Thread: LE8T, LE10A, etc, rubber gasket that holds cone surround to frame HELP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

LE8T, LE10A, etc, rubber gasket that holds cone surround to frame HELP

Anyone come up with a source or alternative to that black gasket that glues to the frame over the edge of the surround on JBL speakers like the LE8T and the LE10A? I have a few drivers missing that stuff and a few that are covered in glue / caulking, etc. in a past owners attempt to"fix" their failing surround.

Might as well ask, does anyone know what chemical is safe so soak these gaskets in to attempt to remove all the glue and caulk??

Thanks!

We have several members who are either professional reconers or are advanced amateurs. With luck one will pop in to answer your questions. Unfortunately they all seem to stop by rather infrequently these days. You might try sending out a PM or two.

Personally I leave this sort of thing to those who have learned the hard way how to do it the right way.

Widget

Personally I leave this sort of thing to those who have learned the hard way how to do it the right way.

Widget

I'm trying to be one of those guys! Any recommendations as to who I might PM?
    Thanks for the help.

Acetone or MEK should do the job. As ever test on a little before doing the whole job.
    Both certainly clean the gunk of of speaker frames.

Hi Eric,

Another suggestion to clean glue on frames or cones is to use rubbing alcool as I do. Easy to find/low cost. Regular one is 70% concentration. Simply Speakers suggests using 91% alcool. See attached pics.

Gotta go easy with the latter as its pretty concentrated. I use cotton swabs for smaller more difficult to reach areas and foam swabs or some cotton rag for larger sections. 100% cotton absorbs more and works better than synthetic fibers, such as polyester for example.

Easy on the soaking and work carefully to avoid cone or suspension damage. Regards.

Richard

Name:  IMG_0909.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  69.6 KBName:  IMG_0911.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  59.6 KB

Thank you guys.

I soaked in acetone overnight and was able to remove a lot of the caulking. The old surround and glue came off fairly easy. I had to soak again overnight and scrape with my fingernail to remove most of the caulking. A third soaking for a few hours and more fingernail work and it clean now. I went through a lot of acetone, that stuff isn't cheap. If it was not for all the caulking the previous owner put all over the surrounds, I think a brush and some acetone would have removed the old surround and glue rather quickly and with a lot less acetone. I should have posted a picture of what a mess these were before I began. Next time ....

Next question. The cones were is great shape and the VC tests good and no rub when I center it and move, so, I may be able to get away with just new surrounds for these. Other than the rather pricey white ones on e-Bay, does anyone have a source for the white surrounds for LE10A and LE8T? I can find the black easily and fairly inexpensive, but would love to do these in white to match their original look.

Thanks,
    Eric

check for loos screws

Hello Eric M.
    Before gluing new foam surrounds check for loos screws on the terminals. There is usually at least one of those screws that has come loos over the years especially on those really old LE8Tś and LE10ś including many of the larger woofers. here is a link that will explain what I mean. And good luck with your rehab job

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...JBL&highlight=
    Flodstroem

I think I have a few extra gaskets for LE8,10. Send me PM

I suggest you touch base with Rick Cobb - [email protected]
    to see if he has any of the rubber surrounds those speakers use.
    I know he's been the go-to guy for the foam surrounds a lot of us here use.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information