Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Give me 10 of each

Hi Tom,

Had a quick look at that Denon unit. Looks pretty nice.

As for my bad luck with mini disks on EBay, well they keep sending me e-mails (4 in two days), pushing the knife in the injury a little deeper each time! with "Are you still interested in getting Mini Disks?" or "The seller accepts offers", etc. One day will be my lucky day I guess...

Have a desktop with Win 8.1 I rarely use, just for back-ups, since I don't like Win 8 at all, same for many folks, prefer using Win 7 laptop. Thought the desktop could save my ass for EBay, but it has Internet Explorer 11 also. So I'm a dead duck for now... LOL

Have already identified the HP Probook Win 10/Edge replacement laptop I want, its available here on special order only, 4 wks delay but i'm not in a rush since it will go on next year's expenses (2019 $ gone). Quite a few greenbacks will fly out the window for this... Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Hi Tom,

Had a quick look at that Denon unit. Looks pretty nice.

Have a desktop with Win 8.1 I rarely use, just for back-ups, since I don't like Win 8 at all, same for many folks, prefer using Win 7 laptop.

Have already identified the HP Probook Win 10/Edge replacement laptop I want, its available here on special order only, 4 wks delay but i'm not in a rush since it will go on next year's expenses (2019 $ gone). Quite a few greenbacks will fly out the window for this... Regards,

Richard
    R-
    I've been in IT since before windows and personal computers ...every win version from 2.75 through 10 . The real turds in the linup were 3.0, 3.1 ME & 8. Detested 8

So I have 1 desktop on XP, 1 laptop (19 inch screen) on 7 and will not upgrade it. have a HP laptop that came with 8 , I couldn't back grade it to 7, so I installed 10 ..nothing but problems.
    Couple of months ago, picked up an i3 (4ghz) with a TB drive and 8gb ram. By the pound, it was under $10 ... came from some bike shop..couldn't get past the login and so let W10 reload a new copy of itself .... it's been pretty good, new daily driver.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post424495
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Hi Tom,

Glad I mentioned my laptop replacement to you, you're giving me some food for thought.

RE:

-one laptop on 8 installed 10 ..nothing but problems.

-one desktop couldn't get past the login and so let W10 reload a new copy of itself .... it's been pretty good, new daily driver.

Was Win 8 laptop maybe too old or not performing enough to run Win 10? So is Win 10 good in your view on a new laptop with factory fresh installed Win 10? Don't want to live again horrors like those of Win 8...

Btw initially had a Win 7 desktop as back-up. However, wife's XP desktop went dead. If I bought her a Win 8 (no Win 7 left) I knew she would strangle me within a few days at most! not being computer savvy at all and Win 8 being quite different. So I gave her my back-up Win 7 desktop and I took the hit getting a new one Win 8, what a drag... Positive side: at least it saved me from strangulation! LOL Regards,

Richard

Hi Tom,

Glad I mentioned my laptop replacement to you, you're giving me some food for thought.

RE:

-one laptop on 8 installed 10 ..nothing but problems.

-one desktop couldn't get past the login and so let W10 reload a new copy of itself .... it's been pretty good, new daily driver.

Was Win 8 laptop maybe too old or not performing enough to run Win 10? So is Win 10 good in your view on a new laptop with factory fresh installed Win 10? Don't want to live again horrors like those of Win 8...

Btw initially had a Win 7 desktop as back-up. However, wife's XP desktop went dead. If I bought her a Win 8 (no Win 7 left) I knew she would strangle me within a few days at most! not being computer savvy at all and Win 8 being quite different. So I gave her my back-up Win 7 desktop and I took the hit getting a new one Win 8, what a drag... Positive side: at least it saved me from strangulation! LOL Regards,

Richard
    HP laptop with W10 upgraded over W8.1 ...... sucked, just too many problems. GUI terrible, ran classic shell to imitate W7. Current model with 6gb ram.

The desktop that I bought had W10, there is a key combo to reload the entire OS. That's worked out pretty well. Still run classic shell.

lots of W10 in this thread. ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ows-10-warning
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the Win 10 Pic. Couldn't stop laughing. Great imagination. You made my day with this... Maybe the revised plans for 737 Max 8?? Regards,

Richard

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the Win 10 Pic. Couldn't stop laughing. Great imagination. You made my day with this... Maybe the revised plans for 737 Max 8?? Regards,

Richard
    yup.

the only issue I had with the new box was that there was a BIOS password. All my training has said that the first thing when diagnosing problems is to make sure CMOS is up to date. But I couldn't with it P/W protected.

I downloaded the manual but it didn't tell me where the jumper was ... had to google an annotated image of the motherboard.

