Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad to say but this group forum is dead

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sad to say but this group forum is dead

The activity here is lifeless. A real pity. Facebook is alot more active. All the experts have disappeared or don't care anymore

Nah, tik tok is the new shit!

Keeps the noise level down.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Activity here is fine...remember, there is a LOT of prior discussions that are still relevant and don't need to just be repeated so much as looked up.

A lot of what I've seen on FB is more show-and-tell fandom than good information. It is a different crowd and even if it has similar members, the mindset while on FB seems to be somewhat different.

I think there's another factor not taken into consideration here.

World economy has slowed down a lot, its a fact and pretty evident in many places. For example Canada recently lost something like 72,000 jobs which is a big number for one month in view of its small population of 37 million people. Btw there's more population in California alone (39.56 million) than in all of Canada... Even the German economy has been at a standstill recently! and this is Europe's engine.

On the other hand audio is considered luxury goods, not a necessity for life, and amounts allocated to this are part of discretionary expenses. Discretion is such that when things don't go too well people spend less on audio gear, concentrating on the must have instead of the nice to have. Economic uncertainty has an impact on "euphoria", plus we are getting much closer to the end of one of the longest economic cycle...

This in my view also explains why there are definitely less projects going on or in the making. People are still looking here , but a lot less involved in projects of their own at this time considering the circumstances and outlook.

Richard

RMC, I’ll respectfully disagree.

While I don’t disagree that audio is a luxury and that for most of the “Western” world there is a dramatic shrinking of the middle class as the imbalance created by the expanding of the very wealthy class is coming at the expense of everyone else, I doubt that plays a significant role here in this situation.

Heck, I first got into building my own speakers because I couldn’t afford factory made speakers.

Widget

Richard raises an interesting point.

However looking at what projects have been posted over the past 12 - 18 months the statistics might not support this hypothesis. The media last night in the USA suggests job growth in recent times but in what area l am not sure.

A project can be a simple as diy tweaks and not necessarily a full build which can be expensive l agree.

While Jbl have stopped supply of some parts l don’t believe this is a direct influence in posting traffic except for those who feel they need a vertical quest such as building a M2 or a DD67000 or of such ilk. I think that as a direction can be elitist and polarising leading to a burn out of traffic. Hence l never post about my Tad 4003 drivers worth US$9000.00 still in my wardrobe.

Btw Edgewound has the skills to build up drivers some of which are now unavailable. I would support Edgewound in this endeavour.

I think posting traffic is stimulated by insightful acNd knowledgeable posts that encourage followers to join in a healthy discussion.

Now back to enjoying Palm Springs.

So do a poll ...

ask the members age group in 5 year increments.

I'd guess that a huge percentage of LHF members is over 60 , and that is a diminishing demographic.

the growing ages seem to be in the "under 35" crowd. They generally have different needs, experiences & desires that the "over 60" gaggle.

The 60+'s are settled in their lives, have resources and usually bought the item of their lifetime dreams by now.

Sure, there are the DIY people who come here for building tips, those trying to maintain their current gear, but the current JBL offerings just are not producing the excitement of the vintage products. Doubt that anyone comes to LHF to get an opinion on the latest JBL blutooth plastic thingie.

JBL Consumer seems to be a shell of it's former self, and the forum reflects that.

that said .... "Viva la LHF forum"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Do you mean you have other things to do in this world besides entertaining me? WHAAAAAAAAAA?
    I hope you have a great vacation and above all be safe. It will take some time for me to figure out who's who in the forum. I'm just that slow now days.
    I already have people that I look forward to reading their posts. Again, I appreciate the info.
    Now this whole post, has some different entertainment value. It might just be turning out OK after all?

Raspberries !!!

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    The activity here is lifeless. A real pity. Facebook is alot more active. All the experts have disappeared or don't care anymore

Hum... it's a fact Facebook is in fashion.
    If I want to find information it is on forum type sites that I find the best information.
    Anyway the fashions pass and so do we.
    Music is emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by macsic View Post
    Hum... it's a fact Facebook is in fashion.
    If I want to find information it is on forum type sites that I find the best information.
    Anyway the fashions pass and so do we.
    No, Twitter is in fashion, Facebook is a has been - social media desparately
    trying to drum up readers to feed to their advertisers ... old hat.
    You'll be lucky if Facebook is anything resembling relevant once the next election cycle is over.

Web forums are old tech, but have great validity since they're not scrolling a new page every day or two.
    Do a search and that information remains available, even years later.
    Long term projects and older designs are just as valid now as when they were built -
    and folks with hybrid designs bring new excitement to audio system.

Dis it if you like - but there is still lots of good stuff here!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

88 posts in almost 12 years ??? seems not a big resource for you anyway ?

My trust level difference between LHF and Fakebook is magnitudes.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

New guys posting which Altec thumps with unrealistic bass gets more comments than others posting legitimate vintage Altec JBL questions about specific woofers and horns. And no not all questions are covered in past posts I have searched.

I wouldn't say lifeless, but it has certainly slowed down quite a bit over the decades.

I think there are quite a few contributing factors here.

1. Several of our most prolific members have sadly passed away.

2. Member 4313B, aka Giskard, Lancer etc. has left the building for personal reasons. Along with a volatile and sometimes eccentric posting style he was able to bring us a lot of insider and technical info from the braintrust at JBL. It is too bad we have lost that connection, but then that braintrust has been significantly damaged by upper management at Harman anyway.

3. JBL has become very bad about supporting their legacy products. The products that brought so many of us here in the first place.

4. Many of us have said what we had to say and it is out there for others to read. Some posts may be very useful to some and other posts... not so much.

Related to the above observations, Don McRitchie who founded this site and forum has a JBL system he is quite happy with and his interests have moved on to other areas like photography. I for one have a system that satisfies me and I may or may not ever tackle another DIY speaker system. On the new commercially produced products that JBL/Harman is producing, there is little to interest me personally so there you are. Beyond that, there are a number of other good sites that are better for general audio discussions.

Widget

Thread Information