Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy here. Want a punchy bookshelf or tower. Which one?

Very interesting thread
    Which one is the most punchy bookshelf or tower speaker JBL ever made?
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Very interesting thread
    Which one is the most punchy bookshelf or tower speaker JBL ever made?

Not that many JBL towers, at least not that many that are memorable. Bookshelf is a misnomer for most JBLs and I don't know of a normal bookshelf that I would expect to support my L112s or 4412As.

The 250ti and the rest of that series has good punch but then JBL offered a sub to enhance it, so some must not have been happy with the performance without it.

My family asked me not to play the L7s in the upstairs room when they were home because the bass carried throughout the house. I used the L5s with no complaints. Haven't listened to my L7s in a while but I remember how it felt when I first heard them! But that was in comparison to my 030s. And I probably didn't give them all the power they really needed.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    :Haven't listened to my L7s in a while but I remember how it felt when I first heard them! But that was in comparison to my 030s. And I probably didn't give them all the power they really needed.
    I had L7's and agree with Pill about the sound. They are heavy and I could never get past their fugly looks.
    The one JBL that I've sold and regretted was 2 pairs of L-166 Horizons .... very punchy, memorable looks .... sound like an improved L-100. They are generally under $500 and even if they may take a little work, are surely worth it.
    IF you want a fine & good looking 3 way-12inch bookshelf .... the real sleeper is the 120Ti.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Cheap and punchy ? The JBL 940 from the late 80s
    Moderate and punchy? The XPL200 from the early 90's
    Expensive and punchy ? The Array 1400 from the mid 2000's

jblnut

Find yourself a pair of 4313B, these are really something if found cheap!

Seems like alotta votes for the 4400/43 series. Which Ive always wanted

Theres a pair of 4430s on ebay now near me for 3k....ugh and there not even consecutive serial numbers either. probly just a reseller for profit.

Any love for the newer monitor series of LSR??

LSR's are great. Many of us have them on our desks as computer speakers now (I have LSR305s). If I can ever find a good pair of LSR6328p's that haven't been used as jack stands, I will pull the trigger.

The larger 12" 3-ways are very good if you want something larger.

It sounds like you need to go listen to some speakers...

jblnut

Yes Sir, listening to some speakers is my crunch as theres not many around to listen to.....

Trying to formulate a short list to go out and demo somewhere somehow and then scoop them up when they show themselves.....

I appreciate all the great ideas tho!

alright gents. Ive gone to the dark side. I just picked up a pair of magnepan 3.6r in pristine cond from the orig owner for a fair price. Not quite the jbl sound I was after but different than my khorns just the same.

Down the road ill be looking to change things up I'm sure but for the moment the audio component budget is blown.

So you bought a pair of doors... quite a far cry from a bookshelf.

Good speakers though. Very different from your Khorns!

Widget

"Punchy". . . hmm. Guess I need to get some new dictionaries.

But . . . I understand. A bargain has led me down a lane more than once.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

I am curious about "Punchy". what exactly does it mean? Lots of midbass? quick transients?
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Somewhere someone said patience is a virtue...….a virtue I don't have.

It seems finding these great JBL's is a full time passion

Down the road Ill get a pair, but for now my new set of doors will have to suffice

Quote Originally Posted by 45shooter View Post
    alright gents. Ive gone to the dark side. I just picked up a pair of magnepan 3.6r in pristine cond from the orig owner for a fair price. Not quite the jbl sound I was after but different than my khorns just the same.

Down the road ill be looking to change things up I'm sure but for the moment the audio component budget is blown.
    Good on you! Fun choice, and I'm sure you'll love them, until you don't. I held off on posting on your thread, as much of JBL is traditionally like much of Klipsch, so I'm not sure what you'd gain, except a little different flavor. Your Klipschorn's are super punchy, really efficient, and a little shrieky in the highs - descriptions that fit vintage JBL's as well. If you really decide to try a JBL, but want something really different than what you have, try any of the modern Horn loaded, higher end stuff - Array series, S4700, etc. They really turn "Horn" sound on its head, as they are coherent, image well, and aren't very efficient. I would also keep your eyes out for the European Ti series - Ti2k, Ti6k, Ti8k, Ti10k, as I think they have the best direct radiating tweeter JBL ever used (made by Audax), and also image really well. Lastly, while not JBL, you should own a pair of Sonus Faber speakers at one time in your life - I have a pair of Auditor M's and they are probably the best imaging and smoothest sounding speakers I have. Good luck, and have fun. I've always wanted to have a pair of vintage Apogee's, though, like Maggies, they're very room and placement sensitive, so I know it will be hard to get the best out of them. Still want them, though...
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by 45shooter View Post

We've owned a couple pairs of older magnepans - My wife says its like swimming in music.

They can be power hungry to get the most out of them - Bryston amps are a good match.
    Have fun!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information