I've decided that I would like to try JBL 2360 horns on my Altec Voice of the Theater A7/828 speakers. I've picked up a few basics in these threads: crossover around 700Hz and TAD 4002 is the best HF driver. I'm not against buying a used set of 4002s- just not yet. I see there are some decent looking 2446Js available very affordable and I am on the brink of buying a pair. JBL lists 2446, 2450, and 2485 as the drivers for these horns.

Until I decide to get the TADs, is the 2446J a decent approximate 2nd best for the 2360 horns? Diaphragm changes helping?

Does the TAD 4002 bolt up to the 2360 throat?

My A7/VOTTs have GPA 416-16B Alnico LF drivers, Emilar EH800 horns on Altec 802D HF drivers, 16 Ohm. Original N-500-E Xovers rebuilt with Russian capacitors. They are driven by Bottlehead 8w 300B SET monobloc amps. My A7s seem heavy on the high end- I have the Xover attenuation knobs on max, -6dB. I don't know why this is- would prefer to have a system that does not HF need attenuation. I figure, at minimum, I will have to get Altec or GPA 515B Alnco LF drivers to try to match the SPL of the JBL 2360/2446Js. Also will need to make a new Xover at 700Hz.

I apologize for fact that this topic has been touched upon in various threads- I have been looking thru them for a couple of days and they have become a bit of a blur. I am hoping the accelerate the decision process by asking this question fresh to people who are WAY ahead of me in knowledge on this stuff.

Thanks, Kip......