Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New guy here. Want a punchy bookshelf or tower. Which one?

L166's for $500 ? Wish that was the case around here. More like $800 if you want a pair without the tweeters pushed in. L150's,240ti's would be a good choice depending if you prefer passive or ported.

I cannot believe the ripoff price of the new JBL 100 T3. Are you kidding me?
    Who runs this modern bogus JBL company. They should be sued for false advertising and fake quality and for price gouging.
    I just can't stand these modern BS prices using the past speakers to gouge modern consumers and some of you falling for this trash koolaid made in China modern JBL components garbage.

I HAD a pair of older Maggies .. nice highs & mids, but NO bass. Maybe the newer ones are better ?

couldn't run them w/o a sub , and that still left a hole in the upper bass.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Who runs this modern bogus JBL company. They should be sued for false advertising and fake quality and for price gouging.
    I just can't stand these modern BS prices using the past speakers to gouge modern consumers and some of you falling for this trash koolaid made in China modern JBL components garbage.
    is this post for real or like SNL?
    anyway, they're not T3s
    the new designation is L100 Classic
    https://www.jblsynthesis.com/product...0+CLASSIC.html

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Foget L100,they don't rock at all
    then you're doing something wrong Martin, really wrong

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Rage much?

Sheesh, dude needs to chill TFO.

Besides, you're factually incorrect about the model.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chavez View Post
    is this post for real or like SNL?
    anyway, they're not T3s
    the new designation is L100 Classic
    https://www.jblsynthesis.com/product...0+CLASSIC.html

If you have something to say to me regarding my post above, please post it in public instead of sending me a PM.

I have owned various L series through the 80s/90s and have loved them all. They definitely have the punch you want...especially the L80T/T3 or L100T/T3...but depending on the partnering equipment may get a bit fatiguing at higher volumes. The L5/L7 are better again. The Ti series ie 120/240/250Ti takes refinement to another level ie flat and neutral but can sound punchy with the right music and amplification. Theres of course the XPL series and European Ti series which are great as well. Room positioning also goes a long way to getting the sound you want.
    Currently own and use JBL 250Ti,250Ti Classic,18Ti,L100T and L20T

Quote Originally Posted by 45shooter View Post
    Havent ruled out anything yet. Would these be a wiser choice than the vintage L100 T3?

Seems the newer technology wouldn't require any fiddling about with....foams etc

Appreciate the opinions of the longtime members!!!
    the L100 T3 is one of the best bargains out there. A Mcintosh would be a match made in heaven. Street price $500 - 700.

it’s been a while but the L80T (3) if find is quite the sleeper

I found a pair of rotted out L80T for $160. The cabinets are in great shape. After RBH Sound repaired the woofers for me, they are a tremendous little speaker. That 10” gives a really great weight to low frequencies. I own many other similar JBL (L5,3,1,L100T). This pair really sound great with my aging Pioneer VSX-59TXI.

I second (or third) the mention of XPL200 or 200A's. Over the past four or five months I've been trying to get my hands on some vintage-ish speakers to try out. I've purchased and sold Klipsch Forte I and Forte II's but have held onto Klipsch Cornwalls, JBL L150A's and my JBL XPL200's. I cannot say anything bad about the XPL200's. Extremely smooth & detailed along with tight & punchy bass. They don't dig as deep as the L150A's but I've found I don't need that depth with my music and that depth brought on a lack of detail in other regions of the bass. The L150A's are punchy in their own way, but that punch is akin to hitting a nail with a 2lb hammer vs a 5lb hammer- the L150A's are weaker by comparison. I'm so enamored with my XPL200's that I plan on biamping them with an electronic crossover. Haven't pulled the trigger on amps or a preamp yet but already have an Ashly XR1000. They are the best speaker I've heard so far and I didn't have to spend a fortune to obtain them. To do better, I'm sure I would.

Cornwalls are pretty damn good once you get the Crites B-2 crossovers in or ALK crossovers. I went with Crites as they're cheaper and I use them in the garage..

Forte II's > Forte I's by a vast margin. If you have nothing to compare a set of Forte I's to, you'd think they were pretty good, their bass is a bit bloated and slightly punchier than a Forte II's but I found once I got the placement of the II's right, the bass was great- tight but a little too exaggerated in the upper registers. A little more mass on the passive might fix that. However, the mids of the Forte II blow the Forte I away. The Forte I's are honky and sound a bit tinny by comparison. They both have the same tweeter so the highs are virtually identical- smooth. But that's what I didn't like about them, just too smooth and so the fine detail was a bit lacking. I'd still rate the Forte II > Cornwall. Other thing is, if you run a Forte II, be sure your amp is 4 ohm stable. They're rated as 8 ohm systems but they shut down every amp I have except for the Yamaha I've got with a 4 ohm switch/mode.

Thread Information