Thread: N220 crossover - how to check for faulty components?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question N220 crossover - how to check for faulty components?

Got my L220 home, they come off a single owner who didn't use them since long, I already ordered the foam for the passive radiators, now I need to figure why sound out one of the two speakers is noticeably lower so I would take the crossover out and test what I can with my simple digital multimeter, what should I check and how?

Grazie

Hi Giovanni,

There's not a whole lot you can measure with a simple multimeter here, probably just resistance. Its unlikely to have capacitance and inductance measurement capability.

RE "figure why sound out one of the two speakers is noticeably lower"

First you can check SYSTEM dc resistance at the input terminals of each cabinet, this would tell you if both speakers are the same DCR value. This might give a clue.

Then I would try to measure the DC resistance of each driver in each box just to see if there are DCR discrepancies among identical drivers from the two boxes. This may also give a clue if one is defective.

Finally, you can do continuity tests at various places on the crossover and check resistor values. That's about it, but it could still show something is wrong. Regards,

Richard

Hello everybody,

my L220 are back to work, I replaced the foam on the passive radiators and they took place of my 4311b, still one of them is slightly less loud than the other, I think it's now time to start and work on networks and as such I think I want to replace the capacitors in first instance but still don't know which type should I look for but that's something I will ask onto an Italian forum so that I can eventually also find sources here in the EU, unfortunately buying off the US, even for small amounts, takes a lot of time to clear the customs not to mention the extra taxes...

One doubt, there is a capacitor which is not marked on the N220 schematic diagram, I found somewhere its value being 3mF, is that all I need to get the spare one and can anybody please confirm this?

Grazie

Giovanni

Thread Information