Thread: Restoring L36a Decades

Restoring L36a Decades

Restoring L36a Decades I just Aquired. Came without 125A woofers, 8 mounting screws, and 4 screw anchors.

My goal is to keep original. Does anyone know where I can find the woofer screws and anchors (see pic of 1 anchor)?

I am looking for 2 125A woofers and may have a line on some to look at locally.

The cabinets are solid and good veneer, some minor stains on the top. Will likely sand and refinish
    Does anyone know how best to replicate the "honey oak" looking original finish? The veneer is oak.

The grills are brown and one small hole on the bottom of the front "V", otherwise pretty good shape.

Name:  IMG_0429.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  92.9 KBName:  IMG_0431.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  59.2 KBName:  IMG_0430.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  35.9 KB

Thanks for any help/advice.

SS

T-nuts are available at most hardware stores. Lowe's in my area carries an assortment. Take a bolt and a nut with you and see if you can match them up. Good luck with the project.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Send me a PM, I have extras you can have

Quote Originally Posted by S S View Post
    Thanks for any help/advice.
    SS
    Those "T-nuts" often come loose and then you turn the bolt and it just turns & turns.

when I install them , will put glue in the tines. reach inside and put in correct place and then while holding the nut, insert the bolt and tighten to set the nut in place.

after glue dries, remove bolt and you are set. yeah, it may be an extra step , but will save headaches in the long run if you ever remove the driver again.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thanks for the great tips!

JBL4ever, thanks for the offer on the Tnuts & screws!

I had a nightmare thinking about those Tnuts spinning and not being able to get the woofer out. YIKES! I'll be gluing for sure my 100s, and 112s as well.

The hunt for some original 125A woofers continues.

Found one 125a woofer, and looking for a second. All set with screws and Tnuts. Now need the round clips that secure the JbL emblems to the grills on the inside. I'll check a hardware store. Anybody know what they are called?

THANKS!

You might keep an eye out for 127A woofers. 125A and 127A are the exact same except 125A has the inverted dust-cap, 127A has the dust-cap in the "normal" orientation. I see that you already have one 125A now, but with vintage woofers, sometimes you can even find a pair from one place cheaper than a single from another place. Or if you got a single 127A you could always "fix" the dust-cap orientation yourself, so that it matches the 125A.

Wink

Thanks for all the help. I located some 125a woofers and installed them this weekend. The T-nuts are epoxied into the backside (used a washer on the front and just the screws and t-nuts until the 24hr epoxy set). Rock solid and you can push without popping the t-nuts out of the back and having them spin. I really do like them in my office (~11'x13'). I also added a pair of L26s to the fleet. I really like them both for this room size. I now have L112s, L100s, L36s, and L26s all setup in my office. (getting crowded). The 112s are the best overall with a nice low end. However, there are some recordings the sound great on the 100s, L36s, and L26s. At this point they all do certain things well. With 4 speaker options in 1 room now It'll take me a while to sort it all out, but for now it's great to have JBL options.

I need to start investigating refinishing the cabinets on the L36s. They have some very minor stains on the top that should sand out. I could use some finish suggestions for the oak to keep looking original, and I'll be repainting the black front & rear. Any suggestions for dark gray/black paint spray brand/color to match? I ordered some brown & blue grill cloth for the L26s for the 2 sets of grills. I may do orange for the L36s. The grills are all OK but could use new cloth.

I'll get some pictures up this week of the mentioned speakers.

Thanks again for the help. You guys make this site awesome!

Here's the pic of the L-26, L36, L100, & L112s. They all sound so different, but placement is a huge factor as I have swapped them around a bit. Up high (3rd level sounds best. My office desk/computer station is on the opposite wall facing away (backwards soundstage), but I can just turn around in my desk chair. Sorry Apple pics end up sideways no matter what. Admin, please rotate if you can edit. Thanks!

See righted Pic in next post................... Thanks Odd
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Better for the neck this way.

Name:  JBLs2.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  92.6 KB
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Thread Information