Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: N7000 vs N7000 16 ohm

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    92

    N7000 vs N7000 16 ohm

    I have always heard the JBL crossovers labeled "16 ohm" were no difference than ones with no impedance labeling, ie. N7000 vs N7000 16 ohm. I finally decided to have a look for myself. An older N7000 16 ohm popped up on e-Bay and I grabbed it. I took the parts out of an N7000 and the 16 ohm version for testing and comparison.

    Although any caps from crossovers of this vintage are probably out of spec, the caps did have the same part number, #10460. the only difference was one were wax filled, the other, epoxy filled. From the JBL literature, that part # corresponds to a 1.5 uF cap. That also matches up with the JBL schematic from the JBL site that we have all seen.

    I'm assuming if the caps match the N7000 schematic, the coils should also for proper crossover. And the specs of a coil should not change with age, like with caps (is that correct?)

    Here is what I got:
    Older N7000 16 ohm crossover: coil part # 10421, measure .503 mH and .506 mH
    Newer N7000: coil part # 13219P (and) 16265, measure .570 mH and .566 mH

    The only part number I can find was 10421, which corresponds to a coil in a 4412 speaker crossover and is rated at 1 mH. (I'm assuming this is an example of JBL recycling part numbers?)
    Both are fairly close to the .6 mH shown on the N7000 schematic.


    What do you guys think? Are the "N7000" and the "N7000 16 ohm" crossovers the same? I'm not very good at reverse designing crossovers, but I'm guessing if those coils in the older N7000 16 ohm were meant to be .5 mH, I doubt that would make much of a difference in the crossover, not enough to account for a 16 ohm speaker vs an 8 ohm.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric M. View Post
    I have always heard the JBL crossovers labeled "16 ohm" were no difference than ones with no impedance labeling, ie. N7000 vs N7000 16 ohm. I finally decided to have a look for myself. An older N7000 16 ohm popped up on e-Bay and I grabbed it. I took the parts out of an N7000 and the 16 ohm version for testing and comparison.

    Although any caps from crossovers of this vintage are probably out of spec, the caps did have the same part number, #10460. the only difference was one were wax filled, the other, epoxy filled. From the JBL literature, that part # corresponds to a 1.5 uF cap. That also matches up with the JBL schematic from the JBL site that we have all seen.

    I'm assuming if the caps match the N7000 schematic, the coils should also for proper crossover. And the specs of a coil should not change with age, like with caps (is that correct?)

    Here is what I got:
    Older N7000 16 ohm crossover: coil part # 10421, measure .503 mH and .506 mH
    Newer N7000: coil part # 13219P (and) 16265, measure .570 mH and .566 mH

    The only part number I can find was 10421, which corresponds to a coil in a 4412 speaker crossover and is rated at 1 mH. (I'm assuming this is an example of JBL recycling part numbers?)
    Both are fairly close to the .6 mH shown on the N7000 schematic.


    What do you guys think? Are the "N7000" and the "N7000 16 ohm" crossovers the same? I'm not very good at reverse designing crossovers, but I'm guessing if those coils in the older N7000 16 ohm were meant to be .5 mH, I doubt that would make much of a difference in the crossover, not enough to account for a 16 ohm speaker vs an 8 ohm.

    In my experience, those old crossovers last almost indefinitely. Very low current through those high efficiency systems. Rather, it is mainly a matter of how they have been used - damp, abused, pro history, etc. Bottom line, you have to measure them. There are schematics in the data base if you want to make new. N7000 are all the same - just depends what product it was originally installed.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    N7000 are all the same.
    That's what it looks like.
    Anyone else ever find an N7000 that uses anything other that the 1.5 mF caps and .6 mH coils?

    Thanks,

    Eric M.

  4. #4
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric M. View Post
    That's what it looks like.
    Anyone else ever find an N7000 that uses anything other that the 1.5 mF caps and .6 mH coils?

    Thanks,

    Eric M.
    I don’t understand the question… if the values were different, then it wouldn’t be an N7000. While it is true that JBL has been rather confusing with the labeling of a few drivers during the transition between 16 ohms and 8 ohms, it has been very good about adding -1, -A, -B etc. or changing the model number when products change.


    Widget

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    92
    The question is basically, is there a difference between crossovers labeled "N7000" and those labeled "N7000 16 OHM".

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I don’t understand the question… if the values were different, then it wouldn’t be an N7000. While it is true that JBL has been rather confusing with the labeling of a few drivers during the transition between 16 ohms and 8 ohms, it has been very good about adding -1, -A, -B etc. or changing the model number when products change.


    Widget

  6. #6
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric M. View Post
    The question is basically, is there a difference between crossovers labeled "N7000" and those labeled "N7000 16 OHM".
    Sorry, I guess I missed that. I have never seen a JBL crossover with a model number like that, only the simple N7000, N8000, LX5 etc. I suppose there may be a difference, however the standard N7000 is for crossing over between the 375 and 075/077, all of which are nominally “16 ohms” regardless of the foilcal on the back of the respective driver.


    Widget

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    92
    Here are some pictures that might explain what I'm talking about.
    This started a while back when I had listed a pair of N7000 crossovers. Someone asked if they were 8 or 16 ohm. I commented there was only one kind of N7000 and was told I was wrong. I found one of the N7000 16 OHMS on e-Bay and purchased for myself just to see the difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  8. #8
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,295
    Thanks for sharing this image. Now I see where the confusion is coming from. I don’t think the addition of the 16 ohm label was considered part of model number or product designation. My guess is that it is simply additional info.

    Once again JBL has proven itself particularly good at causing confusion.


    Widget

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Thanks for sharing this image. Now I see where the confusion is coming from. I don’t think the addition of the 16 ohm label was considered part of model number or product designation. My guess is that it is simply additional info.

    Once again JBL has proven itself particularly good at causing confusion.


    Widget
    I think you're right, both the same. That matches up with the parts I found in each - the same.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. JBL LX5 crossover and N7000
    By demenplk in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2017, 01:03 AM
  2. JBL N7000 Crossovers
    By Bill in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2015, 07:46 AM
  3. N7000 rework?
    By Doug in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 11:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •