Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice sought re: buying a pair of 4435s locally

Advice sought re: buying a pair of 4435s locally

Hi all - new to the JBL game and kind of head over heels in love with the sound right now (as I listen to Brandi Carlisle on my L100s). So, a pair of 4435s has popped up locally and I went to look at them today.

Asking price: $2800

Cabinets: good condition - no dings, or water damage. Very solid.

Drivers: All large woofers re-foamed and one of the big woofers has been re-coned as well (they look pretty good). I've found an old for sale ad for these and it states that the diaphragm in the horns were re-done as well.

Missing: grills and both binding post plates in the back (which have a crossover built into them??)

Comes with the external crossover with the correct cards for 4435 operation.

Clearly I'm smitten - who wouldn't be? To behold the beasts in person was pretty great to begin with. While I could go crazy and just buy them, I want to be somewhat smart about it.

What would the possibility of finding those rear plates, intact, to install? Are they necessary if I'm using the external crossover?

AND, lets talk value. They can't really be played as they are, so testing them is probably out of the question. Is $1500 an absurd offer in this condition? I know it's pretty subjective and the non-playable factor is a big problem.

Talk me out of it! Or into it!

The guy offered to have me to his house to hear his mint pair that he plays all the time. He's a great guy and someone I'd like to make a good deal with.

thanks in advance for any and all advice!

chris

There are a number of Forum Members with significant experience with 4435s and several 4435 experts here. Unfortunately, I am not one of them.

Regarding the terminal board, looking at the JBL tech sheet for this speaker, it appears that the entire crossover may be attached to the terminal boards. If that is the case and they are missing, then these speakers are not going to be easy to setup. Even if you bi-amp them, the high frequency horn requires a very specific compensation circuit that is best handled with the passive network unless you are a real expert.

Definitely seek additional advice and guidance before moving forward with this purchase. With a bit of luck and patience, others will chime in with more info than I can provide.

Tech sheet: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Stu...ies/4435LR.pdf

Widget

Of course you could clone the xover networks using standard, or modified standard components. Been there, done that when building my 4430 networks.

Good luck and best regards!

Thanks for the replies - regarding the terminal boards missing...

The sale includes a dedicated external JBL 5235 crossover, ostensibly to replace the missing crossovers. That said, I don't know if that can be directly hooked up to the speakers? I really have no idea how that works. And the L-Pads appear to be intact, though, they seem to not be part of the crossover network.

I'm starting to feel like these speakers are going to be costly to get playing properly.

Thanks for the replies so far and any further info on how to move forward would be greatly appreciated.

Me building a new crossover is something I've never done before, but I'm not completely against doing it.

The JBL 5235 active crossover is not a direct replacement for the internal passive network that carefully contours the output of the HF horn. The 5235 active crossover may have a contour that approximates the curve of the internal network, but it will not give you the ability to dial it in in the same manner as the mid and high frequency controls of the passive network.

I‘d move forward with caution.

Widget

Thanks Mr. Widget

This is exactly what I was suspecting - I do not want to futz with the original design, vis-a-vis making a new crossover or modifying to use the external crossover. I would be the third owner with this option - the previous two deciding not to pursue this option. I'm going to join them in not even trying, sadly. While the asking price is commensurate with this issue, given the value of the drivers collectively, I don't need giant cabinets sitting around indefinitely, making no sweet sounds.

Thanks for your input - helped a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The JBL 5235 active crossover is not a direct replacement for the internal passive network that carefully contours the output of the HF horn. The 5235 active crossover may have a contour that approximates the curve of the internal network, but it will not give you the ability to dial it in in the same manner as the mid and high frequency controls of the passive network.

I‘d move forward with caution.

Widget

If they were offered in Germany, I'd haul them .

Best regards!

I wish you were my neighbor...

I'd haul them to your house too! And have you make them sing for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    If they were offered in Germany, I'd haul them .

Best regards!

I have a pair of these and I like them quite a bit.

About a year ago the networks were still in stock in spare parts at JBL. They no longer show up as good part number but a call to pro service direct might be worth a shot.

In any event the schematics are available to build them.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post

In any event the schematics are available to build them.

Barry.
    Yes, for sure. That's why I decided to clone the 3134 networks for my 4430 builds (which still are far from being finished…).

