Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy here. Want a punchy bookshelf or tower. Which one?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New guy here. Want a punchy bookshelf or tower. Which one?

My 2 channel system now consists of Mcintosh SS amp and pre driving my beloved Klipschorns. I love these speakers and believe they disappear in my room.

Several years ago I demoed some 4430's but the surrounds fell apart during the demo which negated the purchase. I did love the way they sounded tho.

So now I'd just like a 2nd set of speakers and have been recommended the L100 T3 by a audiophile guru. He also recommended some Alons/Nolas tbh.

Ive researched the newer 4367's but alas have a cashflow shortage for them.
    The 4429's seem to be avail around but have read mixed reviews on them.

So it seems the L100 T3 may be the one for me but they seem to be quite elusive so far.

What can you guys recommend for a punchy rock speaker just to change things up from my klipschorn sound? Mostly rock music, steely dan, dead, Floyd, stones etc.......Thx!

Welcome to Lansing Heritage. Have you considered the new L100 Classic?

Widget

I cannot believe the ripoff price of the new JBL 100 T3. Are you kidding me?
    Who runs this modern bogus JBL company. They should be sued for false advertising and fake quality and for price gouging.
    I just can't stand these modern BS prices using the past speakers to gouge modern consumers and some of you falling for this trash koolaid made in China modern JBL components garbage.

I HAD a pair of older Maggies .. nice highs & mids, but NO bass. Maybe the newer ones are better ?

couldn't run them w/o a sub , and that still left a hole in the upper bass.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Who runs this modern bogus JBL company. They should be sued for false advertising and fake quality and for price gouging.
    I just can't stand these modern BS prices using the past speakers to gouge modern consumers and some of you falling for this trash koolaid made in China modern JBL components garbage.
    is this post for real or like SNL?
    anyway, they're not T3s
    the new designation is L100 Classic
    https://www.jblsynthesis.com/product...0+CLASSIC.html

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chavez View Post
    is this post for real or like SNL?
    anyway, they're not T3s
    the new designation is L100 Classic
    https://www.jblsynthesis.com/product...0+CLASSIC.html

If you have something to say to me regarding my post above, please post it in public instead of sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Rage much?

Sheesh, dude needs to chill TFO.

Besides, you're factually incorrect about the model.

Havent ruled out anything yet. Would these be a wiser choice than the vintage L100 T3?

Seems the newer technology wouldn't require any fiddling about with....foams etc

Appreciate the opinions of the longtime members!!!

I’m not familiar with that particular vintage JBL, but lots of folks here have experience with it. Maybe one will chime in. Another current speaker to consider would be the new Heresy.

Widget

You haven't mentioned a budget but, depending on how much power you have, the L7 may give you all the punch you can handle at a price you won't believe!

Of course I've never had the chance to hear the new L100 Classic (are there any JBL dealers left?), but an L100 pair will set you back $4,000 and the L7 maybe one-tenth of that.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by 45shooter View Post
    Havent ruled out anything yet. Would these be a wiser choice than the vintage L100 T3?

Seems the newer technology wouldn't require any fiddling about with....foams etc

Appreciate the opinions of the longtime members!!!
    the L100 T3 is one of the best bargains out there. A Mcintosh would be a match made in heaven. Street price $500 - 700.

Im driving the system with the Mcintosh MC152 which I believe is rated at 150 WPC minimum but I understand that it puts out closer to 200.

As far as budget Id rather spend less than more.

I think 4-5k would be tip top for me to comfortably spend on a new speaker setup

I don’t know if this helps you or not, but to me the L-100s are not in the same league as the 100 T3s. The L7s are good speakers under the radar,

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    I don’t know if this helps you or not, but to me the L-100s are not in the same league as the 100 T3s. The L7s are good speakers under the radar,
    FWIW:
    I don't believe anyone was suggesting the original L100 Century from the '70s, but instead the new L100 Classic just recently introduced.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

alright gents. Ive gone to the dark side. I just picked up a pair of magnepan 3.6r in pristine cond from the orig owner for a fair price. Not quite the jbl sound I was after but different than my khorns just the same.

Down the road ill be looking to change things up I'm sure but for the moment the audio component budget is blown.

Thread Information