Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on where to send L112 woofers for repair...

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Hi there. I went to the JBL pro site and spoke to someone who suggested I send them to a place in Springfield MA. OK, maybe. For my edification, Mannermusic, can you tell me exactly where you sent yours? I'm thinking of just getting both woofers re-done for peace-of-mind, steady listening.
    Resuspension with new surround installed cleanly, new spider, replace rotted dust screen, clean gap of foam goo...

They'll perform like new.

There is a couple of videos on my Facebook page of this exact operation I did a few months ago. I should upload to YouTube...on my "to do" list.

https://www.facebook.com/UplandLouds...7412589819370/ before installing back into frame.

https://www.facebook.com/UplandLouds...3768207742105/ Testing with sweep generator after install.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Hi there. I went to the JBL pro site and spoke to someone who suggested I send them to a place in Springfield MA. OK, maybe. For my edification, Mannermusic, can you tell me exactly where you sent yours? I'm thinking of just getting both woofers re-done for peace-of-mind, steady listening.
    Yeah, good thinking. They will last 40 years. The shop here is AFP Sound Systems, 127 N. Wixom Rd., Wixom, MI 48393. 248-669-9900. Forty miles NW of Detroit. Ck the www. You could call for a quote. But, I'd call Springfield first - shipping is not exactly cheap. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Not out of business. Been busy...and recovering from colds/flu for the past couple of months. The best way to message me is via email or telephone. The 128Hs in for repair...with JBL C8R128H recone kits will be shipping soon...when the invoice is paid.

BTW....Happy New Year!
    Glad to hear you are still in the game! Good luck in getting caught up, and may we all have a wonderful 2020!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Edgewound may be out of the business / another LHF member has had some 128H woofers waiting for a few months ( for service ) all the while with Ken not being responsive to the owners emails .

So one wants to be careful ( at this time ) making these recommendations .

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Not out of business. Been busy...and recovering from colds/flu for the past couple of months. The best way to message me is via email or telephone. The 128Hs in for repair...with JBL C8R128H recone kits will be shipping soon...when the invoice is paid.

BTW....Happy New Year!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Glad to hear you are still in the game! Good luck in getting caught up, and may we all have a wonderful 2020!

Widget
    He lives! As soon as I was made aware of an invoice I made sure money went down the funnel.. Although due to timing and other projects Ken (Edgewound) went with the C8R128H recone kits instead of the custom application of Aquaplas like we had originally discussed. Doesn't matter to me as long as my 128H's perform as they should now, although I do wonder if I'd have gotten them back sooner if we just went that route to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Re your post #11: Good example why JBL does not recommend re-foaming surrounds. It cannot be guaranteed "as new." The job I referenced above with 1-day turn around was a full JBL recone. Cost approx $220 parts and labor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Yeah, good thinking. They will last 40 years. The shop here is AFP Sound Systems, 127 N. Wixom Rd., Wixom, MI 48393. 248-669-9900. Forty miles NW of Detroit. Ck the www. You could call for a quote. But, I'd call Springfield first - shipping is not exactly cheap. Mike
    Hey, a metro Detroiter like myself! Was not aware of AFP Sound Systems until now, but if these 128H's shine, all of my business will go to Edgewound. I originally ran the gamut with a local, well revered JBL reconer out of Oxford, MI. Went through a refoam of both 128H's then a recone of both using 129-1 cones if I remember right. Ken tore them apart and explained the differences to me at that time and explained why that cone isn't suitable for a 128H, I forget the specifics now though. Bottom line was, before Ken I wasted a ton of time and money traveling to and from Oxford and paid for my disappointment. I was also told through that reconer/service provider (who shows up under JBL's list of official reconers) that the C8R128H kits were no longer available.. Anyway, I'll update my L150A thread as soon as I get them reinstalled & dialed in.
    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 01-06-2020 at 04:45 AM. Reason: My grammar sucked and wanted to add previous recone back story..

Update, as promised.

My 128H's have returned and the verdict is in! Please visit my thread here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...907#post426907 for details and pics. Spoiler alert: Ken (edgewound) has a customer for life now.

Just this day packed and shipped off my 128H woofers for my L112s to Ken. I'll post up when they're done, back and pumping out sound. Glad to hear your positive experience! It's a long and expensive trip!!!

Awesome. You will not be disappointed. And boy do I know all about that expensive journey.. For what I've got into these L150A's, I could have nearly had JBL XPL-200A's or L220's... I never thought I'd be able to jam these L150A's either, every time I got them back from the other "reputable" & "certified" reconer it just got worse and worse. I cannot thank Ken enough for rekindling my spirits with these JBL's, I've been nothing but smiles ever since I got them back on the road. Those Klipsch Cornwalls are trash by comparison, they'll make a great garage speaker.

