Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on where to send L112 woofers for repair...

Need advice on where to send L112 woofers for repair...

As title states - just bought a pair of L112s and one of the woofers has a buzz in the lower corner upon significant excursion. I plan on rocking these speakers pretty hard and want to be sure woofers are up to snuff.

So? Who do I send them to? Great Plains? Simply? Someone else??

Any experiential advice is helpful and appreciated as always!

Thanks and happy new year to all.

chris in connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    As title states - just bought a pair of L112s and one of the woofers has a buzz in the lower corner upon significant excursion. I plan on rocking these speakers pretty hard and want to be sure woofers are up to snuff.

So? Who do I send them to? Great Plains? Simply? Someone else??

Any experiential advice is helpful and appreciated as always!

Thanks and happy new year to all.

chris in connecticut
    Hey - You're in NYC area, embarrassment of riches. That is an easy woofer to do, my local JBL guy did mine in a day. Just check for a near-by JBL pro shop. There is a map / service# on the JBL pro web site.

Have you done any investigation into what the issue might be? In most cases a woofer repair requires little more than a re-foam. That is a pretty simple repair overall. If the foam is still okay, and it's some kind of deeper problem, then I might suggest being a bit more picky on who you take it to.

If the foam is okay, the next thing I would suggest checking would be the spider. The spider can become partially unglued/detached. That could easily account for the buzz you are hearing. If it only partially detached from the frame, as shown in the previous linked picture, that means you've averted disaster and all it would take is a tiny bit of glue to fix it - no need to send it in for repair.

Beyond that, I would check for voice coil rubbing. If you press in on the cone, is it smooth or does it feel like it's catching/rubbing/grinding on anything?

Thanks for the replies. I haven't removed the woofer yet. I'm proceeding cautiously and deliberately. Got these off of Ebay and personally picked them up. They looked perfect (common story, right!?), but when I finally hooked them up, I gave them some time to warm up and then I pushed them a bit and buzzo. I was so disappointed. BUT, the seller has agreed to pay for the repair. I just want them perfect because they are kind of my current grail - the ideal upgrade from L100s.

I'm going to reach out via the JBL Pro site and also wouldn't mind some feedback about simply speakers total rebuild service - which I'm leery of due to the cone replacement not being a JBL part.

Again, thanks for the advice - I will take the woofer out and take a look before I go crazy. The foam surround look fine, for the record.

The coil doesn't seem like it's rubbing - no scraping or grinding.

Other diagnostic info: on the suspect woofer, when played at relatively low volume, if you but your finger gently on the lower left corner, it immediately causes sonic turbulence, rattling of sorts. This doesn't happen on the other woofer, or anywhere else on either woofer. Also, when you gently tap that area, the sound is not a solid dull thud, but a slightly 'broken' thud, if that makes sense. Obviously I gotta take this driver out. !!!

edgewound

From my experience edgewound at Upland Loudspeaker Service operates at the highest level of honesty and integrity when it come to bona fide JBL repairs. I understand he's on the other coast however there would be no questions as to the authenticity of the repairs.

George

Quote Originally Posted by gcarlberg View Post
    From my experience edgewound at Upland Loudspeaker Service operates at the highest level of honesty and integrity when it come to bona fide JBL repairs. I understand he's on the other coast however there would be no questions as to the authenticity of the repairs.

George
    Edgewound may be out of the business / another LHF member has had some 128H woofers waiting for a few months ( for service ) all the while with Ken not being responsive to the owners emails .

So one wants to be careful ( at this time ) making these recommendations .

Great Plains audio is now able to repair JBL stuff. First rate work also
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Thanks for all the replies. Once done, I will report on my experience for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Edgewound may be out of the business / another LHF member has had some 128H woofers waiting for a few months ( for service ) all the while with Ken not being responsive to the owners emails .

So one wants to be careful ( at this time ) making these recommendations .

Not out of business. Been busy...and recovering from colds/flu for the past couple of months. The best way to message me is via email or telephone. The 128Hs in for repair...with JBL C8R128H recone kits will be shipping soon...when the invoice is paid.

BTW....Happy New Year!
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Not out of business.
    BTW....Happy New Year!
    Glad to hear that one of LH's most dependable resources is still available!
    Happy New Year to you—and everyone here!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Removed woofer: photos

Name:  128H-2.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  132.8 KB

Name:  128H - 1.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  90.7 KB

This is the re-foam glue job I encountered. Thoughts? I'm thinking this is terrible. Not only that - when I gently push the woofer outward from the back, the coil scrapes. This doesn't happen when pushing in from front. Is this normal? I don't think the previous owner ever took these woofers out, so he was unaware of the condition.

I'm disappointed, but I'm also committed to having these speaker work as they should.

Any input here would be great. Thanks in advance.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    This is the re-foam glue job I encountered. Thoughts?
    I'm thinking I'd like to see what they look like from the front!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Your wish is my command...

They looked fabulous when I picked them up - and still do. Or so I thought. Here ya go:

Name:  L112-fullfront.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  170.3 KB

Name:  L112-woofer.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  190.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Hey - You're in NYC area, embarrassment of riches. That is an easy woofer to do, my local JBL guy did mine in a day. Just check for a near-by JBL pro shop. There is a map / service# on the JBL pro web site.
    Re your post #11: Good example why JBL does not recommend re-foaming surrounds. It cannot be guaranteed "as new." The job I referenced above with 1-day turn around was a full JBL recone. Cost approx $220 parts and labor.

Hi there. I went to the JBL pro site and spoke to someone who suggested I send them to a place in Springfield MA. OK, maybe. For my edification, Mannermusic, can you tell me exactly where you sent yours? I'm thinking of just getting both woofers re-done for peace-of-mind, steady listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Re your post #11: Good example why JBL does not recommend re-foaming surrounds. It cannot be guaranteed "as new." The job I referenced above with 1-day turn around was a full JBL recone. Cost approx $220 parts and labor.

Thread Information