Thread: Driver polarity, 2430K, 2453SL and older 4", please confirm

Driver polarity, 2430K, 2453SL and older 4", please confirm

Hi,

When doing some measurements my measurement rig shows that the newer JBL drivers do have the same inverted polarity as the old ones, albeit I interpret the document otherwise.

I.e. applying positive voltage to the negative connector (colored Black or marked "minus") will course the diaphragm to move towards the exit of the driver. As with the 4” drivers, “positive on black”.

On the old drivers it is just to remove the back-cap and apply a low DC voltage ( ie a AAA battery) to see how the diaphragms moves. On the newer drivers this is not possible but in the MLS rig I can see if the pulse is inverted or not.

I found that both the 2430K and the 2453 show inverted polarity. Can someone here confirm these findings please.

//Rob
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

After checking the ”exploded views” for the VTX F12/F15 I’m pretty shure the polarity is reversed for the D2 driver.

This means that for all M2 clone builders the positive lead shall be connected to the negative terminal.

Maybe that was self evident to everyone, but I could not track that from the pictures/posts I have seen.
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

My clones use the factory "Crossover" and it comes pre-terminated with the HF cable with push-on connectors that are polarized (.250" and .187") so that one puts them on the right terminal. They are also pre-terminated into the input cup so there is no chance for a mis-wire. I'll need to check if your presumptions are correct or not. I'll admit, I never gave it a second thought.

Remember too, it is possible that the phase difference may be "cooked" into the network of the driver and the time-alignment of the HF to LF components to ensure a time-aligned wave front coming out of the speaker using the factory DSP settings.

I checked today using a genuine D2 for M2 driver and the factory "network" that comes from JBL pre-terminated all of the way to the input cup.

...and the winner is...

For the M2, the HF driver is wired IN-PHASE (+ to + and - to -)

-Steve

Thread Information