Been dreading doing this ..gather tools, unplug, move junk ...

But today I took 2 Advils, gathered lights, foreceps, camera (cant see close, but then I take a pic and can zoom in) , downloaded new CMOS update ..etc.

Thankfully all went OK. W10 seems faster and sound from it's DAC maybe is better. Should have done this when I got the box, but you know ......

later: found a pic of the Denon

Hi Tom,

So with the help of 2 Advils you had to screw around to get the work done, pretty usual isn't it? What you basically did on the desktop is locate the jumper, clear CMOS with it because of password protection, got a new CMOS and installed it. You're lucky no issues playing with CMOS and W10 recognized everything.

Sometimes what should be an easy job turns into a nightmare, and tough ones go better than expected. Been there too many times with the former. Now when wife asks how long will it take fixing this, answer is: I don't know (not exactly what she wants to hear). Had so many surprises... And while I'm in it might as well do it right to forget about it hopefully for years to come.

RE pic of the big Denon TT. I remember that big platter with the controls, nice. I like the idea of having the controls next to each other on platter rim. Quite clever to have grouped them there. Better than AT LP120 for example having controls everywhere on top panel. But these Denon were pricy as I recall. Regards,

Richard

Hi Tom,

So with the help of 2 Advils you had to screw around to get the work done, pretty usual isn't it? What you basically did on the desktop is locate the jumper, clear CMOS with it because of password protection, got a new CMOS and installed it. You're lucky no issues playing with CMOS and W10 recognized everything.

Richard
    If my desktop was on the desktop, it wouldn't have been too bad, but .... it's on the floor , in the foot well of the desk along with a JBL 120Ti. cables to it's back so couldn't move it out much. did pull the speaker so I could get under the desk. it's dark down there.
    I'd made a map of the motherboard to guide me, but the power supply blocked the area where the jumper is ... so I've got a flashlight in one hand, forceps in the other, blindly trying to find that jumper. Plus my closeup vision doesn't work well.
    Blew off the CMOS and then struggled to get the jumper back on. Poor design on the case opening and it doesn't want to screw closed.
    Then it's "hope this BIOS upgrade doesn't brick the computer". it all worked out, but wouldn't want to do it everyday.

Oh. That Denon minidisk player went out the door within 8 hours of posting the ad. It paid for at least a dozen of my latest audio purchases.

home this TG day doing chores & HD cleanup ... found pics of 2 more of my TT's (yeah, I know..the Delphi doesn't have it's arm yet ) and that SA amp.

Hi Tom,

RE "Oh. That Denon minidisk player went out the door within 8 hours of posting the ad." Pretty good salesman or you married lady luck... And I thought we might be the last two adventurers of the MD format...

Oracle a Canadian made turntable. Not good for my needs tho. They still sell parts for these and even a maintenance kit for the TT, oracle-audio.com. Nice to see good old Spectro amp pic. Never seen the end of my Spectro preamp and EQ, quite reliable for many years and still going when I let them go.

Btw got lucky last night for a replacement laptop! been looking on and off since september. Wife gave me a Staples Black Friday flyer with laptops. One potential HP for me, not a gamer, no touch screen, no cheap ones, etc.

Details on HP site, new model, not seen before, Black Friday discount low ($100.), however has pretty much what I want, nicer price tag and in stock VS Probook previously considered: Notebook 15-DA2027ca. Ordered directly from HP Canada, same Staples price, stayed up late, first Web transaction flunked! re site overload, later second time went through at 2 am... Borrowed from 2020 budget in just a month.

Win 10 home, 15.6"HD, Core i5 10th gen. 4 cores and 6 MB cache memory, 2 hard disks (128 GB SSD + 1 TB SATA), Ge Force video 4GB dedicated, 8 GB DDR4 RAM, DVD writer!, SD Card, etc. Good enough for my needs

Doesn't seem to have some features of a ProBook (e.g. 3D drive guard), may not last as long (present one 9 years no breakdown still going, same for preceding one), but Microsoft already announced the end of Win 10 support for 2025, so basically need the new laptop to last 5 years only...

Probook I had in sight since sept. was $$ and special order. No need to invest that much now knowing Microsoft will pull the carpet again under my feet in just 5 years! Saw another Probook, half price for Black Friday, but HP stripped it good (RAM, HD, etc.) to meet half price target. Not really a good deal for me.

Ebay still sends me two e-mails a day, maybe with the new laptop coming I will be able to get some MDs... Regards,

Richard

Hi Tom,

You mentioned a couple of times running Win 10 sort of like Win 7 ("ran classic shell to imitate W7" post# 19). Can you indicate the path to get there quick, would save some time screwing around. Win 10 default menu presentation, etc. looks more like Win 8 than Win7, I'm starting to get pimples... Thanks.