Former Member
    Cornwalls "trash"?

i'm glad you're happy but gettin' a little extreme with the hyperbole there derek

maybe what the Corns were hooked to was the trash?

maybe? that or just a shitty match for horns? or maybe you just don't dig horns?

possible? 'cause Cornwalls are a lot of things but "trash" ain't one of 'em

Michael

JBL L150A vs Klipsch Cornwall I

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chavez View Post
    Cornwalls "trash"?

i'm glad you're happy but gettin' a little extreme with the hyperbole there derek

maybe what the Corns were hooked to was the trash?

maybe? that or just a shitty match for horns? or maybe you just don't dig horns?

possible? 'cause Cornwalls are a lot of things but "trash" ain't one of 'em

Michael
    That's just like, your opinion, maan.

And I shared mine. You know not what they're hooked to nor were you there for comparison. But I'll concede 'trash' is a strong word but they aren't as articulate or accurate in the midrange nor are they as dynamic in the upper regions. They had a bias toward the midbass region and needed a significant boost below 70hz to get a punchier bass experience out of them. I also had to significantly curtail midrange frequencies in the 800-4500hz range, more so than with any other speaker I've got. Doing that tamed them and made them significantly easier on the ear and more enjoyable to listen to. Now, when we were listening to just the Cornwalls exclusively, we thought they were pretty damn decent. Matter of fact, I am into Klipsch now more so than I was before, would very much like to get a hand on a set of Forte II's to audition. But I digress, I do like horns. Matter of fact, they did sound surprisingly life like with brass instrumentation. Once tamed by the equalizer, I was pleased with how easy on the ear they were and I even had to dial back the gain settings on my Marantz 510M as that's how efficient they are. But the weak K77 squaker can't handle the power over extended periods of high horsepower output from the 510M, nor can they reach as high with the accuracy and clarity of the 044 tweeter in the L150A's. When I got my L150A's reinstated and tuned in equalizer wise. Auditioning between the two revealed the weaknesses of the Cornwalls. Even the ladies I had listening to them preferred the 150A's. There's more presence and image to the JBL's, bass is more lifelike yet so far though, not as strong as the Cornies but I suspect that is due to the surrounds still breaking in. They're getting better each session and with positioning tweaks. I really like the LE5-12 mid in the 150A's too, and the 044 tweeter is better to my ears than people give it credit for. I really enjoy how articulate, life like & airy piano & banjo sound coming from those things. Something the Klipsch Cornies fumbled through but without comparison, you'd think they were pretty decent, just as we did. Then when the lower notes of piano or bass guitar hit, the 128H delivers them with authority, but without the "party" bass like punch the Klipsch has, more like as if the band/piano was right in your living room. Now, I've auditioned the Marantz 3600 & 510M combo against a Yamaha, Harman/Kardon and RCA receiver. Nothing has pleased like the Marantz has, it's just more robust to our ears than the other stuff. So I stand behind my verdict; the Klipsch Cornwalls will be perfect for the garage as they're easier for the 50 watts the RCA receiver has to give and I shouldn't pop the fragile K77's.

I once upon a time thought I'd move away from the L150A after some time, but I will be holding on to these until death me thinks. A very fine and underated set of speakers. Bonus verbage: About a year ago I was researching speakers to purchase for this purpose. I had the L150A's in my mind but the Cornwalls were higher on my list. A set popped up on Craigslist during the work week but by the time Friday came around, they were gone. My set of L150A's popped up on Thursday evening. I contacted the seller Friday afternoon, picked them up Saturday morning. I always hankered for the Cornwalls after that, wondering if I made the wrong choice and what would have happened if I had the Cornwalls instead. Well, two or three months ago, the exact same set of Cornwalls came up for sale in Burton, MI as they were before. Maybe the owner pulled the ad. Whatever, I picked them up and was able to satisfy that "itch" if you will. Glad I did. I doubt I'll sell these Cornies either, perfect garage speaker.

I maybe late to the party, BUT, Without a doubt, my vote would be Edgewound..

I took the advice. Ken has my speakers in Upland. We spoke on the phone. Very reassuring all around. Can't wait to get them back.

I took the advice. Ken has my speakers in Upland. We spoke on the phone. Very reassuring all around. Can't wait to get them back.
    They are on their way back to you. Thanks, again!

https://www.facebook.com/UplandLouds...type=3&theater
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information