younger class of venture capitalists who have never made anything in their lives, but have the money to buy stuff and don't really have a clue about good design. Or taste, apparently.

I don't think any of that has anything to do with this site's past or future
    well they sell those things in Best Buy and in quantities and with high margins. So they have to make them bling and update regularly with new models. That's how they are marketed and yes, it says nothing about sound quality. I have heard $2k pair of B&W bookshelves and it was probably $200 of parts if at all, but it looks like $2k

But that's the problem. JBL also made it into Best Buy, but the monstrosity they came up is much worse, much much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I think it depends on who you are or where you live. JBL is still strong in the studio, record plants and broadcast industry. In the consumer market they are highly sort after in Japan and HongKong which is where the bulk sales are. I heard 3 pairs of DD67000 in peoples homes in HK. It was all about JBL. B&W are out there but having heard a marketing presentation at hifi show recently I think they are just cycling technology. Just Bling. The designs have not appreciably changed for a long time apart from some driver materials changes. If you are patient you can score drivers for some JBLs iconic systems.
    I am not sure what's the percentage JBL are in HK/Japan compared to other brands. My mom was looking for a new pair of speakers to replace her 20 yrs old custom made ones (which had a pair of LE15A in it). Since she likes the JBL bass I thought something in her price range and room size would be a pair of 4367. We found the distributor but their showroom displays other brands but not JBL! She finally found a pair at another retail location after asking around. Ppl have no problem finding other popular brands but JBL only carried by a handful of shops it seems.

In the end, she got a pair of very nice condition used one as the previous owner's room was too small for them. She end up really liking them.

Which bring to another point, on avg, HK/Japan don't have the room size for large JBL cabinets but yet they are popular there. Go figure.

...Your not the first one to start quoting your half arsed logic without having a fucking clue about anything to do with anything. So don’t let it bother you.
    Oh right that’s helpful.

There are many possible reasons this forum is dwindling in activity and this attitude just might be one of them.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Your not the first one to start quoting your half arsed logic without having a fucking clue about anything to do with anything. So don’t let it bother you
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Oh right that’s helpful.

There are many possible reasons this forum is dwindling in activity and this attitude just might be one of them.

Barry.
    +1
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I disagree with the OP about the forum being dead. seems like a troll.

I also disagree with a member who thinks AGE is not a factor in the forums slowdown.

currently running an age poll ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...010#post427010

that is showing 68% of respondents are 51 or older. I think that substantiated the points of age that I've already made.

OTOH ... unless the sites owner is pulling the plug because of a slowdown, then I think that the whole point is moot. Traffic cycles all the time.

The new owners of JBL are certainly NOT doing much to promote interest in the brand, so it's boiling down to legacy, pro & altec to generate interest.

As has been already said, many of the questions that need to be known have already been asked and answered.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Seems the forum has started the new year on the wrong foot. Knives flying pretty low these days. Maybe the New Year day turkeys served had a virus.

Kind of staying more on the service road recently with posts, dealing more with LP records, phono gear, etc info. Certainly less glamour, but more interested in trying to help younger generation dive into audio, as well as those with more limited budget... That also seems like a subject attracting less litigation here.

Being more open to a wider range of equipment might help in renewing the membership with younger or often less fortunate ($) folks, and get them started. Regards,

Richard

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...tor&highlight=

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ter&highlight=

Rubbish in = Rubbish out

I wish Miss Orchid was still around.......LOL

Thread Information