Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy here. Want a punchy bookshelf or tower. Which one?

New guy here. Want a punchy bookshelf or tower. Which one?

My 2 channel system now consists of Mcintosh SS amp and pre driving my beloved Klipschorns. I love these speakers and believe they disappear in my room.

Several years ago I demoed some 4430's but the surrounds fell apart during the demo which negated the purchase. I did love the way they sounded tho.

So now I'd just like a 2nd set of speakers and have been recommended the L100 T3 by a audiophile guru. He also recommended some Alons/Nolas tbh.

Ive researched the newer 4367's but alas have a cashflow shortage for them.
    The 4429's seem to be avail around but have read mixed reviews on them.

So it seems the L100 T3 may be the one for me but they seem to be quite elusive so far.

What can you guys recommend for a punchy rock speaker just to change things up from my klipschorn sound? Mostly rock music, steely dan, dead, Floyd, stones etc.......Thx!

Welcome to Lansing Heritage. Have you considered the new L100 Classic?

Widget

Havent ruled out anything yet. Would these be a wiser choice than the vintage L100 T3?

Seems the newer technology wouldn't require any fiddling about with....foams etc

Appreciate the opinions of the longtime members!!!

I’m not familiar with that particular vintage JBL, but lots of folks here have experience with it. Maybe one will chime in. Another current speaker to consider would be the new Heresy.

Widget

You haven't mentioned a budget but, depending on how much power you have, the L7 may give you all the punch you can handle at a price you won't believe!

Of course I've never had the chance to hear the new L100 Classic (are there any JBL dealers left?), but an L100 pair will set you back $4,000 and the L7 maybe one-tenth of that.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Im driving the system with the Mcintosh MC152 which I believe is rated at 150 WPC minimum but I understand that it puts out closer to 200.

As far as budget Id rather spend less than more.

I think 4-5k would be tip top for me to comfortably spend on a new speaker setup

I don’t know if this helps you or not, but to me the L-100s are not in the same league as the 100 T3s. The L7s are good speakers under the radar,

L-300s would be a consideration for your budget also.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    I don’t know if this helps you or not, but to me the L-100s are not in the same league as the 100 T3s. The L7s are good speakers under the radar,
    FWIW:
    I don't believe anyone was suggesting the original L100 Century from the '70s, but instead the new L100 Classic just recently introduced.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I took the advice as the brand new L100's. But as I climb into the $4K range there are so many speakers to compare to.

and then if I go higher theres the used market of wilsons, focals and golden ear reference towers.....

ugh still confused

but am open to suggestions from this gang of audiophiles!

Quote Originally Posted by 45shooter View Post
    I took the advice as the brand new L100's. But as I climb into the $4K range there are so many speakers to compare to.

and then if I go higher theres the used market of wilsons, focals and golden ear reference towers.....
    I had read all the praise for the Golden Ear Tritons so one day I ventured into a local shop that actually had them on display (there are no JBL dealers anywhere near me). I believe what I auditioned were the Triton 1s, I do remember a bunch of oval drivers and was told this was top-of-the-line at the time. I wanted to be impressed and this was a controlled listening environment so I'm not sure on what I can blame my disappointment—or rather my lack of excitement—during the audition. They just didn't seem to do anything well and were simply unimpressive. I told the shop owner that they sounded nice and he pressed me as to what I listened to at home. As soon as I said "I have a few JBL systems" he seemed to write me off as a bottom feeder from a big-box store. He never asked me what JBLs I had, nor would he likely have understood had I said "4345". And maybe it's the overwhelming presence that is created by a good 4-way JBL that has just spoiled me for speakers tipping into and beyond the $3,000 price range.

From what others here have said, if I were you and looking in that price range of speakers and had no interest in vintage systems, I'd lean toward the newer JBLs and the Revel Salon 2s. My local dealer only carries the Performa series. Maybe I'll go have a listen.

Greetings 45 from the left coast,

You haven't said what kind of music you mostly listen to, or how loud you like to play it. That is an important consideration. Listening is a very personal thing. You have stated that you have K-horns, and that you like them very much. It would be easy to assume that you prefer the Altec-JBL-Klipsch sound as must of us here do. I would recommend that you consider the 4400 series. They are very neutral. I own 4408's and 4410's and like them very much. I should note here that I am a classical music listener. The 4400 series have a weakness in the tweeter though: the dome is damped by a foam pad which WILL go bad and have to be replaced. Maybe the newer L-7 has that problem fixed. The LSR32, and LSR6332 Studio monitors might be a consideration. They are outstanding. Get them now before they are discovered. The problem of the LSR is the aesthetics, and the very low WAF. they don't work in a scandinavian living room. You might consider the Klipsch Forte?

I might follow up on something BMWACC mentioned. If you do go to an audio salon and audition (one doesn't just listen you know) some of the high priced junque there mention that you have JBL's you will probably get treated to "What? JBL's? and I thought you were a man of class and taste. The door's over there''.

As stated. listening is personal You have to like it.

Have Fun

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Thx to all who replied so far...

I like rock music, clean and fairly loud....

lotta good responses so far

Thx to all who replied so far...

I like rock music, clean and fairly loud....

lotta good responses so far
    As do I. I'm a laymen compared to the regulars here but I've got a pair of LX44's that I really enjoy. Now, those are certainly far less spendy than other options suggested but for what I paid and their size, they're a damn fine speaker. They're responsible for my downward slope into rekindling my love affair with music and gear. Long story short of it is that I feel they're almost as good as L150A's and better than Klipsch Cornwalls I recently picked up. Now, they tend to exaggerate midbass but with a decent equalizer and a subwoofer to cover the lows, you won't be disappointed. What makes those things shine to me is their ability to sound great at any volume and reproduce nuances & detail that in turn make the music sound life-like, as if the band is performing right in front of you. At lower volumes, that detail is even better. They're very easy on the ears at higher volumes too.

My 2 channel system now consists of Mcintosh SS amp and pre driving my beloved Klipschorns. I love these speakers and believe they disappear in my room.

Several years ago I demoed some 4430's but the surrounds fell apart during the demo which negated the purchase. I did love the way they sounded tho.

So now I'd just like a 2nd set of speakers and have been recommended the L100 T3 by a audiophile guru. He also recommended some Alons/Nolas tbh.

Ive researched the newer 4367's but alas have a cashflow shortage for them.
    The 4429's seem to be avail around but have read mixed reviews on them.

So it seems the L100 T3 may be the one for me but they seem to be quite elusive so far.

What can you guys recommend for a punchy rock speaker just to change things up from my klipschorn sound? Mostly rock music, steely dan, dead, Floyd, stones etc.......Thx!
    Foget L100,they don't rock at all,and i think new JBL such as 4365/4367 don't rock neither,go to find some JBL vintage black cone speakers,such as 4425,4430,4344,array 1400........
    46 lover

Thread Information