New laptop received late yesterday. Looks reasonably well made. Let it warm up to room temperature for long while, postman said its been in his truck all day and somewhat cold outside... HP Can. delivered fast.

Unfortunately, can't say the same for LP Gear's carrier, been tracking the three stylus order with them. Carrier sure strapped the small package on the back of a turtle for the way home. Order shipped nov. 22, days before the Black Friday/cyber monday craze. Still not here yet and paid for PRIORITY shipping, pronto!

Seen 5 days from Las Vegas to LA (no more fires there if I'm correct), 10 days from Vegas to Canada border (Customs clearance excluded). Maybe the time it takes on a scooter? Bugger is, LP Gear gives only 20 days of invoice date for returns in case of e.g. a defective or wrong product, could become a wrench in the wheel.

With new laptop in I'm getting closer, I hope, to purchasing some MDs on EBay, which sends more mails, one having a $5. reduction code (big deal), but for principle I'll use it for the hassle given. Regards,

Richard

Hi Tom,

You mentioned a couple of times running Win 10 sort of like Win 7 ("ran classic shell to imitate W7" post# 19). Can you indicate the path to get there quick, would save some time screwing around.

Richard
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/d5llbb...4_3_1.exe/file

Unfortunately, can't say the same for LP Gear's carrier, been tracking the three stylus order with them. Carrier sure strapped the small package on the back of a turtle for the way home. Order shipped nov. 22, days before the Black Friday/cyber monday craze. Still not here yet and paid for PRIORITY shipping, pronto!
    Richard
    I sent a box of Lps' from Portland to my son in Chicago (60622) last year. media mail takes about a week. At about 15 days waiting, I went to tracking ... it was in Puerto Rico (00622) ... it had gone via ship. Sat around in PR, then they sent it by boat back to Miami. They finally figured that the label was mis-coded and air freighted to Chi. All told, nearly a month.

If I send a box to LA , it goes from here to Seattle then South.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the Mediafire thing.

RE "it was in Puerto Rico (00622) ... it had gone via ship. Sat around in PR, then they sent it by boat back to Miami" Had a loud laugh at this one! Pretty fun story, not for sender tho. LPs you sent should be worth more since they're pretty well traveled now, lol, ground, air and boat! Yup, mailing stuff CAN be an adventure...

My LP Gear stuff not arrived yet, the little package is probably in the mountain of boxes at CDN mail center, with all the Black Friday/Cyber Monday shipments to process. I tried to avoid/beat this using fast priority shipping. May also take more time since Canadian Govts have to tax me on the US purchase (calculations, paperwork, etc.) which will be collected by postman at my door to get the package, plus a tax collection fee humorously called "Handling" LOL. Taxes and fee payable cash money on the spot (± $75). Welcome to Canada.

Don't mind stuff going from Vegas to LA for consolidation with others to ship (like you to Seattle), but at the end of the day mine's still a PRI-O-RI-TY shipment = job #1 and got charged for that. USPS dropped the ball on this, as well as yours.

Hopefully LP Gear's delay won't be expired upon receipt of the styluses, in case of an issue with that.

Checked on EBay Canada for mini disks last night with the new laptop, had two USA sellers on Canadian site I was interested in from the last time. Not there anymore... I'll have to look at EBay USA to see if they're still MD active on that site... Others seen (Japan, Australia) too far, too long, too expensive, too costly to ship.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Tom,
    Yup, mailing stuff CAN be an adventure...
    PO told me that if i ship a package to my neighbor (who I can see out
    my front window) , it has to go Portland>Seattle>Portland.

Just like FEDEX used to be ... everything goes through Memphis
    (tho i think they finally fixed that.)

https://about.van.fedex.com/blog/why-memphis/.

the mediafire link should make your 10 behave like 7.

Hi Tom,

Finally, was able to order some new MDs from two US folks who had acceptable pricing. One on the way, the other just accepted the transaction... Another had some at reasonable price but in Argentina, too far. An Australia guy had good pricing, plus CAD worth more than AUD nice, but shipping cost was almost 4 times the MDs price, no thanks.

LP Gear stuff hasn't moved, cleared Canadian Customs on Dec.1, and has been transfered to Canada Post since Dec. 2 (see pic). Been sleeping there for the week, since it doesn't eat bread nor drinks any beer I guess, lol. Regards,

Richard

Name:  IMG_0922.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  88.3 KB

Thread Information