Thread: Jbl l80t

Jbl l80t

Hi!

Could somebody familiar with this model confirm my thoughts about the JBL L80T?
    I would like to get the best out of this design.
    I am aware of the T3 variant but I think I would like to maintain the original crossover layout for now.
    I am planning to renew the 17mF midrange cap with a good polyprop / MKP (any brand suggestions not too esoteric/expensive; considering Clarity, Jantzen etc...) and the ones in parallel with woofer and midrange (40 + 14 mF).
    Would you advise changing the 2.2mH inductor for either a big air core with the same DCR or replace with an Iron core with much lower DCR? Or save the additional cost for a new inductor because it is actually not audible?
    Any other recommendation for restoring the speakers (any benefit by cleaning parts in the tweeter, replacing diaphragms after 35 years etc)?

Thanks,
    Marc

Be very careful removing the wires from the tweeter connectors. Any flexing of the terminal can break the diaphragm wire. Don't try to straighten the terminals, either, or you'll get the same result. Ask me how I know!

I've added T3 crossovers to two pair of L80Ts, as well as done Gordon W's modification to lengthen the port and add more insulation mat to the upper section. I still don't really like them and their performance pales in comparison to a stock L96, for reasons I still don't really understand.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks for the advice. Will be very careful.

Made a photo of the crossover. Do they look original? They have Bennic caps (looking like MKT-type), one is 13.5mF instead of the expected 17mF...

Name:  DSCF7517.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  DSCF7519.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  82.4 KB

From my experience, JBL networks in those series varied by year or maybe supplier. You can search in Google images and see different versions.

I have a shot of my original T crossovers next to the T3 around here somewhere. Let me have a look for it.

Found 'em. L80t on left t3 on right

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I still don't really like them and their performance pales in comparison to a stock L96, for reasons I still don't really understand.
    good to hear this finally admitted. didn't like mine either, disappeared fast.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    good to hear this finally admitted. didn't like mine either, disappeared fast.
    Heck, I gave one pair to a friend after refinishing the cabinets, re-surrounding the woofers, replacing the crossovers with the T3s, lengthening the port tube, and stuffing more insulation in the top. He thinks they're wonderful. The other pair were re-coned by JBL before I got them, then I did the same mods to them I did to the others. I just never play them. I'd rather listen to my LSR305s any day. Heck, I'd rather listen to my $60 Pro-III+ system. Even the L3s sound better, and they are the worst of that series. I just don't understand why that is. The components are as close to an L96 or 4310 as you'll get in another JBL and yet . . . no magic.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The components are as close to an L96 or 4310 as you'll get in another JBL and yet . . . no magic.
    that's what I've said ..the L80T has virtually the same components as a 4410 (except xover) ... and yet one is a true studio monitor and the other is ,,,, no magic. (being kind)

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    that's what I've said ..the L80T has virtually the same components as a 4410 (except xover) ... and yet one is a true studio monitor and the other is ,,,, no magic. (being kind)
    Paid fifty-bucks for my first pair, before surrounds and Watco. Found them on local Craig's List while picking up a very rare motorcycle in my truck in North Carolina. The next pair with one new recone from JBL and the other a new complete woofer, I paid $100 for ten-miles from home. At least they won't have cost me anything if I ever sell them. The motorcycle, on the other hand, I paid way too much for . . . and it's easily worth three-times that now, and more the older it gets.

Hmmm... since I will do the crossovers anyway I am willing to try the 4410 schematic on these.

Will report how it sounds...

I could never understand why JBL didn't use the 4410 crossover in this particular speaker, or use the pro crossovers on any of the Lt series for that matter. It makes a poor performing speaker beautiful as it is, into a terrific performer that can hold it's own ever today. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Keep on Listening

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by dub View Post
    Hmmm... since I will do the crossovers anyway I am willing to try the 4410 schematic on these.

Will report how it sounds...
    there is also a difference on box volume , may want to adjust that too.

Thanks for all your advice.

One last thing before I place my order:

My budget is a little low so I will limit myself to the most important components concentrating on the different crossover point from low to mid.

Which inductor value would you choose if i want to lean towards the 4410 characteristic?

The original L80T shows a 2.2mH, 4410 2.8mH and the 4410a 3.3mH (all with a 17mF cap for the mid section which I am going to include in my order). Looks like it should be one of the higher values, but which one?

Marc

Hi Dub,

Unless you want to build your own, why not just buy some off the web. They are almost always available on Ebay, and are made by JBL.

Frohliche Weinachten.

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

one other thing (besides sound) that I missed on the L80T is
    pots/attenuators for "presence & brilliance" to tune to your environment.

Pic of an L80T crossover.

Set I gave to a friend, then refoamed, but he smoked one of the 127H-1. The spiders are well worn and one had a small tear in it. I put the driver in a set of 4410A and put the coals to it and it jumped the gap and ripped the spider off the VC former. They were significantly more compliant than the 4410A 127H-1 set.

Name:  20191226_195358.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  20191226_155756 (Large).jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  72.1 KB

Thread Information