Thread: Altec 19

Altec 19

Hello, i am new at this forum, i have a pair of Altec 19 with new crossovers from ebay seller master mutter , I am using a Ear V20 (2x24w) and its a very good match, i also have a Conrad Johnson pv10 preamp and i planning to use a SET power amp, maybe a 45, 300b or 2a3 tube amp.

Any tips from other 19 owners on what works well with them? I would like to try a CJ power amp with them at some point because of soundstage. Maybe Acoustic research too.

I like tubes but i understand a big solid state would give better bass and control over the 15" elements.

My 19s are in good condition but i would like to tune the horns a bit down, any tips on how to do it? I am missing the foams around the horns but i read it doesnt really matter much and its mostly a cosmetic detail. What do other 19 owners think about it?

Thank you

Altec 19 small room

I have my 19 modell in a very small room with a lot of damping, any idea how to get better sound from them?Name:  IMG_20200510_160818.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  53.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hpm-1100 View Post
    I have my 19 modell in a very small room with a lot of damping, any idea how to get better sound from them?Name:  IMG_20200510_160818.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  53.3 KB

I really think you need more separation between those two boxes.

Can you re-orient your system within that room ( iow; point the speakers a different direction and gain some separation ) ?

I've found that a reasonable measured distance between the horn throats is 6ft ( 1.83 Metres ) when wanting to achieve decent imaging in a tight room.

When speakers are that close to walls ( as yours are ) one really wants to control ( with some sound absorption ) the first reflection points ( found immediately to the speakers on the side walls for a couple of feet ).

Yeah you need a bigger boat!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post

Can you re-orient your system within that room ( iow; point the speakers a different direction and gain some separation ) ?

I've found that a reasonable measured distance between the horn throats is 6ft ( 1.83 Metres ) when wanting to achieve decent imaging in a tight room.

When speakers are that close to walls ( as yours are ) one really wants to control ( with some sound absorption ) the first reflection points ( found immediately to the speakers on the side walls for a couple of feet ).

I moved the speakers to the long wall, much better!!! I can pin point all the instruments now. I sitt a bit close to the speakers but i have some demping behind my chair, between the speakers and in the corners. Works very well i think, its a bit like listening with headphones. Name:  IMG_20200519_185016.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  49.7 KB

Reminds me of the ‘70s Altec car audio advertisement. I snagged this image from the interwebz.

All kidding aside, welcome to the Forum, and I am glad you have been able to find a better solution.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

[QUOTE=Mr. Widget;429808]Reminds me of the ‘70s Altec car audio advertisement. I snagged this image from the interwebz.

All kidding aside, welcome to the Forum, and I am glad you have been able to find a better solution.

Yes, my stereo room at the moment is as big as an average sized American car but its just a temporary solution. Works ok actually.

Thread Information