Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amp Recommendation For 2245H Subs

Hi svollmer,

RE "... not having to replace my amp."

You don't replace a good amp for a hum problem. Never (unless you're really at the end of the rope).

Give yourself a nice gift for X-Mas and download a copy of Rane's "Sound system Interconnection", Rane note # 110, last updated 2015, from their technical library. (rane.com, then click Contractors, click Resources at top, choose FAQ & Support, from the Support Options click the second one i.e. link to "Knowledge base". Sorry if its long but Rane has changed over the years, though kept some of their good stuff).

Now you're in the land of those who know and have been at the forefront of settling most of those silly interconnection problems, such as hum. Have not posted directly the info since its copyrighted and I tend to respect that.

Scroll down slowly the Knowledge Base list and stop at the following: Pin 1 Revisited, open it, at bottom of text PDF available; Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices, do same as preceeding; Sound System Interconnection, this is the best and most practical one ever published, open doc and save as PDF at bottom of text. There's one or two others I have but you may not need them.

Keep a copy of Sound System Interconnection under your pillow, on the kitchen table, next to the Johns, wherever, and with all the proper connection schemes clearly illustrated, then former connection nightmares may well suddenly become nice dreams... Merry X-Mas! Regards,

Richard

Merry Christmas!!!

I finally got the opportunity to install the balanced 1/4" TRS plugs on the amp end and the XLRs on the preamp end of the cables and (drum roll please!), NO HUM!!!! There's a very small "SHHHHHH" sound when close to the woofers, but no buzz or hum. So, my wife and I are thrilled and listened to a bunch of songs last night. Thanks so much to all for the advice and help.

Now for some fun: when searching around on 2245H speakers, I ran across this post from Steve Guttenberg about a PBN Audio speaker that has 2 JBL 12" mids and 2 JBL 2245H woofers. REAL expensive, but pretty cool. I wonder where they source new 2245H woofers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZCLL1WsDpQ

Here it is at the PBN site: https://pbnaudio.com/mr-777at/

Check out the pictures on the bottom. If two speakers with 2 x 2245s isn't enough for you, PBN builds subwoofer columns with four 2245's!

Steve

I love the comments from people who say they'd never buy $85,000 speakers with paper cones!

I'd probably never buy a $1,000,000 car with rubber tires, either. But that has nothing to do the the material used.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I wonder where they source new 2245H woofers?
    Thanks for sharing those links.

I suppose that maybe JBL will run a batch of whatever ( models ) as long as their minimum order is met.

I certainly don't like the reddish/purplish tone of the cones ( I'd be looking to dye them back in no time ).

It's great to see such a simplistic design concept can garner such praise ( that's my biggest take-away ).

I also love the fact that the large WMTMW concept works for those listening ( though there are endless numbers of people who can point out the reasons it won't or shouldn't > along the lines of why bumblebees can't fly ).

BTW;

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Thanks for sharing those links.

I suppose that maybe JBL will run a batch of whatever ( models ) as long as their minimum order is met.

I certainly don't like the reddish/purplish tone of the cones ( I'd be looking to dye them back in no time ).
    Yes, thanks for sharing the links, and great news in eliminating your ground loop!

I doubt today’s JBL will agree to do a run of drivers with only 10s of thousands of dollars profit in it. They seem to be focused on larger markets and/or branding projects.

Regarding the purple cones, doesn’t it seem likely they are using JBL frames with aftermarket kits?

...and yes, Happy Holidays!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Yes, thanks for sharing the links, and great news in eliminating your ground loop!

I doubt today’s JBL will agree to do a run of drivers with only 10s of thousands of dollars profit in it. They seem to be focused on larger markets and/or branding projects.

Regarding the purple cones, doesn’t it seem likely they are using JBL frames with aftermarket kits? Widget
    I suppose that would make more sense.

On the other hand, all the pics that I can find of aftermarket kits show regular charcoal colored cones ( maybe those are just old pics and the purple color we are seeing is what's current ?? ).

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information