Thread: M2's in a smallish room?

M2's in a smallish room?

These are my Klipsch Jubilees in my current living room, 12 ft (3m) wide and 24 ft (7m) deep and an 8 ft ceiling (typical of an American house). The Jubilees (with that big K-402 horn) are a constant dispersion horn of about 90 deg x 60 deg. The photo shows how they are a near a corner (and placed along the short wall. The listening spot is about 10 or 11 ft back so the listening angle is about 60 deg and the space behind the listener has the reflections from the rear wall delayed a bit over 20 msec.

So far so good, but for various reasons I am thinking about setting up a M2 system. The M2 has a dispersion of about 120 x 100 deg. My ceiling will be a problem with sound splashing off it but I have become more concerned about sound splashing off the side walls. The current configuration with Jubilees tucked in the corners, does fairly well at minimizing the early reflections from the side walls.

I notice that most folks here have their M2's well away form the corners. Are the early reflections a problem or do most have their setups in fairly large rooms?

Will I regret trying to put the M2's in a smallish room?

Thanks in advance,
    -Tom

Name:  RawStack.JPG
Views: 502
Size:  36.7 KB
    Last edited by withTarragon; 12-18-2019 at 10:33 AM. Reason: error on dispersion

Hello Tom,

I have my M2 mockups pretty close to the side walls (around 30cm).
    I first tried a lot of toe-in (probably around 25°, still nowhere near as pronounced as your corner horns) but the results were not great, probably because of the very early side reflection, and maybe also because of another reflexion on the front wall due to the toe in.
    I then installed DIY 4" absorbing panels on each side around the first refection points and reduced toe in to 10°, and have been a happy camper with this exact setup since then

The trick is to use thick enough panels so that you get a broadband absorption down to 200Hz or so and do not alter the (exemplary) power response too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Hello Tom,

I have my M2 mockups pretty close to the side walls (around 30cm).
    I first tried a lot of toe-in (probably around 25°, still nowhere near as pronounced as your corner horns) but the results were not great, probably because of the very early side reflection, and maybe also because of another reflexion on the front wall due to the toe in.
    I then installed DIY 4" absorbing panels on each side around the first refection points and reduced toe in to 10°, and have been a happy camper with this exact setup since then

The trick is to use thick enough panels so that you get a broadband absorption down to 200Hz or so and do not alter the (exemplary) power response too much.

Hi Pos,do you know any hifi shops and second hand hifi gears stores in Paris?my good friend is now studying in Paris for 3 months,he is also a audiophile,please give me the adresses of these shops in Paris,thank you!

Martin
    46 lover

Getting back on track.......

POS, thanks for your perspective and advice. I do have some room to hide some sound absorption panels behind the drapes.

I have my M2s squished into a small room (9 x 13 foot).

I made a couple of sound panels from 2" thick Owens Corning 703 that I placed on the walls at ear height at the first reflection point. This works well.

I've been tempted to place a panel on the ceiling but have not bothered.

Oh, and to answer your first question; I don't think you will regret placing them into a small room. Once you do some passive room treatment you always have the option of using one of the better DRC software devices/programs to optimize the problematic bass issues if you so desire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am using 120cm x 120cm panels on each side myself (4 120x60 panels in fact)
    The vertical dimensions let them cover the woofer reflection, and the horizontal one does increase the "reflection free" listening area.

Thread Information