Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad to say but this group forum is dead

The 8 inch mid woofer was nla before Jbl stopped many of its recones so l do t think it’s an appropriate example.

As to the 4312 the woofers and the original or after market mid drivers and 035’s are readily available on EBay. Or buy the new L100 Classic.

Don’t forget your fellow forum members who are sitting on a stash of unused drivers.

I have purchased mint 2122 mid cone drivers, 2235s with original recone kits and clean 2405H drivers in recent months from LHS members. My next projects are L300’s and 4344’s.

It’s what you make of it.

Invest new life in your system.

I recently purchased a VPI Prime and Kesiki Purple Heart vinyl set up. My Jbl rig has new life from vinyl.
    Also new is my new Nad preamp for Tidal with MQA hi res streaming. I am about to but SH First Watt F7 for a triamp 4345 with my new pure analogue active crossover.

There is always something new to be discovered. But it’s not going to come to you.

If you feel you’ve been there and done it all l would suggest you are more obsessed about visiting this site for a chat than actually being hands on.

You have to have the desire.

I have more than enough parts to do any builds that I would want, I was speaking more about the hypothetical newcomer who might stumble in looking for some vintage parts sources. Sure, you can gamble on used eBay and I mentioned the aftermarket stuff - but aftermarket diaphragms for JBL ring radiators, unless they have drastically improved of late, were not really up to snuff. Are the aftermarket dome tweeters? Couldn't say. JBL ain't selling them anymore, and I don't think some folks realize that until years too late for their beloved legacy systems.

I'd always trust the combined intelligence and knowledge here (and in other specific forums) much more than that BS that is being distibuted via Fakebook.

Best regards!

I think there's another factor not taken into consideration here.

World economy has slowed down a lot, its a fact and pretty evident in many places. For example Canada recently lost something like 72,000 jobs which is a big number for one month in view of its small population of 37 million people. Btw there's more population in California alone (39.56 million) than in all of Canada... Even the German economy has been at a standstill recently! and this is Europe's engine.

On the other hand audio is considered luxury goods, not a necessity for life, and amounts allocated to this are part of discretionary expenses. Discretion is such that when things don't go too well people spend less on audio gear, concentrating on the must have instead of the nice to have. Economic uncertainty has an impact on "euphoria", plus we are getting much closer to the end of one of the longest economic cycle...

This in my view also explains why there are definitely less projects going on or in the making. People are still looking here , but a lot less involved in projects of their own at this time considering the circumstances and outlook.

Richard

RMC, I’ll respectfully disagree.

While I don’t disagree that audio is a luxury and that for most of the “Western” world there is a dramatic shrinking of the middle class as the imbalance created by the expanding of the very wealthy class is coming at the expense of everyone else, I doubt that plays a significant role here in this situation.

Heck, I first got into building my own speakers because I couldn’t afford factory made speakers.

Widget

Richard raises an interesting point.

However looking at what projects have been posted over the past 12 - 18 months the statistics might not support this hypothesis. The media last night in the USA suggests job growth in recent times but in what area l am not sure.

A project can be a simple as diy tweaks and not necessarily a full build which can be expensive l agree.

While Jbl have stopped supply of some parts l don’t believe this is a direct influence in posting traffic except for those who feel they need a vertical quest such as building a M2 or a DD67000 or of such ilk. I think that as a direction can be elitist and polarising leading to a burn out of traffic. Hence l never post about my Tad 4003 drivers worth US$9000.00 still in my wardrobe.

Btw Edgewound has the skills to build up drivers some of which are now unavailable. I would support Edgewound in this endeavour.

I think posting traffic is stimulated by insightful acNd knowledgeable posts that encourage followers to join in a healthy discussion.

Now back to enjoying Palm Springs.

So do a poll ...

ask the members age group in 5 year increments.

I'd guess that a huge percentage of LHF members is over 60 , and that is a diminishing demographic.

the growing ages seem to be in the "under 35" crowd. They generally have different needs, experiences & desires that the "over 60" gaggle.

The 60+'s are settled in their lives, have resources and usually bought the item of their lifetime dreams by now.

Sure, there are the DIY people who come here for building tips, those trying to maintain their current gear, but the current JBL offerings just are not producing the excitement of the vintage products. Doubt that anyone comes to LHF to get an opinion on the latest JBL blutooth plastic thingie.

JBL Consumer seems to be a shell of it's former self, and the forum reflects that.

that said .... "Viva la LHF forum"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

To be honest l don’t think it’s an age issue and l don’t think it’s an issue at all.

If you come here to be entertained by other people’s questions your out of luck.
    If you come here for a Yaba festival good for you. I frankly don’t have the time or the desire for that.

One of the issues with this kind of forum “Structure” is nothing remains visible for very long.

If the new lurker does not see any visibility of the relevant topic he or she is looking for they might ask in a single post after a search but that is hard work. Even then the information they are looking for might not be in the thread they have found and the members might not have the right answers or information they require.

It’s easier to Google.

On Age know of two recent diy build / modifications under 35.
    There are a number of collectors who naturally will be regular visitors.

So the original post might need re thinking.

With under 100 posts from the OP l don’t find the statement reliable.

It reminds me of Rolf (RIP) complaining when no one responded to his post’s within 24 hours....Lol.

Polls only bring out the wingers who contribute nothing but want everything.

