Hi all - new to the JBL game and kind of head over heels in love with the sound right now (as I listen to Brandi Carlisle on my L100s). So, a pair of 4435s has popped up locally and I went to look at them today.

Asking price: $2800

Cabinets: good condition - no dings, or water damage. Very solid.

Drivers: All large woofers re-foamed and one of the big woofers has been re-coned as well (they look pretty good). I've found an old for sale ad for these and it states that the diaphragm in the horns were re-done as well.

Missing: grills and both binding post plates in the back (which have a crossover built into them??)

Comes with the external crossover with the correct cards for 4435 operation.

Clearly I'm smitten - who wouldn't be? To behold the beasts in person was pretty great to begin with. While I could go crazy and just buy them, I want to be somewhat smart about it.

What would the possibility of finding those rear plates, intact, to install? Are they necessary if I'm using the external crossover?

AND, lets talk value. They can't really be played as they are, so testing them is probably out of the question. Is $1500 an absurd offer in this condition? I know it's pretty subjective and the non-playable factor is a big problem.

Talk me out of it! Or into it!

The guy offered to have me to his house to hear his mint pair that he plays all the time. He's a great guy and someone I'd like to make a good deal with.

thanks in advance for any and all advice!

chris