Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL L200/300 restoration help.

Quote Originally Posted by retox View Post
    It appears that the original cabinets are made of particle board and veneer. What material are you suggesting?
    second on Baltic Birch Plywood. You cannot find those in the generic big box hardware store. Instead I found good quality one from lumber store. Highly recommend 1" (actually, 24mm).

Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    Do you just use the stuff from hardware store? Are you concerned about the fibers getting into the air with all the vibration?
    I bought a 4’ X 100’ roll of the stuff JBL uses /used from CTI? I am down to the point where I should order another. I will have to see if I can remember for sure where it came from.

I don’t sweat airborne fibers. They are heavy.

Is glass a carcinogenic in CA now?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Is glass a carcinogenic in CA now?
    Yeah, but luckily you are in Nevada so no need to worry. It is only a carcinogen in CA.

Seriously, I doubt the particles are small enough to be a carcinogen, but I bet it is still quite unhealthy to breath the stuff. The stuff JBL uses/used and the Wrapon stuff I use is fairly non-shedding, but if coaxed, I imagine you can get some of it airborne.

Widget

Simply wear a face mask during installation.

It’s only a problem when you start cutting or tearing apart the fibre glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Simply wear a face mask during installation.

It’s only a problem when you start cutting or tearing apart the fibre glass.

I will wear protection...I worked with fiberglass insulation when I was a lot younger.

Quote Originally Posted by retox View Post
    After thinking about a going forward plan, I decided to refinish the cabinets and clean, paint and rewire using all the existing parts.
    Once they are back in action do some upgrades starting with the woofers.

Attachment 85322

After I complete the upgrades I may build new cabinets, but to be honest, looks aren't everything...

Some more questions, do most of you who have restored the L200/L300s use fiber glass insulation for the batting?
    Do you all normally repaint the 077 tweeter outer housing and flange if they are a little scuffed up?

-retox
    I drew up the wiring diagram as I understand it. This was wired by the original owner and so I wanted to have you all take a look at it for any mistakes.
    Also,I believe the Green and Red wires terminated at the Red posts on the drivers. Is this correct? Red is the positive side of the drivers, is green the positive wire?
    See the attached PDF

Thanks

-retox

Wiring Diagram.pdf

Your diagram shows the same color/connections as mine were done (by a JBL Pro tech) when I had them add the N8000/077s.
    (I don't use the LX16 anymore, am bi-amped directly to the new woof and the N8000.)

Quote Originally Posted by nedseg View Post
    Your diagram shows the same color/connections as mine were done (by a JBL Pro tech) when I had them add the N8000/077s.
    (I don't use the LX16 anymore, am bi-amped directly to the new woof and the N8000.)

Thanks, I feel better about taking them apart and putting them back together.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    Do you just use the stuff from hardware store? Are you concerned about the fibers getting into the air with all the vibration?
    I've normally just covered the fiberglass insulation using fiberglass window screen to avoid stray fibres

Quote Originally Posted by short_circutz2 View Post
    I've normally just covered the fiberglass insulation using fiberglass window screen to avoid stray fibres

thanks, really good idea, was thinking about putting screen over the port on the inside.

I've made some progress on one speaker. I need to complete the finish coat and attach the riser.
    I was wondering what speaker cloth most of you use. Not sure what color I want yet, but would like to do some informed research.

Name:  IMG-0384.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  77.8 KB

Very Nice!!

Foam grills, very exact reproductions for the original look, they mount on ordinary window screens:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-L200-RE...YAAOSw53NY-4~Y

or
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-New-JBL...4AAOxyUrZSviEq

I looked over the suggested grills and decided to make my own, but thanks for the suggestion it really helped with my choice in color and style. I ordered the badges this morning.
    I am also looking at the repop lenses but wanted to know if they make an improvement to the sound especially in a small room.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-2308-L9...EAAMXQdm5Q9T~T

My listening room is approx. 12 x 12 with 8 foot ceiling. I will be using one of the following configurations:

Marantz PM-17
    Marantz PM-7005
    Dynaco PAS 3 with Dynaco ST 70

My source is an Empire 208 with Jelco 370H tonearm, or AR XA with Grace 707 Tonearm
    and a Marantz CD 6008.

I know these speaker are very large but I normally listen around 80db. I listen to acoustic rock and blues, some jazz, and some pop.

Thanks

-retox

Name:  IMG-0394.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  64.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That’s quite a transformation, congratulations!

I suggest you get the lenses. The Kenrick Sound reproduction lenses are excellent quality and the H91 horns were never meant to be used without an appropriate acoustic lens.

Widget

Thanks Mr Widget, I will get a letter out to Santa ASAP...

Thread Information