Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Which PRO amplifier to match, to the KEF 105 II

  1. #1
    Junior Member blues 66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    italia
    Posts
    9

    Which PRO amplifier to match, to the KEF 105 II



    What PRO amplifier to match, to KEF 105 II, beautiful question 'Good morning everyone, I would need some help , for a friend who took Kef 105 II... some model of good PRO amps years 78 /85 musical 'max 500 euros' I proposed an AmcronCrown DC 300 MkII , or the D150 he found an Electro Voice 44 th is as good as Amcron /Crown 'thank you'

  2. #2
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    sheltering in place
    Posts
    9,445
    I'm a believer in BGW amps. Their vintage hold up well. I would think you could get a 750/c/d etc ... shipped and gone through and updated for less than 500

    their new stuff ===>>> https://www.bgw.com/products/2-amplifiers
    STRANGE ....is the new NORMAL

  3. #3
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,250
    Why do you want to limit yourself to a pro (otherwise known as a PA) amp?


    Widget

  4. #4
    Senior Member RMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    835
    E-V 44 was a very old integrated amp with 40W/ ch. 8 ohm. Could it be instead E-V Q44 launched in 2009 or so?

    I would tend to forget about the old E-V 44.

    Those Kef having 85-86 db sensitivity 1W 1 M (depending on spec sheet version) an E-V 44 would be bare minimum to drive the speakers having amp rating 40-200W, without much headroom...

    With 200W max input power you get about 107 db SPL as per one version of spec sheet...

    In the amp years you mention you may also look at the Phase Linear 400 or maybe even the original Crest Audio P-3500, if you can find one of those which I doubt... These are in addition to the Amcron & BGW previously mentioned. Regards,

    Richard

  5. #5
    Junior Member blues 66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    italia
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I'm a believer in BGW amps. Their vintage hold up well. I would think you could get a 750/c/d etc ... shipped and gone through and updated for less than 500

    their new stuff ===>>> https://www.bgw.com/products/2-amplifiers
    Hello Seawolf97 thank you, I will inform you.'


    Widget[/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    E-V 44 was a very old integrated amp with 40W/ ch. 8 ohm. Could it be instead E-V Q44 launched in 2009 or so?

    I would tend to forget about the old E-V 44.

    Those Kef having 85-86 db sensitivity 1W 1 M (depending on spec sheet version) an E-V 44 would be bare minimum to drive the speakers having amp rating 40-200W, without much headroom...

    With 200W max input power you get about 107 db SPL as per one version of spec sheet...

    In the amp years you mention you may also look at the Phase Linear 400 or maybe even the original Crest Audio P-3500, if you can find one of those which I doubt... These are in addition to the Amcron & BGW previously mentioned. Regards,

    Richard
    hello Richard, if I'm not mistaken it should be the last , the one of 2009 I'm waiting answer from friend he told me that it's the EV Q44


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Why do you want to limit yourself to a pro (otherwise known as a PA) amp?


    Widget
    Hello Mr. Widget , definitely power and saving money, and also to see you really feel, the sonic differences, in short a 'different experience from the usual names, in the Home Hi Fi.'

    A Last Note, without fans would be better.

    thank you all.'

  6. #6
    Senior Member RMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    835
    The amcron DC300 had no fan and the phase Linear 400 neither. The EV Q44, BGW 750 series and the original Crest Audio P-3500 have fans.

    Also the EV Q44 isn't "some model of good PRO amps years 78 /85" but rather 2009 or so... So you need to clarify this matter. BTW Bryston 4B Pro, no fan, could be another nice possibility but not sure it would fit the max price target of 500 Euros. You'll see in Europe (if they were distributed there). Regards,

    Richard

  7. #7
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    sheltering in place
    Posts
    9,445
    Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    The amcron DC300 had no fan and the phase Linear 400 neither. The EV Q44, BGW 750 series and the original Crest Audio P-3500 have fans.

    Also the EV Q44 isn't "some model of good PRO amps years 78 /85" but rather 2009 or so... So you need to clarify this matter. BTW Bryston 4B Pro, no fan, could be another nice possibility but not sure it would fit the max price target of 500 Euros. You'll see in Europe (if they were distributed there). Regards,

    Richard
    BGW 750 series, at least the "D" has a fan "high or low" switch. I bypassed and mounted a muffin fan with a speed control and run that whisper quiet, doesn't even get warm when pushed.

    My little BGW 250D does not have a fan.

    Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    In the amp years you mention you may also look at the Phase Linear 400
    PL has terrible reputation.
    STRANGE ....is the new NORMAL

  8. #8
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,250
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    PL has terrible reputation.
    How can you say that about Flame Linear?

    In in my opinion they really don’t sound particularly great when stock either.


    Widget

  9. #9
    Dang. Amateur speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,603
    There must be continental forums for better answers. I would think a European maker would make more sense for availability and service.

    Any used pro amp should be gone through because almost without exception they have been ridden hard and put up wet. In the States the best bets are amps that have been in churches. Dutch Reformed, Presbyterians and Lutherians probably the safest choices there.

    The JBL UREI 6230/60/90 amps are pretty decent, actually, and I believe they were marketed for 220 volt grids and in the stated era, or close. The 6290 sounds the best to me and has the power needed. Has a fan, but a tech could alter the control circuit.

    Don't know if Bryston is marketed in Europe, but a 4B ST would be a good choice.

    I agree on the Phase Linear amps. Dangerous to both your speakers and your nervous system.

    Again, not sure if ever sold in Europe, but the Harman Kardon Citation 22 at 200 wpc has often been recommended here, although I have no personal experience of it.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Which amp to match JBL 4315?
    By JackyTran in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-06-2020, 05:45 PM
  2. Anybody got a match?
    By Steve Schell in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-01-2016, 02:05 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-07-2016, 11:01 AM
  4. Match Altec 411 8a
    By robertbartsch in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •