Thread: JBL 123A-1 vs. 123A-3

JBL 123A-1 vs. 123A-3

What are the differneces between the 123A-1 and 123A-3 12" drivers? I understand both have been used in the L-100 speaker and others. I've seen both for sale on ebay and was wondering if one is better that the other. Your response and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Obsolete
    I'd say anything with the higher number has to be better.

I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphh
    What are the differneces between the 123A-1 and 123A-3 12" drivers? I understand both have been used in the L-100 speaker and others. I've seen both for sale on ebay and was wondering if one is better that the other. Your response and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
    I do believe most feel the 123A-3 was the better sounding speaker. You have to watch if you are going to use one in place of the other. Say replacing the 123A-1 in an L100A with the 123a-3 from a L100A Late. You may have a reverse in polarity. There has been much discussion on this topic here. Do a search and I'm sure you will find enough info to keep you reading for a while.

123A 1 vrs 123A 3

My old info states
    123A 1 reverse polarity
    123A 3 doesn't mention it (can we assume its normal )
    Also 123A 3 came out late in the L100
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I'd say anything with the higher number has to be better.
    Dammit, Giskard!!

The 123A-1 and 123A-3 are design equivalents. I couldn't say they are "acoustic equivalents" because the -1 is POSITVE, the -3 is NEGATIVE ("normal" to us JBL'ers... ) and therefore they will create different airflow direction in the same L100 cabinet, and thus slightly different acoustics (if you were to interchange them). The voicecoils on the -1 and -3 are wired opposite direction of each other is all.

These are easily interchanged, however, just mind your polarity depending on the L100 version you have.

Odd, isn't it - that I, the self proclaimed L100 basher has become a near expert on the species...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I swapped in the -3 in place of the -1. It has all the good point of the -1 and then some. It is sweet and warm with deeper stronger bass. As far as polarity goes, The assumption I made was that as long as I switched both, it shouldn't be a problem. Anyone disagree with this? I also plan on replacing the pots and adding bypass caps to the crossover in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha
    The assumption I made was that as long as I switched both, it shouldn't be a problem.
    You sir, are a genius. A perfect strategy.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Uh, no. The woofers operate in the same frequency range as the midrange drivers, and you want to be sure that the woofers and midranges are wired in the correct phase, (relative to each other) or the output of one driver could cancel out the output of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C
    Uh, no..
    Uh no.

That depends upon what you seek.

The L100A (late series) is factory wired just that way.

I had hoped we could get away with not posting this damned "ts" again, but noooo....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Odd, isn't it - that I, the self proclaimed L100 basher has become a near expert on the species...
    Like them or not the L100’s and all the offspring (4310,L100, L100A, L100A Late, 4311, etc.) are very similar but with differences in drivers and polarities. Do to the vast number of these models still out there I suspect this question will come up again and again. It would be nice if an “expert” on this matter would put together a comprehensive mother of a post to cover it all so to speak. Maybe even in a chart form to include the TS. I know all the info is out there, but some of it is conflicting and a bit confusing. Then when this issue comes up again, and it will, a simply direction to this post will set anyone straight. Maybe even give it a special place to reside say under “Product Profiles”.

Obsolete

And I was sooo excited when people started asking about all the other JBL loudspeaker systems besides the L100...

Dammit, Giskard!!
    What!?
    Know your enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonj
    It would be nice if an “expert” on this matter would put together a comprehensive mother of a post to cover it all so to speak.
    I nominate Bo!
    I can think of a dozen things I'd rather do than a comprehensive post on L100's - jump in front of the backhoe in my neighbors yard right now for instance...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonj
    ...I suspect this question will come up again and again.
    It already has. Hell, sometimes when I'm drunk, I bring it up myself just for entertainment!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

It already has. Hell, sometimes when I'm drunk, I bring it up myself just for entertainment!
    Just think do it one more time real good and you will never have to explain it again. More time for drinking

Old thread but funny as heck....

Thread Information