Hi Widget,

Please note my point hasn't been about the middle class VS the riches, never mentioned that. More about the global economy slowing down a lot in the last 12 months or so and its effect on discretionary expenses.

As for the USA, well its been sort of the exception up to now, it has slowed globally but less so than many others, that's why the US Fed reserve has reduced interest rates not long ago. I follow business/economic news (plus world news) everyday on Bloomberg and a number of other news only channels, while reading the newspaper. Wife sure won't sit on sofa next to me then, but big Jules the cat won't mind a cuddle LOL

Other large trading partners are pretty down: Europe and Germany in particular, China down too, Japan also, Britain (though some Brexit impact too), Canada, etc. There's a whole bunch of them not doing that well these days and that often impacts their population. But generally members don't come here saying I'm just looking because cash is tight or I'm being prudent money wise right now because... Doesn't look good.

I certainly didn't deny the fact JBL doesn't make it easy, as others have said, for builders to recone, use or make legacy reproductions, i.e. making the legacy prosper and live longer. My post mentioned "also explains" which doesn't reject other explanations, but simply adds another possible one regarding lower number of audio projects. Regards,

Richard

I would posit that the economy was far worse when this site was active than it is now. I don't see any direct connection between activity here and world economic indicators.

We're a special-interest group, and a rather small one at that. Any fluctuation in activity by individual members will have a disproportionate affect on the site as a whole. When I joined this group 14-years ago I was amazed at the knowledge trust available to me and I was already by that time a JBL owner for 40-years and had never been here before. People will cycle in and cycle out. The most prolific of our resident experts (not me, for sure) create a disproportionate void when they—for whatever reason—become inactive.

It is my hope that this site remains vibrant and that valued members continue to contribute freely, but I have no delusion that age doesn't contribute to attrition here. Age also contributes to shorter attention spans with the youngest perhaps more comfortable with the slam-bam tempo of Facebook than us older folk who still actually read books and magazines, and buy CDs for the liner notes.

My other passion is my German car brand. Our Club just celebrated the 50th anniversary of our annual get-together. We didn't start as a vintage club and often we struggle with being relevant for the now-vintage-vehicle owners over the constant influx of new purchasers. To some extent there has been a renewed interest in cars that cost $3000 new when I started that are currently selling at auction for 20-times that. Collectors versus enthusiasts have different needs and wants. That 50th anniversary was met with the powers-that-be deciding the 50th should be the last, for whatever reason. Next year's venue for a yet-to-be-named event is a California resort area where the proletariat will struggle to justify the expense of attending.

The good news is that this change in my car club comes as our vintage owners increase participation at their smaller annual events to the point that the host hotel is booked a year in advance appealing to an age demographic that continues to expand. Good and bad. As long as interest to support our hobbies continue, I'll participate as I can, help those I can, and learn as much as I can from those who have and share their expertise.

Long Live Lansing Heritage. And thanks, again, to those who make this group what it is.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    To be honest l don’t think it’s an age issue and l don’t think it’s an issue at all.

Polls only bring out the wingers who contribute nothing but want everything.
    sorry, I don't agree with what I think you are trying to say

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    It’s easier to Google.
    sure, and then goofle takes you right back here.

it is better than LHF's native search engine tho.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

But Google lists the discussions

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I would posit that the economy was far worse when this site was active than it is now. I don't see any direct connection between activity here and world economic indicators.

We're a special-interest group, and a rather small one at that. Any fluctuation in activity by individual members will have a disproportionate affect on the site as a whole. When I joined this group 14-years ago I was amazed at the knowledge trust available to me and I was already by that time a JBL owner for 40-years and had never been here before. People will cycle in and cycle out. The most prolific of our resident experts (not me, for sure) create a disproportionate void when they—for whatever reason—become inactive.
    Well said.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by macsic View Post
    Hum... it's a fact Facebook is in fashion.
    If I want to find information it is on forum type sites that I find the best information.
    Anyway the fashions pass and so do we.
    No, Twitter is in fashion, Facebook is a has been - social media desparately
    trying to drum up readers to feed to their advertisers ... old hat.
    You'll be lucky if Facebook is anything resembling relevant once the next election cycle is over.

Web forums are old tech, but have great validity since they're not scrolling a new page every day or two.
    Do a search and that information remains available, even years later.
    Long term projects and older designs are just as valid now as when they were built -
    and folks with hybrid designs bring new excitement to audio system.

Dis it if you like - but there is still lots of good stuff here!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    The activity here is lifeless. A real pity. Facebook is alot more active. All the experts have disappeared or don't care anymore

Quote by OP 17/07/2017”Has Tad overtaken JBL in build quality and sonic superiority years ago?
    This is what i have been hearing among the JBL community. Even everest paragon L300 hartsfield cant compare to the Tad superior sound. Agree Disagree? Have you heard both sides to confirm or rebut? Im very diisappointed if this was the case. And its sad that top jbl engineers allegedly were allowed to defect to Tad for more money. Am very upset by this news.”

Looking at both posts one could argue the OP has made a determined effort to provoke conflicting responses with spurious unsubstantiated emotion.

The questions in both cases being bogus cap. Sheer ignorance of wider activity on the forums or just out to get a rise? Scanning his prior 80 odd posts over 8 years statistically the OP has rarely asked a specific technical question but were answered correctly. Mostly on Altec components. Most posts being more general comments seldom leading a fact based discussion.

Thread Information