Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Love JBL! New baby´s 4333, 4344

What went wrong?

I just need to share this.
    1. Test after finishing the wires, and I don’t know what went wrong.
    I’m absolutely amazed by the sound!!!
    Thanks for help from members. It wouldn’t be possible without you!

Name:  225A7F33-282E-496C-9A20-FCFFE1F8F94D.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  71.9 KB

Hallo Laszlo
    Can You give some Infos about the crossovers.
    Thanks

Hi.
    I’m very sorry but i’ve got them made so the only thing I did was, connect the drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by speakermaker View Post
    Hallo Laszlo
    Can You give some Infos about the crossovers.
    Thanks

Really fabulous work Laszlo.
    May i enquire what woofer u have in the 4333?
    I am trying to put together a pair of L300/4333.
    I have the 2235H s. Its not the original woofer for these models but is recommended as best replacement.
    I am wondering what are the ideal cabinet and port dimensions to get the best out of them.
    btw I am using the Nelson Pass version of the XO.

Hello highcut,

I have some suggestions for you with the 2235. Don't have time right now but will be back later tonight. Gotta go for now...

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Hello highcut,

I have some suggestions for you with the 2235. Don't have time right now but will be back later tonight. Gotta go for now...

Richard
    Looking forward to that Richard.

Currently the 2235H s sit in the cabs i got made a few yrs ago sort of following the dimensions and port of the 4333.
    They are reasonably well made although probably not that well damped.
    Here s my thread about how this came about
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...binet-for-L200

but i ve moved on from there. Have H92 horns for the LE85, 077 s , 2235H s
    The drive is kinda unique, its semi active
    700 Hz EXO amp to 2235Hs , amp, passive XO( top part of Nelson Pass's) feeding just the LE85s and 077s
    I ve just got things wired up and sounds pretty good
    I d like to explore new cabs again.

Hello and thanks.
    For the pair in the pictures I used 2235H and the driver works very well with the Nelson Pass filter!
    In the next two pairs I wanna try out the D130F and also a pair of LE15H. Same filter and same cabinet volume.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by highcut28 View Post
    Really fabulous work Laszlo.
    May i enquire what woofer u have in the 4333?
    I am trying to put together a pair of L300/4333.
    I have the 2235H s. Its not the original woofer for these models but is recommended as best replacement.
    I am wondering what are the ideal cabinet and port dimensions to get the best out of them.
    btw I am using the Nelson Pass version of the XO.

Hello highcut,

Sorry to make you wait but i'm busy. From your original post i'm replying here to two issues mentioned: cabinet and port dimensions.

Note the info given below is from various JBL documents i have, not from me nor my software modelings.

The typical enclosure JBL has suggested for the 2235H is 5 cu.ft. net with tuning frequency at 30 hz. This has been consistent in the JBL tables on-hand (i know in the B380 cabinet it was used in a 4.5 cu.ft. box with Fb 26hz or so, but that's a subwoofer, also intended to be used with the BX 63).

Based on Y2K or so JBL vent standards, the minimum acceptable vent size for a 15" driver is one-third woofer diameter, so a 5" dia. tube in the present case. To resonate the box at 30hz here's a few options:

1 X 5" = 19.6 sq. in., Lv 8"
    2 X 4" = 25.1 sq. in., Lv 11" ( note these two vents are equivalent to a 5.7" vent)
    1 X 6" = 28.3 sq. in., Lv 12.4"

Note also i've indicated each vent area so that you can see the vent area gain is larger from first to second one than from second to third one. Plus the second option at 5.7" is quite close to the third option at 6". For practical vent placement reasons i suggest using the second option because its easier to deal with twin 4" than a 6" one on a baffle panel for example where space might be limited.

Btw one 4 1/8" port as used on the B380 is not a great idea for a LF driver this size and capability. I'm 95% confident that if i modeled that vent in software at the power levels mentioned in JBL's 1983 article (600 W program material) it would show important vent issues in relation to its ability to pass successfully the amount of air required...

With regards to cabinet dimensions, as an example, JBL gives the following INSIDE dimensions for use of 2235H: 25.3" H X 20.7" W X 17.9" D. However these numbers add up to 5.43 cu.ft. instead of 5 cu.ft. As i recall the 4333 you refer to has a 5.5 cu.ft. cabinet so a little larger than 5 cu.ft. for 2235.

You will need to tweak the cab dimensions somewhat. As a starting point i use dimensions giving the target NET volume, then add to this number the volume of items going in the box: woofer, other drivers, bracing, vent, etc. in order to get a gross volume from which one calculates the panel sizes required. Example a 15" woofer takes 0.2 cu.ft. of space in the box (volume displacement). Hopefully the above will help you. Regards,

Richard

Wonderful!
    I Like a lot the 4355 with Grey finish!

Which one you like most? 4333,4344,4355 ?

Thank you very much Laszlo and Richard

Laszlo - its reassuring that you are getting a good result with the 2235H s in those lovely cabs and using Mr Pass's XO at that.

Richard - that was worth waiting for . Plenty there to chew on. I dont quite have Laszlo s skill but I can get help.
    For the moment I am enjoying fine tuning my '4333s'
    The semi active drive is fiddly but fun. These speakers are leagues ahead of the L200 s which imho were probably JBL's worst effort. Only the LE85 s survive from dad s old speakers !
    It will be a while before I embark on new cabs. Will post in my original thread.

Cheers
    Shahrin

Thanks!
    The 4344 isn’t in the game yet. I have som issues with the filter since I use mkII parts. (Filter is for 4344).
    So I can only speak for the 4355 and 4333.
    4355 is still my favourite (monster) but I need to say, the 4333 horns are unique and sounds so great!

Quote Originally Posted by berga12 View Post
    Wonderful!
    I Like a lot the 4355 with Grey finish!

Which one you like most? 4333,4344,4355 ?

Thread Information