But there's some risk, to be honest: JBL didn't state the inductors' Rdc values. The Rdc of the LPF inductor has an impact on the woofer's Qts, so the vents might need to be tweaked somewhat.

Best regards!

Refoamed/reconed woofers, cockeyed x-overs, and re-diaphraghmed horns + unable to test...

ever heard of Caveat Emptor?

40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Indeed I have:

And you're inherently correct in your assessment of the situation. But, this is not a rational pursuit for me. I love the chase and the (mis)adventure and the taking chances on things. 4435s are not exactly a dime a dozen. The seller is being totally transparent and seems like a really good guy who loves audio gear.

But I'll reiterate: you are right, sonofagun. You are 100% correct in your assessment. And yet I want...

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    Refoamed/reconed woofers, cockeyed x-overs, and re-diaphraghmed horns + unable to test...

ever heard of Caveat Emptor?

Well, well..there is a sucker born every minute and please allow me to introduce myself I am a man of dwindling wealth and taste as the new owner of the 4435's which I believe you are referring to. If this hobby were rational, well a lot of hi end companies would be out of business and we all would a lot more time on our hands. With that being said, please check my new thread from today and if anybody can provide some guidance I would be forever indebted to them. The chase has been long for these but I hope the misadventures will be short.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?42037-New-Member-Advice-on-4435-Crossover-Biamp-Setup-with-5235-crossover&p=426349#post426349

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    And you're inherently correct in your assessment of the situation. But, this is not a rational pursuit for me. I love the chase and the (mis)adventure and the taking chances on things. 4435s are not exactly a dime a dozen. The seller is being totally transparent and seems like a really good guy who loves audio gear.

But I'll reiterate: you are right, sonofagun. You are 100% correct in your assessment. And yet I want...

Congratulations!

You have purchased an opportunity to learn and build a monstrously cool pair of speakers. In my research prior to not buying them, I found a guy on eBay who offered to build a crossover based on the JBL Pro site schematic, for I believe $800 (for the pair), with a terminal board that looks similar to what came stock. I also talked a very nice guy in Brookfield CT who runs a amplifier repair business mostly, who offered to do the same for around $1000. I know now, that according to the wonks here, what you get may not be the best crossover for the 4435s, but they'd be playing something! Hopefully.

Just to be sure - you bought the pair from Ed in Ridgefield CT in the basement of his woodworking shop, right?

Good luck man! If you were near to me, I'd come over to help and commiserate.

I consoled myself for not buying them by purchasing a pair of L112s - which realistically will suit my needs soooo much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtenn View Post
    Well, well..there is a sucker born every minute and please allow me to introduce myself I am a man of dwindling wealth and taste as the new owner of the 4435's which I believe you are referring to. If this hobby were rational, well a lot of hi end companies would be out of business and we all would a lot more time on our hands. With that being said, please check my new thread from today and if anybody can provide some guidance I would be forever indebted to them. The chase has been long for these but I hope the misadventures will be short.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?42037-New-Member-Advice-on-4435-Crossover-Biamp-Setup-with-5235-crossover&p=426349#post426349

I have received an offer from a member of this board (duaneage) JBL 3135 Network (61461).pdfOEM 4435LR OEM Exploded diagram.pdfto build a pair of Crossovers. He is working up a quote for me. Fortunately after much research I have found the original schematics for the crossovers, not just the ones in the technical document. I have attached those schematics here for future reference for anyone else who may need them.

Yes they were Ed's speakers. The L112s are very nice. I have two sets of 4425'2 which I am currently restoring and will probably sell 1 pair of those when complete to help offset my costs of the 4435. I too found the same guy on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    You have purchased an opportunity to learn and build a monstrously cool pair of speakers. In my research prior to not buying them, I found a guy on eBay who offered to build a crossover based on the JBL Pro site schematic, for I believe $800 (for the pair), with a terminal board that looks similar to what came stock. I also talked a very nice guy in Brookfield CT who runs a amplifier repair business mostly, who offered to do the same for around $1000. I know now, that according to the wonks here, what you get may not be the best crossover for the 4435s, but they'd be playing something! Hopefully.

Just to be sure - you bought the pair from Ed in Ridgefield CT in the basement of his woodworking shop, right?

Good luck man! If you were near to me, I'd come over to help and commiserate.

I consoled myself for not buying them by purchasing a pair of L112s - which realistically will suit my needs soooo much better.

Thread Information