Thread: 4410A's questions

4410A's questions

Hi all,

just picked up a pair of 4410A's......

found the schematic.... I've never seen the black (-) input run the series side of the speaker crossover parts.
    But that is how its wired.... the resistor in series on tweeter looks like its been abused. the glue has burned away on it...

Is it because of third order that the phase is shifted??

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_rockett View Post

<<<SNIP>>>>

Is it because of third order that the phase is shifted??

Weird question .

The ( before mentioned ) resistor is burnt due to those speakers being over-powered ( or the Wattage value of the resistor being too low ).

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Weird question .

The ( before mentioned ) resistor is burnt due to those speakers being over-powered ( or the Wattage value of the resistor being too low ).

attached is a pic of the schematic.... I thought they made a mistake on the in lines .... As I removed the board, they are running black (-)
    on the line that contains the series items.... I normally see the caps and stuff in series on the plus side.... So the question was why are they reversing it on this design?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL has since inception ( more-or-less ) partially followed the electrical convention where the "Hot" wire is Black while the Neutral ( return wire ) is given some other color .

JBL ( on their drivers ) typically uses the black terminal as the terminal that will give forward cone motion ( with a positive pulse applied > say from a battery ).

Who-ever chose the color-coding of the network wires ( that you're looking at ) was most likely simply trying to remain true to JBL's historic color-coding convention ( even if it is seemingly backwards to the rest of the industry ).

FWIW, since audio is AC, the ( series ) passive components in a crossover can be on either network leg ( even both legs ).

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    JBL has since inception ( more-or-less ) partially followed the electrical convention where the "Hot" wire is Black while the Neutral ( return wire ) is given some other color .

JBL ( on their drivers ) typically uses the black terminal as the terminal that will give forward cone motion ( with a positive pulse applied > say from a battery ).

Who-ever choose the color-coding of the network wires ( that you're looking at ) was most likely simply trying to remain true to JBL's historic color-coding convention ( even if it is seemingly backwards to the rest of the industry ).

FWIW, since audio is AC, the ( series ) passive components in a crossover can be on either network leg ( even both legs ).

Thanks Earl!! that helped alot.... I was aware of the AC nature... I wasn't sure so much appreciate your sharing....

Thread Information